Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

So will Bryan review World of Hurt 2 w/Roddy Piper instead of Lance Storm now? As it is as important as 90s Puro and Lucha remember? :P

World of Hurt is the one wrestling show that I watch over all others these days. If I had to make a choice, that'd be it. Before that it was Tough Enough. The new ROH show coming out I will be watching too.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Generally agree. But with the WON HOF, the discussion of a candidate from last year (say Steve Williams) is relevant to the candidate if he's still on the ballot.

There are several threads like that. The Benoit thread isn't an easy thing to go back through and read. :/ But when we were recently talking about what we first through when hearing the news, it was useful to flip back to the top of the thread and read the first two pages. [FWIW: Having seen and been in too many death related thread over the years, this was a pretty level headed bunch of posters.]

If there isn't a WON HOF Thread buried somewhere, I'd suggest that the new 2011 thread be turned into simply "WON HOF" once the current cycle is done. If someone is going to pimp Kensuke Sasaki for the WON HOF, it would be nice to find it in a catch all thread.

John

So rather than put Meltzer stuff in this thread, we should open up a new thread every time we want to talk about Dave and use the search to find all the earlier threads?

There is value to some omnibus threads. The conversation in the WON HOF on a lot of candidates doesn't change much from year to year. Do we even remember what was said about Taue as a HOF candidate the last time he was on the ballot? I don't.

John

A couple interesting thing in Dave's Sunday update

- He covers Conan bombing, I guess because there's a wrestling connection via HHH at one time being considered for the project?

- He has a blurb from "Scott Keith in Saskatoon" about bad attendance and cancelations of WWE shows in the town

Also, who is this Chuck Langerman guy who's providing him with trivia about where guys went to high school and such? I enjoy it, it's just odd how it's become a regular feature of the updates out of the blue

This is totally random, but I was reading the August 1999 issue to "Black Belt" magazine, and there is a two page article by Stephen Quadros that is basically him responding to Dave Meltzer's peculiar claim that "all the one-punch knockouts that take place in the K-1 are works".

A couple interesting thing in Dave's Sunday update

- He covers Conan bombing, I guess because there's a wrestling connection via HHH at one time being considered for the project?

- He has a blurb from "Scott Keith in Saskatoon" about bad attendance and cancelations of WWE shows in the town

Also, who is this Chuck Langerman guy who's providing him with trivia about where guys went to high school and such? I enjoy it, it's just odd how it's become a regular feature of the updates out of the blue

The Conan thing was because HHH was openly lobbying, practically begging, to be considered for the part. His cosplay routine where he did his entrance at WM dressed in Conan gear was allegedly him giving the producers a visual of what he would look like in the role. I'm guessing he wanted it so bad because it's a role Arnold made famous and Hunter has such a tremendous hard-on for anything involving bodybuilders.

Speaking of, the tidbit where Dave mentioned Stephanie gave Hunter posters (not clear if it was several or just one) of all the Mr. Olympia winners for Christmas one year gave me the mental image of Hunter as

Own up which one of you guys did this:

Meltzer recently lost interest in Pro-Wrestling and because of this, he has renamed his newsletter from the "Wrestling Observer" to the "Mixed Martial Arts Observer". He is in constant communication with UFC president Dana White and devotes 90% of the newsletter & subscription audio content to MMA. Since mid 2010, Meltzer has refused to watch WWE Smackdown. When asked about his decision to not cover the #2 Pro-Wrestling TV show in North America, Meltzer had the following to say "between reporting on UFC and talking to Dana White, I just can't find the time".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Meltzer

Own up which one of you guys did this:

Meltzer recently lost interest in Pro-Wrestling and because of this, he has renamed his newsletter from the "Wrestling Observer" to the "Mixed Martial Arts Observer". He is in constant communication with UFC president Dana White and devotes 90% of the newsletter & subscription audio content to MMA. Since mid 2010, Meltzer has refused to watch WWE Smackdown. When asked about his decision to not cover the #2 Pro-Wrestling TV show in North America, Meltzer had the following to say "between reporting on UFC and talking to Dana White, I just can't find the time".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Meltzer

Meltzer? I thought he died a few years back after he went crazy on an airplane, stormed the cockpit, and was forcibly subdued by some passengers. ;)

(I also love how his birthdate was changed to 1959 a few months ago for some reason and nobody has bothered to correct it)

So does it ever bother anyone else when someone passes away and Meltzer will post the headline as something really vauge and open ended that could apply to any # of people????

He usually only does it for older stars or indy wrestlers most people wouldn't immediatly know and it always kind of struck me as a dick head thing to do and in really bad taste to bust out the whole "click here to find out" thing when someone dies.

2 recent examples

Former Los Angeles regular passes away

Former woman's champion passes away

If I had the energy, I'd do a full analysis of the WON against all the standards to which he holds wrestling and MMA companies. Drawing new fans, pushing talented performers, thinking outside the wrestling bubble, operating ethically, making good business decisions, etc. He's guilty of quite a few things he accuses wrestling promoters of being guilty of.