WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but why do they always remove "Jr" from a second generation wrestler who has that at the end of their name (Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Ted Dibiase, etc)? I cant recall any other wrestling promotion who ever did this.

Supposedly Vince hates the nomenclature Jr. as he himself is one.

I've always heard that he's technically not a Jr. because it's Vincent J. McMahon and Vincent K. McMahon. Apparently, the middle initial makes a difference.

Supposedly Vince hates the nomenclature Jr. as he himself is one.

I've always heard that he's technically not a Jr. because it's Vincent J. McMahon and Vincent K. McMahon. Apparently, the middle initial makes a difference.

This is correct. I'm guessing Vince doesn't like Junior because a lot of the boys that worked for his dad called him that as kind of a demeaning way as a nickname (that's how I take it when Piper does it), like they want to feel superior and talk down to him. Others that just call him Vince, Jr in media to clarify would be a different situation as their is no disrespect intended.

I saw that too. Some of that should be common sense, announcer 101 stuff - everything under the "Don'ts" and "Do's" sections. But there's a ton of weird Vince shit, like

...going forward, we never want to use the term "the title is on the line".

and

Please do not use the term "Sports Entertainment". Going forward please use "Entertainment" in place.

The funniest part about that memo leaking is that if/when Vince finds out about it his takeaway would be to have the announcers take shots at the internet rather than realizing the vast consensus being people find his company's commentators to be painfully overproduced.

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd bring this back from the dead since I was reminded of this thread looking at WWE's YouTube page. I get wanting to have a nickname/descriptive phrase for everyone that you can put on a shirt or some other merch, but it's hilarious to see them being referred to as such instead of their names.

What do i mean? Well instead of calling him Dean Ambrose, every mention has to say The Lunatic Fringe instead. Paige becomes The Diva of Tomorrow, Rusev is the Bulgarian Brute, even Nattie becomes (and I swear this is actually how she was named) The Hart Dungeon Graduate. I can only imagine how the near pathological fear of using names comes off to non-fans.

Same thing in Bryan's book in the chapter intro parts written by a WWE writer. He's constantly referred to as "the WWE's Yes!Man". All the other nicknames are shoehorned in. Wrestlemania is always referred to by one of its nicknames..."The Show of Shows", "The Grandest Stage of Them All" etc.

Same thing in Bryan's book in the chapter intro parts written by a WWE writer. He's constantly referred to as "the WWE's Yes!Man". All the other nicknames are shoehorned in. Wrestlemania is always referred to by one of its nicknames..."The Show of Shows", "The Grandest Stage of Them All" etc.

Nothing was more annoying than WrestleMania 25 being called the 25th anniversary. That still irks me.

• 4 months later...

At the Royal Rumble, during the Owens/Ambrose match, Cole referred to being thrown into the crowd as "being thrown into the WWE Universe" more than once which tells me it's likely a production decree.

I can't recall hearing him doing that regularly, but it was really weird and I am a bit hung up on it now. It makes it sound like a guy was thrown into a space anomaly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...