Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading about Lesnar here recently I went onto Netflix to see which Lesnar matches I could watch. I finally saw the Lesnar/Taker HIAC. It was soooo much better than the first one with HBK/Taker. I mean...this match had so many interesting touches that I never would have thought a WWE cage match would have. I was also convinced (for some reason) that they would end up on top of the cell and they didn't even try to tease it! I was looking at the walls of the cell for weak spots and I was convinced that the side Heyman was on with the arm-sized holes would be their ticket out of the cage. Thankfully it was not! I haven't seen a WWE PPV in years aside from the matches on assorted DVD releases. This match looked like something from a bygone era of wrestling. The camera work was pretty different and much less nauseating back then as well.

The only spot that didn't make a lot of sense was the nearfall that Lesnar broke up by grabbing the bottom rope. This happened after they had said earlier that it was falls count anywhere and even had a couple of pins on the floor to show for it. I actually thought the first pin on the floor was a brain cramp on their fault and the referee and announcers just went along with it for the reat of the match.

Is there anything on the level of the Taker/Lesnar HIAC from WWE the last six or so years? I get that there won't be blood now but there is no reason that they can't reach the same level of violence with so many good/better workers now.

After reading about Lesnar here recently I went onto Netflix to see which Lesnar matches I could watch. I finally saw the Lesnar/Taker HIAC. It was soooo much better than the first one with HBK/Taker. I mean...this match had so many interesting touches that I never would have thought a WWE cage match would have. I was also convinced (for some reason) that they would end up on top of the cell and they didn't even try to tease it! I was looking at the walls of the cell for weak spots and I was convinced that the side Heyman was on with the arm-sized holes would be their ticket out of the cage. Thankfully it was not! I haven't seen a WWE PPV in years aside from the matches on assorted DVD releases. This match looked like something from a bygone era of wrestling. The camera work was pretty different and much less nauseating back then as well.

The only spot that didn't make a lot of sense was the nearfall that Lesnar broke up by grabbing the bottom rope. This happened after they had said earlier that it was falls count anywhere and even had a couple of pins on the floor to show for it. I actually thought the first pin on the floor was a brain cramp on their fault and the referee and announcers just went along with it for the reat of the match.

Is there anything on the level of the Taker/Lesnar HIAC from WWE the last six or so years? I get that there won't be blood now but there is no reason that they can't reach the same level of violence with so many good/better workers now.

It's a good match but Heyman on the outside constantly screaming "BRAAAAAAWK! BRAAAAAAWK!" completely takes me out of the match and ruins it for me. Much like Flair-Dusty from Starrcade 85 where that one asshole is "wooing" every freakin' 2 seconds. Just makes it impossible to enjoy for me.

It's a good match but Heyman on the outside constantly screaming "BRAAAAAAWK! BRAAAAAAWK!" completely takes me out of the match and ruins it for me. Much like Flair-Dusty from Starrcade 85 where that one asshole is "wooing" every freakin' 2 seconds. Just makes it impossible to enjoy for me.

Glad to see someone else finds the Starrcade match unwatchable because of that asshole.

Speaking of Starrcade. I am watching Windham and Anderson vs Doom from Starrcade 1990, and there is some big black guy at ringside wearing a white shirt. At first I thought it was Teddy Long, but then I saw him on the other side of the ring. Also during the match, Paul E on commentary says "Who is that guy?" but there is never a follow up.

So, who was the guy with Doom?

I re-watched Taker/Lesnar recently and I still enjoy it a lot, but yeah I think a match like Lesnar/Cena kind of blows it out of the water. I doubt I prefer it to the best of Mark Henry in recent years, either. Taker's persistence to use the broken hand to punch was irksome. I watched Taker/Angle from 2003 SmackDown after it and thought that was better, as well (I was shocked at how much I still liked it). I still think the HIAC's really good, but not really remarkable.

I imagine that this will appeal to a few of you chaps. WWE.com has put up a series of photos documenting a recent visit by Howard Finkel to WWE's video vault.

There are photos of thousands of tapes, a digital-archiving robot and little tidbits such as some tapes being so frail that they simply digitize the whole lot if a single match is needed for fear that it will disintegrate and the existence of a second storage site in a nuke-proof cave. I find stuff like this fascinating.

Here's Howard with some of his favorite AWA tapes:

Posted Image

I imagine that this will appeal to a few of you chaps. WWE.com has put up a series of photos documenting a recent visit by Howard Finkel to WWE's video vault.

There are photos of thousands of tapes, a digital-archiving robot and little tidbits such as some tapes being so frail that they simply digitize the whole lot if a single match is needed for fear that it will disintegrate and the existence of a second storage site in a nuke-proof cave. I find stuff like this fascinating.

Posted Image

That is cool and all, but Jesus they need some stronger shelves!

Guest Nell Santucci

Posted Image

Hopefully the Vince/HHH blowoff won't be HHH saying that he's going to start the wrestling business anew, not unlike claims by Vince Russo, and set the entire WWE library on fire. What a horrifying thought !

Glad to see someone else finds the Starrcade match unwatchable because of that asshole.

Speaking of Starrcade. I am watching Windham and Anderson vs Doom from Starrcade 1990, and there is some big black guy at ringside wearing a white shirt. At first I thought it was Teddy Long, but then I saw him on the other side of the ring. Also during the match, Paul E on commentary says "Who is that guy?" but there is never a follow up.

So, who was the guy with Doom?

I always thought it was their "corner guy" like in boxing.

People should definitely check out the article on WWE's tape library. http://www.wwe.com/classics/inside-video-vault-26125073

In addition to WWE’s main facility in Stamford, Conn., a large portion of the company’s tape library is kept at Iron Mountain in New York State’s Catskill Mountains. Sixty-thousand assets, including tapes, film reels and other media are stored in this ultra-protected facility.

“It’s literally a cave you walk into and there’s water dripping,” Staffaroni told us. “To see all of this wrestling footage just sitting there in the middle of a cave and there’s this deafening silence is pretty cool.”

“It’s also fire protected,” Germanakos added. “If there’s a fire in the building, we have a gas that’s released in this room. Foam fills up the room that saves a tape from fire.”

That’s right, your favorite WrestleMania matches could survive the devastation of a nuclear war.

Including some other minor storage facilities, WWE owns a total of more than 125,000 tapes and more than 130,000 hours of footage, including one Phantasio match!