Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

It was so wretched last night that I could barely keep from muting it. King is just collecting a paycheck and has been for years, Cole is mediocre at best, JBL has his moments but is more often miserable. Its not even the best announcing talent you have in the company. Regal is running a damn commentary clinic at NXT every time he sits at the booth. And of course, there is so much Vince in the talking points/imposed quirks that you'd now be significantly better off with Vince coming out like he has amnesia and doing mid-90's jacket Vince. At least that would be someones genuine voice.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference in quality between the JBL of 2006-07 and the JBL of today is just staggering.

After that first run people were talking about him as one of the best colour guys of all time, and with good reason. He added a tremendous amount to Smackdown in that period, especially the acts they were pushing at the time like MVP, Londrick, Kennedy, Matt Hardy, Finlay, and when he buried the shit stuff he was hilarious and not annoying.

Nowadays, he's excruciating. Whether it shows that nobody can sound good the way the announcing is set up now, or whether its JBL who doesn't give a shit anymore, or both, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

The difference in quality between the JBL of 2006-07 and the JBL of today is just staggering.

After that first run people were talking about him as one of the best colour guys of all time, and with good reason. He added a tremendous amount to Smackdown in that period, especially the acts they were pushing at the time like MVP, Londrick, Kennedy, Matt Hardy, Finlay, and when he buried the shit stuff he was hilarious and not annoying.

Nowadays, he's excruciating. Whether it shows that nobody can sound good the way the announcing is set up now, or whether its JBL who doesn't give a shit anymore, or both, I don't know.

Sadly I have to agree with this. JBL's stock has fallen this time round for sure, which is sad considering how good he was.

Good question. Probably varies. For example, Chris Hero came up with Kassius Ohno, but it was on a list of names he put together for them and Ohno was one of three they cleared. It was also a much less NXT-ish name than the ones I think you're talking about.

This is partly the effects of having three hour shows and partly the way WWE works, but one linguistic "quirk" that gets me is when they decide on a phrase and then absolutely run it into the ground. Somebody clearly just heard about the Miley Cyrus deal (you know, from three months ago) and it seems like every other match has to have a barrage of "twerking" references.

• 3 months later...

I mentioned this in another thread, but one difference I notice is when WCW announcers would give credit to cameramen like Jackie Crockett, and WWF almost never would acknowledge their technical crew (unless it was part of an angle). The only time I can think of is when Bobby Heenan praised the camera work at the Royal Rumble '92. This still seems to go on.

I mentioned this in another thread, but one difference I notice is when WCW announcers would give credit to cameramen like Jackie Crockett, and WWF almost never would acknowledge their technical crew (unless it was part of an angle). The only time I can think of is when Bobby Heenan praised the camera work at the Royal Rumble '92. This still seems to go on.

Or trainer Chuck Tashe!

Do they ever name the medical stuff on TV? I think I've heard Michael Samson's name but not Chris Amann.

I've seen Kerwin in a few documentaries, specifically the Curt Hennig one where they talk about the outtakes from his spots where he shows his supposed "perfection" at other sports. Funny stuff.

I just think it's odd and almost bordering on cold that the announcers never did it on the level WCW did. Unless it was part of an angle or something truly unpredictable like the heart attack.

Remember that big jacked up security guy with the beard and leather cap? They briefly had a period of time where they'd mention him and he got a write up in one of the WWF mags back in the late 90's.

I miss that guy, anyone know why he left?

Remember that big jacked up security guy with the beard and leather cap? They briefly had a period of time where they'd mention him and he got a write up in one of the WWF mags back in the late 90's.

I miss that guy, anyone know why he left?

He looked like Pittbul #1. At some point I thought he was gonna be involved in some angle.

• 2 weeks later...

From this week's Observer

"In one of those only in WWE deals, and this dates back a little while, but the ring announcers have been told to announce Del Rio’s home town as San Luis, Mexico. There is actually no city of that name. He is from San Luis Potosi and for whatever reason, they aren’t into the idea of a three word city."

• 2 months later...

From this week's Observer

"In one of those only in WWE deals, and this dates back a little while, but the ring announcers have been told to announce Del Rio’s home town as San Luis, Mexico. There is actually no city of that name. He is from San Luis Potosi and for whatever reason, they aren’t into the idea of a three word city."

:lol: I missed this. I'd love to sit in on one of the meetings where they're discussing shit like this. I bet they last twice as long as the booking meetings do.