Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

El Dandy posted on his Facebook a photo of himself with Hulk Hogan from WCW and said how "his uncle" was a great friend, and a geniune person who liked to see him wrestle and gave him advice after the matches.

Can't say that I know Dandy but I never found him to be a conman or BS artist. And I remember the stories back in the day of Hogan calling some luchadores backstage by their wrong gimmick name. But dammit if I don't want this story to be true. Hogan and Dandy as superfriends and having a teacher-student relationship.

Is it more difficult to to be the swinger or swingee during a giant swing?

(I'm talking about the wrestling move. So no snide remarks, perverts.)

I would imagine swinger. You have to keep your coordination for the entire swing and not accidentally hit anything with your opponent's body. The swingee has to take a leap of faith that he'd be taken care of by a guy rapidly losing his balance.

People who don't like or watch wrestling shouldn't talk about wrestling.

Who here doesn't like wrestling? I mean... some of us think Demolition wasn't any good or that Monsoon was a shitty play-by-play man, but that doesn't mean we don't like wrestling. We just don't like Demolition.

Is there a quota for watching wrestling? Do you have to do it every day? Five times a day? If someone doesn't watch current wrestling, but knows a lot about PR wrestling in the 80s and 90s, should that person not talk about wrestling?

They don't understand it.

Posted Image

They don't belong on PWO.

Posted Image

Man, Demolition was great, death camps aside. Every damn move made sense. Bill Eadie was a master craftsman.

EDIT: Personally, I'm okay with anyone thinking anything but I do appreciate it when people meet me halfway in understanding WHY I feel like I do about what I do. Not agree, but at least understand. It's what I try to do for them.

DOUBLE Edit, post Parv's reply: Just to make things clear, I think that almost everyone here, to a person, at least tries to do that back with me, at least most of the time (sometimes everyone gets a little heated, sure) and it is appreciated thoroughly.

I like talking about wrestling with you Matt. It's fun. We may have serious disagreements. Often we do. And sometimes we agree. That's great. We watch wrestling all the time and we like to talk about it, right? I think Demolition fucking suck, but I love reading your reasons for why you think they don't. I love reading the back and forths between yourself and Will or Loss or Dylan or OJ or Superstar Sleeze or whoever. It's part of what makes this place great. I wish it was as easy as that with everyone who posts here.

I like talking about wrestling with you Matt. It's fun. We may have serious disagreements. Often we do. And sometimes we agree. That's great. We watch wrestling all the time and we like to talk about it, right? I think Demolition fucking suck, but I love reading your reasons for why you think they don't. I love reading the back and forths between yourself and Will or Loss or Dylan or OJ or Superstar Sleeze or whoever. It's part of what makes this place great. I wish it was as easy as that with everyone who posts here.

One of those people is not like the other. One of those people just does not belong. :) I am honored but I am a ways away from becoming that level of wrestling analyst.

After calling me out a couple times, Matt, about the Colossal Connection matches, they are the best babyface Demolition matches because Eadie respects Andre enough to sell for him like a face in peril. Still no face Demolition matches come close to how good heel Demolition could be against the Rockers, Bulldogs and Hart Foundation.

Do you agree that heel Demolition >>> babyface Demolition? To me it is not even close, but I would like to hear your thoughts on that. Probably best if you put it in the Demolition thread.

One of those people is not like the other. One of those people just does not belong. :) I am honored but I am a ways away from becoming that level of wrestling analyst.

After calling me out a couple times, Matt, about the Colossal Connection matches, they are the best babyface Demolition matches because Eadie respects Andre enough to sell for him like a face in peril. Still no face Demolition matches come close to how good heel Demolition could be against the Rockers, Bulldogs and Hart Foundation.

Do you agree that heel Demolition >>> babyface Demolition? To me it is not even close, but I would like to hear your thoughts on that. Probably best if you put it in the Demolition thread.

I'll shoot a reply up to this in the Demo thread as soon as I can. Holiday stuff is vaguely disruptive at this point.

I don't understand why people care about 1980's WWF tag team wrestling in general. 99% of it is unwatchable.

99% might be high... but not far off. :)

John

Context, context, context...I'd watch Greg Valentine & Dino Bravo vs. The Killer Bees with great glee when it came after Kamala vs. George Wells, Outback Jack vs. Steve Lombardi, and Salvatore Bellomo vs. Big John Studd.

Now watching that tag match all on it's own 25 years later might be another story...but in the context of a card like that, it was welcomed. B)

To you it's unwatchable. To me it's decent entertaining stuff that tells a good story I enjoy. JCP is better in tag wrestling until you get to the finish, which is usually garbage. I've said it so many times, but to me, endings are very very important. Dusty's endings are awful and WCW in general continued his trend for years.

Memphis endings are usually pretty amazing, especially when you consider being a weekly promotion meant they had to be less than conclusive usually to draw people in for the next week. Mid South wrestling had great finishes. So my perspective isn't just pro WWF or pro northeast. It's just anti Crockett (though the finishes prior to Dusty seem fine for the most part, but they are frequently poor after Dusty as well so I can't just blame him).

Nostalgia is a big factor, but also learning a lot more than I knew as a kid watching is important Someone like Buddy Rose I love, and I only knew him as the blowaway guy and a jobber as a kid, so it's not just childhood nostalgia. I thought NOTHING of Lawler as a teen but having watched Memphis I get the love (don't agree with NA GOAT, but top 5 since 1970 yes)

That photo of Bret with the AOL floppy disk coupled with some research I was doing today (WWE were still producing VHS tapes as late as 2005 / some Canadian stores don't offer any Blu-rays) made me wonder a mostly non-wrestling thing.

I know a lot of people can be stubborn to upgrade (cassette to CD, CD to digital, VHS to DVD, etc.) Hell, until this year I was running a dying PC on Windows XP and I don't own a smartphone, but I wonder what the most archaic form of the internet that someone still uses is? Is AOL even still accessible? There must be people out there still using landlines to get online right? Old people, folks in backwater towns where the technology hasn't caught up? I went to a little Spanish town in 2003 and DVD players were still a new, luxurious item there, all the shops sold were VHS tapes and VCDs.

That photo of Bret with the AOL floppy disk coupled with some research I was doing today (WWE were still producing VHS tapes as late as 2005 / some Canadian stores don't offer any Blu-rays) made me wonder a mostly non-wrestling thing.

I know a lot of people can be stubborn to upgrade (cassette to CD, CD to digital, VHS to DVD, etc.) Hell, until this year I was running a dying PC on Windows XP and I don't own a smartphone, but I wonder what the most archaic form of the internet that someone still uses is? Is AOL even still accessible? There must be people out there still using landlines to get online right? Old people, folks in backwater towns where the technology hasn't caught up? I went to a little Spanish town in 2003 and DVD players were still a new, luxurious item there, all the shops sold were VHS tapes and VCDs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-sw...-still-use-aol/

According to this article, about 2 1/2 million are still subscribed to AOL in some form.

Great question, I too am interested by things like this. I still frequent old RSPW posts from time to time. I used to post to the group via my 56K modem with pride.

Latest US survey is that 76 percent of American adults have Internet access at home, 9 percent use the Internet but only outside of their home, and 15 percent don't use the Internet at all.

A separate survey from the same company found that three percent of Americans use dial-up at home and 70 percent have broadband. The "missing" three percent may just be statistical variation, but could also be people who have smartphones but no computer.

http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/No...rnet-users.aspx

http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Broadband.aspx