Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the best TNA can get is Destination America, then I doubt Jeff Jarrett will have much luck finding a TV deal.

Would cable execs really even differentiate between the two though? To them, they're both just a non-WWF rasslin show. I don't think TNA's reputation would grant them much over a Jarrett start-up. Let's say they both walk in to pitch. Dixie: "We've been losing millions despite being on national TV for years". Jarrett: "I used to be a big star in the WWF and this is my friend Toby Keith".

It's all rasslin' to TV execs. Not even WWE could get an offer from anyone when their deal was up. There's pretty much zero interest anywhere, ROH happened to get lucky to be bought by a TV company looking for low priced content for their stations.

Rewatching some WWE PPVs from early 2010. Cole, Lawler and Striker are brutal together. Noticed Lawler getting testy with Striker at times during Extreme Rules, then watched Punk v Rey at Over the Limit and... oh dear. Awkward!

What's the story? Lawler just getting more and more annoyed having to listen to Striker's pontificating and then having unprofessional on-screen hissy fits? Actually felt embarrassed for Cole trying to hold things together.

It's as bad as any Heenan-Schiavone bust ups on Nitro.

The story for me is more about him coming home to establish a chapter here. This is a pretty weird town so it'll be interesting to see if it's accepted, rejected, or if City Council decides to commission a million-dollar study to determine whether or not it's warranted here. :rolleyes:

If the best TNA can get is Destination America, then I doubt Jeff Jarrett will have much luck finding a TV deal.

Would cable execs really even differentiate between the two though? To them, they're both just a non-WWF rasslin show. I don't think TNA's reputation would grant them much over a Jarrett start-up. Let's say they both walk in to pitch. Dixie: "We've been losing millions despite being on national TV for years". Jarrett: "I used to be a big star in the WWF and this is my friend Toby Keith".

I disagree. TNA can point to nine years of drawing a 1.0 rating for Spike TV and having much bigger ex-WWE stars than Jeff Jarrett under contract. That track record counts for something.

I disagree. TNA can point to nine years of drawing a 1.0 rating for Spike TV and having much bigger ex-WWE stars than Jeff Jarrett under contract. That track record counts for something.

That will certainly count for something. On the other hand, so will Spike walking away from that track record and the shenanigans that brought things to that point. Its up to each team of execs to determine how to weigh those factors.

It counts for absolutely nothing because Spike couldn't sell an ad on the show. That's not something you want as part of your pitch.

The Alberto el Patrón/Mesías vs. Perro Aguayo Jr./El Texano Jr. match from last month that aired on the latest Sin Límite was really very good, I thought. It's nice to see Alberto doing his thing in front of an audience that actually gives a shit - unsurprisingly, he seems a lot more motivated now.

I just found out that in the 60s there was a midget wrestler called Chico Santana.

I'm now wondering if Jesse was obliquely referring to that midget wrestler all those years he called Tito "Chico".

This is a Titans Extra scoop. This is better than your multiple Vince time travelling theory.

I think that Vince in 1985 or 1986 went back and dubbed over the orginal 1980 commentary to Bruno Sammartino vs. Larry Z -- when they released the "Best of WWF Vol. 1" (or whatever it was) VHS tape.

This is because Vince calls that like "shouty mid-80s Vince", not like the calm sportscaster 70s Vince who was still calling matches like that in 1980.

If you analyse the cadence of his voice, it's clearly the slightly older Vince. Also there are zero contemporary references during the match or callbacks to other parts of the feud. It just seems like a re-dub. Who knows why Vince felt it necessary to do this.

I think that Vince in 1985 or 1986 went back and dubbed over the orginal 1980 commentary to Bruno Sammartino vs. Larry Z -- when they released the "Best of WWF Vol. 1" (or whatever it was) VHS tape.

This is because Vince calls that like "shouty mid-80s Vince", not like the calm sportscaster 70s Vince who was still calling matches like that in 1980.

If you analyse the cadence of his voice, it's clearly the slightly older Vince. Also there are zero contemporary references during the match or callbacks to other parts of the feud. It just seems like a re-dub. Who knows why Vince felt it necessary to do this.

There was no commentary done live for the Shea Stadium show and Coliseum tapes almost always overdubbed Philly commentary. So that covers a lot of the feud. If he overdubbed a MSG match, then, well, I dunno why.