Pro Wrestling Only

Stupid Babyfaces

Johnny Sorrow

So, what are some of the dumbest babyface moments you can remember? I'm not talking about angles or gimmicks you think were dumb, but stuff that happened "kayfabe".

Cause I just re-watched the bit from Mid South where The Rock N Roll Express were in the ring with Jim Ross to show him the stip they came up with to keep Cornette from interfering in the rematch with the Midnights. It was a straightjacket that Cornette would have to wear and they proceeded to DEMONSTRATE the jacket by having Gibson put it on while Morton cinched it up real tight. Of course, as soon as it was tied the Midnights hit the ring and destroyed the both of them.

So, what other moments of babyface stupidity can you think of? I'd imagine the majority of instances are from the 80's.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick Steiner was swerved by Buff Bagwell three times in 1998. I can see getting fooled once and maybe even twice, but three times? He also had Scott turn on him at the end of a match and then later convince him that he wanted to reunite the team, but this, too, was a swerve. That's five times in one year, three of which were by guys who had already proven themselves not trustworthy. I don't know if this is enough to put him up there with the all-time greats, but that's one heck of a year.

Sting has to be one. Looks at all the times he trusted Flair, Hogan and Luger only to get screwed over.

Come on now, details on specific instances. It's funnier that way.I wasn't clear, it's not "stupidest babyfaces" it's stupid things they've done.

For Sting, it has to be teaming with Flair, who he had feuded with on and off for 7 or so years, not to mention previously being burned when he trusted him back in 1990, to face Pillman and Anderson at Halloween Havoc 95. A 3 year old would have looked at that situation and said to Sting "You're a dumbass if you think you can team with this guy and not have him betray you in the end".

Sting fully expected to be betrayed there. Flair approached him multiple times. Sting finally relented when Flair used little kids. After that Sting warned him that if Flair betrayed him he was going to hurt him badly. Fast forward to November and Sting tries his best to break Flair's back.

People always forget that part.

I just watched the May 16, 1987 U.S. Tag Team Title Final between the Midnight Express and Windham/Garvin.

Windham looked like a total idiot in this match as he was so busy taking out Cornette that he lets Eaton and Lane take out Garvin with a chair. Then he gets so busy going after Lane that he lets Eaton pin Garvin. Then he takes out Lane and is surprised that the match is already over and he can't make the pin. He also wasn't the legal man when he did that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUg-TjOqyXE

Sting trusting Christian to have his back when he went after Jarrett at Hard Justice. It's TNA, nobody stays face or heel for more than a few months as it is. Not to mention that during the match it was obvious that he was trying to get Sting dq'd by doing things like throw him the title, or hitting Jarrett with the chair.

I recently watched the Flair/Scott Steiner match from one of the Clashes. The match starts getting close to the time limit. The announcer is calling "one minute!", "30 seconds!", etc. Steiner is in control, hitting some big moves on Flair. Instead of going for a cover, he keeps playing to the crowd. Pumping his arms in the air, stuff like that. He had his chance at the title, but was too stupid to go for a pin.

Rick Steiner was swerved by Buff Bagwell three times in 1998. I can see getting fooled once and maybe even twice, but three times? He also had Scott turn on him at the end of a match and then later convince him that he wanted to reunite the team, but this, too, was a swerve. That's five times in one year, three of which were by guys who had already proven themselves not trustworthy. I don't know if this is enough to put him up there with the all-time greats, but that's one heck of a year.

Rick Steiner in character was dumb though.

Here's one: Hogan/Beefcake vs Dibiase/IRS at Mania 9. At one point the ref gets bumped, and Jimmy Hart runs in to make a three-count for his guys. Hulk Hogan, who in kayfabe terms is the most brilliant competitor in the fed, immediately jumps up and starts celebrating like he'd just legitimately won the match and the tag titles. Because his manager counted to 3.

And then there's this one, which has haunted and puzzled me for years. On some IYH show or Coliseum video, the Godwinns had a race with some heels. The Godwinns were driving some kind of ancient steam-powered automobile, the sort with gigantic wheels and a top speed of about fifteen miles per hour. I forget exactly who the heels were or what they were riding, be it train or car or whatever, but the point was that it was a modern vehicle and the Godwinns clearly had no chance of winning this race. Well, that's when you expect some shenanigans to happen, right? Some Bugs Bunny kind of shit that lets the babyfaces win (lacking the wit of Bugs Bunny, the WWF could've at least given us some 80s Skiing Movies pranks and tricks). And... nothing happens, the Godwinns lose the race. They seem genuinely befuddled as to how this happened, and are portrayed as being so goddamned retarded that they seriously believed their hundred-year-old jalopy magically went faster than today's cars.

Rick Steiner in character was dumb though.

But there are people in comas who aren't as brain dead as Rick was portrayed in the latter half of 1998. Remember when he demanded that the evil doll Chucky come down to ringside and fight him? Absolutely nothing he did in that time period made any sense, even by WCW standards.

I don't have a ton of specific examples off the top of my head.

But those moments where one babyface gets another babyface disqualified in a big match up, sometimes a title match and afterwards they're all buddy buddy. Shouldn't the guy that just lost the match be pissed off? I remember in 2000 that Killings did this to Road Dogg in a European Title match. Afterwards they started rapping and dancing. Killings had just cost Dogg the European Title right before this.

What about every babyface that was friends with Hulk Hogan after Orndorff and Andre turned on him? I mean, Hogan should have developed a serious reputation as an asshole after everything that went down with those guys, yet dudes like Randy Savage still trusted Hogan afterwards. I mean, of course Hogan lusted over Elizabeth, he had an established track record of selfish behavior and being a poor friend. It's hard to feel bad for Savage, he should have known what he was getting into.

But there are people in comas who aren't as brain dead as Rick was portrayed in the latter half of 1998. Remember when he demanded that the evil doll Chucky come down to ringside and fight him? Absolutely nothing he did in that time period made any sense, even by WCW standards.

Now that's not fair, Rick was in an accident. Scott explained it at the Chi Town Rumble PPV.

Here's one: Hogan/Beefcake vs Dibiase/IRS at Mania 9. At one point the ref gets bumped, and Jimmy Hart runs in to make a three-count for his guys. Hulk Hogan, who in kayfabe terms is the most brilliant competitor in the fed, immediately jumps up and starts celebrating like he'd just legitimately won the match and the tag titles. Because his manager counted to 3.

On the subject of that match, did anyone else think it was TOTAL BULLSHIT when they announced that if Money Inc. lose by countout, they also lose their belts?

Why?

At least mention that stip BEFORE the match. This on the same night Hogan got an impromptu title shot.

First name that came to my mind when I saw the title of the thread was Sting. He's the stupidest baby face ever.

What Tim and Jerome say: Sting was the dumbest motherfucker ever among babyfaces. Just booked to be an idiot. The Nikita one was a good addition to the number of times that Luger turned on him.

John

On the subject of that match, did anyone else think it was TOTAL BULLSHIT when they announced that if Money Inc. lose by countout, they also lose their belts?

Why?

At least mention that stip BEFORE the match. This on the same night Hogan got an impromptu title shot.

Hulk Hogan was above the rules. The preferential treatment drove me nuts as a fan.

But yeah, Sting is amazingly dumb.

Why?

Well, there was the Money Inc Finish: they simply would walk out of matches and keep the belt. Perhaps one of the biggest regular bullshit finishes in wrestling history. So I'm perfectly fine with it *ever* getting announced that if they walked out, they would lose the title. :)

John