Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

Does anyone know why they can't say hospital? It was really jarring on Monday.

Legitimately, it might be a hassle for the actual area hospital to deal with people who think the wrestler is actually there.

That happened to the ambulance that took Bret Hart to the hospital when he got hit by the car on RAW

...because the ambulance company's phone number was on the ambulances back doors. They had to post a message on their website asking people to stop calling.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shitty move. They should just have everyone else stop doing it.

Whaaat? I could see this argument if we're talking about the running hugs that Edge used to do, but some guys do it really well. Roman Reigns spears have always looked good from what I've seen. Big Show's are kind of hit and miss but I think that has more to do with how big his opponent is, like not trying to kill anyone too small to really take it.

Does anyone know why they can't say hospital? It was really jarring on Monday.

Legitimately, it might be a hassle for the actual area hospital to deal with people who think the wrestler is actually there.

That happened to the ambulance that took Bret Hart to the hospital when he got hit by the car on RAW

...because the ambulance company's phone number was on the ambulances back doors. They had to post a message on their website asking people to stop calling.

To this end, I was watching Clash 17 last night and Jim Ross phoned Eric Bischoff for an update on Sting's knee injury and he specifically mentioned that Eric was at "a medical facility". So, it's been done like that in various places for some time, so it seems, and the above would be the most sensible reason for it.

• 4 months later...

Leaked WWE terminology memo in the Observer this week:

A leaked memo from a few years ago stated a few things. Vince has said that nobody going forward can use the phrase “Granddaddy of them all” for WrestleMania. He feels it makes WrestleMania feel old and dated. Also, nobody is allowed to use the phrase “choke” for a submission move. Undertaker’s Hell’s Gate has also been named the “Triangle Submission hold” even though it’s a gogoplata, which is not a triangle although it looks sort of similar. Kevin Dunn stated announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.” Vince has banned the use of terms “Five star match” and “Match of the Year.” It’s funny, because when Arn Anderson does agent reports, he loves to use the “five star match” phrase for a match that tears down the house. As part of the memo banning those terms he also wanted all announcers to “stop reading the dirt sheets” with the idea it influences what they say. Funny, when they book for inside fans. Stephanie McMahon sent a memo for announcers to never use the phrase “the referee didn’t see it” when a heel is doing something behind the referees back. She wrote that it makes it seem like the announcers are treating the fans like they are in grade school. She would prefer “the referee’s vision was impaired” or “the referee’s vision was blocked.” Also, never use the word “hatred” or “hate” when describing a feud. Also, the announcers should never say a talent doesn’t care about winning a match. Also, when somebody is bleeding, never make references to it or use the word blood.

Matt Striker had to be responsible for the dirtsheet rule.

WWE no longer using Granddaddy of them all made me think of Vince's love for the term "a schillacking" for a beating back in the today.

Vince should reinstitute the term "keester" to describe a wrestler's behind and "kisser" for people's mouths too.

I don't even think Cole is that bad these days. JBL has become the worst announcer on RAW by far and is someone who could probably do with some kind of 'filter'. He sounds like he's taking the piss most of the time. He switches between being heel and face whenever he feels like it (he loves Los Matadores and WHAT'S UP!, but will defend the evil corporation to his grave). He isn't much different to TNA Taz.

Lawler is still awful obviously, but with JBL's overbearing yelling and nonsense he seems to have faded into the background.

What makes the "parrot the interviewer's question" thing funny is doing that is the first thing cops/profilers/etc look at to see if someone's lying. The longer it takes for someone to answer a question usually means they are trying to come up with a convincing lie.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but what about the "ref didn't see it" is talking down to the audience as if they are grade schoolers? As in "the teacher didn't see it" when the kids did something behind the teacher's back? Or it just sounds too simplistic?

My guess was that even though they book refs to come across as incompetent, they don't want it pointed out so blatantly or obviously, as to 1. Avoid referees being seen as an ineffective tool in matches and/or 2. Avoid putting unnecessary heat on the referees in an unintended manner.

• 1 month later...

It probably wasn't anything special, but last night commentary felt especially bad to me

Noticed this too. Lawler was in full "LOOK OUT!" "OH MY!" mode. Cole and JBL were giggling the entire time even in the main event which I found really irritating. I'm not sure what else it was but it just seemed really poor last night, maybe increased expectations with a less-than-stellar build and the need to have a strong go-home show. I mean, it wasn't long ago that GASP! it was the announcers job to help sell the PPV.

Michael Cole is incapable of talking like an actual human being because he's so busy hitting all the bullet points that Vince is shouting at him. In between mentioning the App, Twitter, their dumb nicknames for guys, Lawler saying "Ow!" after everything and JBL trying desperately to get his shitty jokes in, I'm amazed it doesn't just completely fall apart more. Cole on NXT was actually pretty fun since he seemed a lot more natural and relaxed, even if he was shitting on the show and in the middle of his awful heel gimmick. He can't muster up convincing emotion in the same way that JR could in his Attitude Era prime but there must be a middle ground between that and robotically parroting whatever is coming from his ear piece.

I agree that it's becoming unlistenable. JBL especially seems lost now that Cole has shifted from hapless Smackdown announcer to "Voice of the WWE". Their Smackdown chemistry was based on Cole saying stupid things or heavily favouring the babyfaces and JBL jumping on it. He doesn't seem to know what to do with Lawler there and a different Cole to bounce off.

What is Michael Cole's fucking obsession that all pop-culture references be up-to-date. If JBL or Lawler mention anything more than a year old, he throws a fit.

Really though, the commentary is just getting to the point of being un-listenable to me.

I can't say I'm a fan of JBL's commentary, and I'm always perplexed when I see him getting praise on boards. But at the very least, his being there has upped Cole's game several notches. Lawler has been on autopilot for years....and the Cole/Lawler team had reached a point where it was the Peanuts teacher to me. Cole at least seems more engaged and confident with JBL there.

The JBL dated references and Cole calling him on it is a running gag, a bit they're doing. That doesn't mean it's good or funny, but they're doing it on purpose.