Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

There was a thread on the Observer board that Dave posted in just a day or two ago that I can't seem to find, but Dave said the site is doing very well right now, and is driven largely just by WWE and UFC. I also recall Bryan a few weeks ago saying that the site had the lowest percentage of subscriber loss post-WrestleMania that they've had a in a long time, maybe ever.

When people requested more old Observers in the online archive, Dave asked if a $1 a month subscription increase would be worth it. Are the old Observers that much of a money maker or that hard to transcribe that it would take a dollar month until the end of time to subsidize having them being put on the site faster than one a week?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When people requested more old Observers in the online archive, Dave asked if a $1 a month subscription increase would be worth it. Are the old Observers that much of a money maker or that hard to transcribe that it would take a dollar month until the end of time to subsidize having them being put on the site faster than one a week?

Most of those old observers would only exist in physical paper form, I'd bet that for the one a week that gets uploaded they have someone type out the full thing cover to cover and put it on the website. So yeah Dave & Bryan probably think it'd be a big investment of time or money to upload 3 - 5 old observers per week.

I wish I could remember the details but for some reason or another in the early 00's once or twice I got Wordperfect copies of the Observer that Dave emailed to me. I will assume that Dave has been good keeping safe copies of those in digital format so it's probably only the really old ones that need to be transcribed.

Back then Wordperfect was already out of style - I wonder if Dave still uses it. :)

Most of those old observers would only exist in physical paper form, I'd bet that for the one a week that gets uploaded they have someone type out the full thing cover to cover and put it on the website. So yeah Dave & Bryan probably think it'd be a big investment of time or money to upload 3 - 5 old observers per week.

You are saying these papers can't be scanned and uploaded as pdfs?

That was one of the main things I mentioned when filling out the survey they posted for members. Nothing makes the site look more bush league when they get emails from random people then publish them as columns on the front page.

This has legitimately happened with one of my friends. He sent Dave an email about something or another, not intending for it to be published on the site, and it was up on the site later that day. He was confused.

On the negative side functionality wise it is a complete mess as member login does not work (it seems as if the user database has not been ported yet). Alvarez sayed that they had to switch to the new site months before they planned to do without having it tested (or apparently having all functionality in place).

"HAD to switch"? That's... uh... weird.

As for startup bugs, I also noticed that at least one or two of the free podcasts refused to play and insisted I had to be a member to hear them.

Hey, Bix, just sayin'... wouldn't it be awful if the new website JUST SO HAPPENED to mysteriously erase Jeff Hamlin's Raw recaps every week?

• 3 weeks later...

are we really supposed to believe that all the people watching the New Japan show on the 12th were complaining that Mauro Ronallo (can never remember his name) and Josh Barnett aren't commentating. Most of the people watching the show were watching the Japanese version of commentary. By "all" he must mean the 50 people with a Wrestling observer board member name and a new Japan World subscription

I can't wait for the end of Wrestle Kingdom 2016 when Meltzer shit over the show because Striker and Kevin Kelly are calling the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Discussion about how good Memphis wrestling was on the Observer board, and this is Dave's synopsis of it. My head almost exploded -

"Jerry Lawler was one of the greatest weekly performers in the history of wrestling, and Lance & Dave were the best announcing duo of all-time. Jerry Jarrett was a booker ahead of his time. And Jimmy Hart was a phenomenal manager. Aside from that, and guys like Eaton and all the guys who started that became stars later, it was pretty overrated. Take Lawler away and it really wouldn't have been much, that's how important Lawler was."

I don't know. I guess the level of head-explosion depends on what he means by "and guys like Eaton who started that became stars later", because that's a lot of people.