Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of the relevant national promotions would book Tully after the drug failure though, that's more or less being blackballed. Obviously it's not the same thing as when the NWA cartel kept you off other cards, but that situation combined with his preaching pretty much consigned him to showing up on Tri-State cards or in the dying AWA. His ECW shots were after WCW had tried to bring him back in '93. Him being at Clash X is something I've never heard, and that may be crossed wires with him being at Slamboree '93 and balking on the financial offer, hence Roma as the 4th Horseman.

Neither of the relevant national promotions would book Tully after the drug failure though, that's more or less being blackballed. Obviously it's not the same thing as when the NWA cartel kept you off other cards, but that situation combined with his preaching pretty much consigned him to showing up on Tri-State cards or in the dying AWA. His ECW shots were after WCW had tried to bring him back in '93. Him being at Clash X is something I've never heard, and that may be crossed wires with him being at Slamboree '93 and balking on the financial offer, hence Roma as the 4th Horseman.

Just to clarify the Clash X point, here is what Meltzer wrote in a 1990 retrospective piece from about ten years ago:

The original plan, which few were aware of, is that Sting would be kicked out and replaced on the show by Tully Blanchard. Blanchard's career had been dead since Jim Herd refused to sign him after he had failed a test for cocaine right after giving notice to WWF...The original Horsemen never came together. Flair, who was booker and intermediary, got Blanchard to agree to come in. Jim Herd, who ran WCW, offered him $156,000 per year for a maximum 176 dates. When Blanchard, who was backstage in Corpus Christi ready to make his surprising return, saw the contract, the number of dates on it read 300 maximum. He refused to sign, tempers flared, and just like that, all negotiations were over.

I've never watched it, didn't Tully do a time-limit draw with Shane Douglas and it was critically panned?

Wasn't that just because the blood and guts ECW crowd shit all over it? That's what I remember, but I haven't seen the match either, and it's been 20 years, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, ECW fans eventually showed appreciation for stuff like Malenko/Guerrero, but I believe this match pre-dated that series. On that note, a couple of ROH fans I know were pretty adamant about how boring the Bryan Danielson 60-minute (or 90-minute or whatever it was) match was a colossal bore. I didn't see that match either.

The story I heard about Blanchard vs. Douglas was that Blanchard blew up about 20 minutes into the planned draw and Douglas had to sit in restholds the rest of the way (and they eventually threw in the towel and rang the bell at around 45 minutes). I don't get the logic in booking Tully to go Broadway to begin with--when did he ever do that even in his prime?

The story I heard about Blanchard vs. Douglas was that Blanchard blew up about 20 minutes into the planned draw and Douglas had to sit in restholds the rest of the way (and they eventually threw in the towel and rang the bell at around 45 minutes). I don't get the logic in booking Tully to go Broadway to begin with--when did he ever do that even in his prime?

Heyman honestly thought it would be a great match and wanted a Crockett-style episode of TV centered around the match like Flair-Windham, Russians-R&R, Windham-Murdoch, I think Garvin-Tully, etc.

I remember Bruce Mitchell saying the Steamboat-Tully series prior to Starrcade 84 had escalating time limit draws. Up to 45 minutes, I think.

Then Dusty came in and beat Tully for the tv title in 10 minutes or so. Ah, Dusty....

I made a note in the 1990 forums for posterity, but in case it's missed/skipped there: Ray Odyssey revealed in a KFM post about a month ago that the infamous Dawna of ICW Teen Report fame was Tony Rumble's stepdaughter.

I found Tony Rumble's obit on a library database, and there is a Dawna listed as one of his daughters. Maybe I'll look into this.

So with all the fuss about the Network and the lack of them making any attempt to survey people on what they want to see, I found it quite funny to get a survey from WWE asking how interested I was in the Stephanie McMahon workout DVD. When I responded "not interested at all" it seemingly no sold my response and went on with the survey as if I indicated I did have interest in it.

Just heard Breathe by The Prodigy tonight. I can't hear that song and not immediately think back to the mid-90s and watching Wrestling Power on public access and seeing my first glimpse of wrestling outside the WWF/WCW bubble. God was there ever a song people loved more for wrestling music videos than The Prodigy's Breathe?

This one time I got really ill in school, and for some reason wasn't sleeping or eating much. I went down to about 7 stone, which is about 100lbs. I had also had this cold for ages and it wasn't shaking. I went to see the doctor and he put me on amoxicillin. One day, in a chemistry class, I fainted.

I got sent home. That night, for whatever reason, my dad recommended I take a tot of whiskey to sort things out. Maybe he didn't know I was taking the amoxicillin.

Anyway, I had the whiskey. Next day, I was seeing things. Big massive centipedes and things crawling up the walls. It was just like the Breathe video.

I could "see the germs" hanging from food I was given. Ended up having to stay in hospital the night.

There's another story attached to this, but I'll save that for another time. But Prodigy's Breathe will forever be associated with that experience for me. It's uncanny how much the stuff I was seeing was like the stuff in the video. Never been so scared ever.

There aren't really any side effects to drinking alcohol whilst taking amoxicillin. Even with antibiotics that react negatively to alcohol, it would take more than a tot of whiskey, and boozing in larger quanties would generally just nullify the positive affects of the antibiotics rather than cause hallucinations.

Don't blame the whiskey. Never blame the whiskey.

Also, been watching some 88-89 WWF and good lord do I still hate Brother Love. I thought maybe the gimmick was one of those things I'd appreciate more with the benefit of age and hindsight, but nope. Still terrible. Can't stand the voice, the red face or the dopey music playing in the background while they're trying to get major angles over. Probably my least favorite "talk" segment the WWF did and yet it was their central one of this era.

I stumbled upon the first show in these WCW sets I've been watching with a really good Hifi VHS audio track intact, and it really hit me that poor-quality or glitchy audio messes with my attention for a match way worse than bad video. I can watch anything that isn't disintegrated, but bad muffled crowd or tape hum are like rain while I'm driving.

My girlfriend, for a Christmas present, is going to commission an artist to draw an original art piece of my favorite wrestlers, that I can frame & hang on the wall.

My trouble is coming up with the four wrestlers I want on it!

I know I want Terry Funk, Stan Hansen & probably Dr. Death. Can't decide on the fourth. Maybe André.

Still, that's a super sweet idea & gift.

just wondering about the riot at sumo hall after vader's debut. conventional wisdom is that the riot was a result of vader squashing inoki but reading ditchs page linked below it appears to be saying the riot actually broke out just after the choshu match. during the vader match there doesnt really seem to be anything going on. all the fans we see on camera and everyone around the ring seem to be focused on the match and there doesnt look to be anything occurring. was the riot already underway outside the arena at this point and what did cause it?

http://theditch.us/riot.html

just wondering about the riot at sumo hall after vader's debut. conventional wisdom is that the riot was a result of vader squashing inoki but reading ditchs page linked below it appears to be saying the riot actually broke out just after the choshu match. during the vader match there doesnt really seem to be anything going on. all the fans we see on camera and everyone around the ring seem to be focused on the match and there doesnt look to be anything occurring. was the riot already underway outside the arena at this point and what did cause it?

http://theditch.us/riot.html

According to the WON at the time, the rioting started because fans could tell they were getting an angle to change the main event from what was announced. So they could figure out where it was going and they didn't like it.

This thread has more details:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/6183-20-years-ago-won-010488/