Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i remember hearing that graham was strictly a road agent in 1990 if not before. the company making cuts was why he wrestled again in '91, which gave us one of the all-time classic "only in WCW" matches: DDP/mike graham vs. jushin liger/bill kazmaier at starrcade

Those insanely fast Liger kicks in that match that popped the crowd are a vivid childhood memory for me, but I never saw him repeat that spot. My stepdad kept rewinding those kicks to watch them over and over and over.

Something that crossed my mind as I'm watching and reviewing Wrestlemania XV: Would it be fair to say that that show was the peak of Road Dogg's popularity? The four way IC Title match is horrendous, but when Dogg wins, the pop is amazing.

I think the more interesting question is this: Would have Billy Gunn gotten that pop? More or less of one?

Something that crossed my mind as I'm watching and reviewing Wrestlemania XV: Would it be fair to say that that show was the peak of Road Dogg's popularity? The four way IC Title match is horrendous, but when Dogg wins, the pop is amazing.

I think the more interesting question is this: Would have Billy Gunn gotten that pop?

Nope. The NOA were an entrance. Their match often got crickets. And the entrance was Road Dogg spitting on the mic. There's a reason why every single Billy Gunn push has failed miserably. Road Dog was more charismatic, was a better worker and was a better talker. Billy Gunn had "Mr. Ass" written on his tights, was the "best pure athlete in WWF", had an awkward finish and said "suck it" a lot.

I think the more interesting question is this: Would have Billy Gunn gotten that pop? More or less of one?

Had they not pulled the double title switch, and Billy won the IC Title that night, then I think he MIGHT have gotten as good a reaction as Road Dogg did for retaining. Only because that actually would have paid off the storyline of Billy chasing it.

What was the reason for that double switch? Not that it would have made XV much better, but at least Road Dogg was being positioned in the hardcore scene (I think) and as Cool Campbell said, Gunn was actually part of the IC storyline (again, not that it was much of one). Always struck me as odd. Besides it being a Russo switch for the sake of a Russo switch, couldn't figure it out.

Regarding the double switch for the New Age Outlaws on the singles scene in early '99, Russo has stated in a few separate shoot interviews that he just did it for the sake of swerving people. Fans wouldn't expect it, and so he did it.

I tend to get the impression that Vinnie Mac let Russo get away with a lot of that switching & shuffling nonsense on the mid & undercard, so long as the main event and upper echelon remained protected for the most part and booked logically enough.

I remember somebody (Cornette, I think) openly stating EXACTLY WHEN Jim Ross was removed from structuring the PPV cards and it fell to Russo & Ferrarra for awhile instead. But there was a clear & definite divide in the way the shows were treated, booked, and built from that point until No Mercy '99 when they jumped ship to WCW.

I think the more interesting question is this: Would have Billy Gunn gotten that pop?

Nope. The NOA were an entrance. Their match often got crickets. And the entrance was Road Dogg spitting on the mic. There's a reason why every single Billy Gunn push has failed miserably. Road Dog was more charismatic, was a better worker and was a better talker. Billy Gunn had "Mr. Ass" written on his tights, was the "best pure athlete in WWF", had an awkward finish and said "suck it" a lot.

This isn't always true in mid-1998. Been watching a ton of 1998 DX and the entire squad was getting huge heat before, during and after their matches.

The Outlaws first got over huge, as heels, because they were something new and different. These two low mid card guys who had been saddled with the WORST gimmicks get put together as a team, and go with a total anti-authority gimmick that was new at the time. AND, they have them beat the fucking Road Warriors for the belts. People loved booing them, but a lot of people dug them because they were fresh and new, and fit the era so well. I was a fan because I'm a heel fan, and I LOVED seeing two guys who'd been fucked with dopey gimmicks become a team that goes to the top with the attitude of two guys rebelling against the establishment, with smart ass, loud mouth personas.

This isn't always true in mid-1998. Been watching a ton of 1998 DX and the entire squad was getting huge heat before, during and after their matches.

By mid 98's, yeah I agree, because the Outlaws were still fresh. Until SummerSlam 98, all was fine and dandy, mostly. But by late 98 when the Russoiffic product kicked in, the audience only cared about the entrances and cachphrases.

I thought Road Dogg did decent enough in his matches. Never noticed the crowd sleeping on his spots. X-Pac either, but Kid knew psychology and could keep a crowd involved, alive, and active more often than not.

Billy Gunn's another case altogether, in my eyes. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this, but I just get the impression that he's the kind of guy that can do athletic things, take big bumps, and generally put all the mechanics together really well. He can show workers HOW to do things. But he's not necessarily the guy that can explain WHY or WHEN to do them. I have no idea what he's specifically coaching down in NXT, but if I had to venture a guess - it'd be more along those lines. And that's not really a knock on the guy. I've heard Bobby Eaton, for instance, as being described in the same light. Not everybody is a mind. Some guys are just phenomenal workers, will coach ya to work, but can't tell ya the Whys and Whens of it all. Just the Hows.

But yeah. Just the feeling I get from Gunn's body of work. There's a disconnect at times with a lot of his storytelling and reasoning. And that's the type of thing that'll turn a crowd from hot to cold following such a big entrance, popular catchphrase, or anything else.

Oh. And there's something to be said for his AWKWARD way of carrying himself. Definitely don't think he won many of the male demographic over with PLENTY of the junk he did - both verbally and physically. He looked out of place in his own skin at times, and the ridiculously stupid nicknames didn't help one iota either.

Botchamania vs RF Video seems to be the story of the day:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=789545167723205&set=a.139116242766104.24987.115215825156146&type=1

RF Video sent Maffew/Botchamania a cease and desist on using RF stuff in his videos.

Link isn't working for me. Anything of note come of this?

A 4,000 word tome that he eventually deleted but has been preserved here: http://pastebin.com/hcA3dkgt

I didn't want to derail the WWE finances thread with this. Downsides and royalties for lower end guys were discussed. What exactly do main roster wrestlers who don't work house shows or TV weekly do? Are they at every event regardless? Is JTG waiting by the phone for the next time he'll be used or is he actively travelling with them? Do any of these guys have normal jobs to supplement their income or stay busy?

I didn't want to derail the WWE finances thread with this. Downsides and royalties for lower end guys were discussed. What exactly do main roster wrestlers who don't work house shows or TV weekly do? Are they at every event regardless? Is JTG waiting by the phone for the next time he'll be used or is he actively travelling with them? Do any of these guys have normal jobs to supplement their income or stay busy?

Not sure what JTG does - all I know is he has a young child and the anniversary of his 7th year under contract comes next week.

Yoshi Tatsu trains at NXT and does night classes to improve his English.

Curt Hawkins is seemingly allowed to have his own Wrestling school - Create A Pro which he runs with ex-WWE developmental stalwart Pat Buck.

Don't think either three are flown in to be part of the "catering crew" like a Zack Ryder often is.