Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DM: It's a weird thing because Tomoaki Honma actually has some deal going on television where he's doing a gimmick where he's in love with this very famous, or formerly famous, pop singer and model from the nineties who was really big in like 1995, 1997...Anyway, his real girlfriend, who nobody knows about, who's actually a former wrestler from years and years back, it's his girlfriend for 18 years, she’s jealous of this - she's a wrestler - she's jealous of this worked angle he's doing on television, where he's in love with, you know, the pop star girl. So she's going through depression because he's doing a worked angle and anyway, it's women. What can I say?

And then they went out to dinner- this would have been very recently – they go out to dinner and another girl shows up who I guess he was having an affair with four years ago. Now, keep in mind these two have been together for 18 years, so when you do the math, it’s not a good thing. So they get into a really big fight once they come back from dinner and she’s going off on him something fierce and I guess somewhere in the point of her going off on him, she realized she’s gone way too far with whatever she was saying, so she apologizes. And he kicks her in the face. Allegedly kicks her in the face. So, she said that and said that he’s mean to the dog and…it’s one of those things.

The TV show thing reads like a complete red herring within this as an actual story, which is what happened surrounding the woman with whom he had an affair, the domestic violence claims, and whether it's been a recurring issue.

I actually think that the worst thing that Dave says or implies is within the TV show part, which is "she was a wrestler so she should understand kayfabe " (also, and not that she was a huge star, but "from years and years back" is a dig at her fame level compared to Honma's... so he should get a pass for having had a more prolific career?). But the way that he trails off on the dinner incident minimizes the hell out of the actual violence and in a way implies that she should be able to handle a kick to the face. Kyoko Ichiki was a pro wrestler, yes, but she's also maybe five feet tall and about 120 pounds. That just sounds so creepy.

I am in no way saying this to justify Meltzer's "Women, amirite?" remark - which did come off quite badly, but in the name of armchair psychology: hasn't Meltzer in the past talked about having some ex-girlfriend who *he* characterizes as a complete lunatic? The one whose hair he smashed a banana into? He's talked about her a couple times, and whenever he makes a "Women are irrational and sometimes one gets into terrible domestic arguments with them" remark (this isn't the first time), I assume he's comparing whatever Wrestler/Fighter X did to that time Big Dave had to lay the banana hammer down.

I am in no way saying this to justify Meltzer's "Women, amirite?" remark - which did come off quite badly, but in the name of armchair psychology: hasn't Meltzer in the past talked about having some ex-girlfriend who *he* characterizes as a complete lunatic? The one whose hair he smashed a banana into? He's talked about her a couple times, and whenever he makes a "Women are irrational and sometimes one gets into terrible domestic arguments with them" remark (this isn't the first time), I assume he's comparing whatever Wrestler/Fighter X did to that time Big Dave had to lay the banana hammer down.

Ummm...I think we've all have dated someone we now think is a little nutty, but that doesn't mean that everyone of the opposite sex is crazy. That goes double for someone who thinks it is OK to smash a banana into his girlfriend's hair.

The TV show thing reads like a complete red herring within this as an actual story, which is what happened surrounding the woman with whom he had an affair, the domestic violence claims, and whether it's been a recurring issue.

I actually think that the worst thing that Dave says or implies is within the TV show part, which is "she was a wrestler so she should understand kayfabe " (also, and not that she was a huge star, but "from years and years back" is a dig at her fame level compared to Honma's... so he should get a pass for having had a more prolific career?). But the way that he trails off on the dinner incident minimizes the hell out of the actual violence and in a way implies that she should be able to handle a kick to the face. Kyoko Ichiki was a pro wrestler, yes, but she's also maybe five feet tall and about 120 pounds. That just sounds so creepy.

Nothing in the way he said it or the words he used implied she "should be able to handle a kick to the face." Not at all. Fuck. Same with his girlfriend wrestling years ago. More like, she's ACTUALLY a former wrestler from years and years ago, hey whaddaya know? With about 2 dozen "ums" and "sos" in between. Reading way too much into that.

But the way he still mocked the girlfriend's depression as due to a fake wrestling angle or "women being emotional" when there are obviously serious problems in the relationship was bizarre. According to Dave "It's not a big deal in Japan" compared to what would happen in the US, he hasn't been taken off shows, and the story wasn't even brought up till the end of the show, where it came in as a mailbag question.

DM: It's a weird thing because Tomoaki Honma actually has some deal going on television where he's doing a gimmick where he's in love with this very famous, or formerly famous, pop singer and model from the nineties who was really big in like 1995, 1997...Anyway, his real girlfriend, who nobody knows about, who's actually a former wrestler from years and years back, it's his girlfriend for 18 years, she’s jealous of this - she's a wrestler - she's jealous of this worked angle he's doing on television, where he's in love with, you know, the pop star girl. So she's going through depression because he's doing a worked angle and anyway, it's women. What can I say?

And then they went out to dinner- this would have been very recently – they go out to dinner and another girl shows up who I guess he was having an affair with four years ago. Now, keep in mind these two have been together for 18 years, so when you do the math, it’s not a good thing. So they get into a really big fight once they come back from dinner and she’s going off on him something fierce and I guess somewhere in the point of her going off on him, she realized she’s gone way too far with whatever she was saying, so she apologizes. And he kicks her in the face. Allegedly kicks her in the face. So, she said that and said that he’s mean to the dog and…it’s one of those things.

This does come off as dismissive and that Dave is too much in the wrestling bubble. I bet Honma's alleged Yakuza ties were not brought up either.

He's made similar "women are just kinda crazy" remarks in the past on unrelated things too.

He has also said racist and homophobic jokes are just a harmless part of locker room jock culture and don't mean anything. I'm not sure if there is anyone who makes a living off of wrestling who is willing to confront wrestling's dark underbelly as much as Dave, but it shows how strong the denial of that is throughout wrestling when even he -- perhaps the most truthful guy in it -- has trouble facing certain truths.

Laughed out loud at this having never heard of the story, hysterical.

He's made similar "women are just kinda crazy" remarks in the past on unrelated things too.

If you date a crazy woman in high school, I get it, some women are crazy. If you date a crazy woman in college, OK, it be that way some times. If you date a crazy woman in your mid 20s when you are finding yourself, I understand, we've all been there. But...if you call every woman you've ever dated crazy, guess what? You are the crazy person.

Dave was really reaching on the last Observer radio with the La Sombra "gardener" quote from someone who he was watching that match against Rush. Listen I agree that the WWE doesn't have the greatest reputation when it comes to most new talents especially minorities but does everyone really think that Mexicans coming to the WWE are mostly going to be treated like the Mexicools.

Might be an issue more with Dave's friend

Re: the Honma deal, it sounds like Dave's badly handled discussion of the situation was based on what his New Japan sources were telling him. Of course, you shouldn't always believe what your sources are telling you and repeat verbatim.

Dave was really reaching on the last Observer radio with the La Sombra "gardener" quote from someone who he was watching that match against Rush. Listen I agree that the WWE doesn't have the greatest reputation when it comes to most new talents especially minorities but does everyone really think that Mexicans coming to the WWE are mostly going to be treated like the Mexicools.

Might be an issue more with Dave's friend

I agree that it is more unlikely that La Sombra gets such a degrading gimmick in today's environment, but WWE is hurt by their past. You can't remove the stain of decades worth of offensive racial stereotypes overnight, especially when they haven't yet been completely eliminated (see New Day before they turned heel and R-Truth, for example).

LOL... not one of Dave's better moments. Wishing that Commodore 64 of his had auto correct....

Second round: Rockhold landing punches. Hard body kick by Rockhold. . Weidman with a body kick. Both missed punches. Hard body kick by Weidmnan. Head kick by Rockhold. Low kick by Rockhold. Weidnan went for a takedown but Rockhold blocked and landed a body kick. Hard body kick by Rockhold. Weidman went for a takedown but Rockhold blocked and landed a body kick hard. Hard body kick by Rockhold. Another body kick by Rockhold. hter toehr bodfy kick by Rockhold. Weidman missed a kick. Rockhol with a right. Left by Weidamn. Hook kic by Rockhold just missed. High kick by Rockhold. Big right by Rockhold. Best pucn of the fight. Right by Rcoihold. Left by Rockhold. Body shot by Rockhold. Weidman a with a right. Body kci by Wedijan. Body kick by Rockhold. Weidman with lowk kicks. Rockhold lipped a puncha dladned a right. Low kick by Rockhold. Body kic by WEdiman hurt yhim. Rochold with aleft. Rockhold 20-18.

Why even do that kind of play by play for MMA? Seems like it's just going to make it that much harder for you to actually watch the fight and it really doesn't give more of a sense of how the fight is going than giving a quick summary between rounds.

• 4 weeks later...