Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Michaels turned it into a cartoon match.

I think that point's a bit overstated. Michaels' wacky bumping in that match isn't really all that different from what he used to do whenever he was a heel and wrestling some guy a lot bigger than himself. And I'd argue that it improved the match; what the hell else are you gonna do against Hogan in 2005 to make it watchable? Compare the wretched Hulk/Orton match from next year for a good picture of how it might've gone otherwise.

and then doing an interview the next day on Raw where he all but said he lost because he was told and it was all fake, being completely unprofessional.

Wait, what? I don't remember that part at all.

He told him he would only lose to certain people at a certain level, and by beating him, he considers Mysterio now in that elite level, and that at that level you should protect who you lose to, and it should only be to people of that level.

So does that mean he counts Kennedy Anderson at that level, too? Because Shawn did a clean job to that guy on Raw once during their feud. That one really stuck out as being a shock, because it's true that Shawn rarely loses to anyone but top guys.

and then doing an interview the next day on Raw where he all but said he lost because he was told and it was all fake, being completely unprofessional.

I haven't seen it in years, but it was widely discussed at the time as being a dick move by Shawn. I found a transcript of it online, and Shawn said this in the most obnoxious sarcastic "pro wrestling is fake and Hogan sucks" way possible:

"As much as it hurts me to have to admit this, last night Hulk Hogan was the better man... He was

catlike, he was nimble, he had a catch-as-catch can style that even Shawn Michaels

couldn't figure out. I mean, his ring prowess was in so many ways and on so

many levels superior to mine that I simply could not compete. When it was

over, even I, the evil Shawn Michaels found myself victim like so many

before me to the vicious legdrop - 1, 2, 3."

The crowd didn't really know how to react when this happened.

That's a far cry from actually coming out and saying "it's all fake!". Shawn said much worse, more kayfabe-breaking stuff than that back in the early days of DX, which everyone still seems to love. It's mildly dickish, but nobody besides the hardcore fans would know what the hell he's talking about.

I think that point's a bit overstated. Michaels' wacky bumping in that match isn't really all that different from what he used to do whenever he was a heel and wrestling some guy a lot bigger than himself. And I'd argue that it improved the match; what the hell else are you gonna do against Hogan in 2005 to make it watchable? Compare the wretched Hulk/Orton match from next year for a good picture of how it might've gone otherwise. .

If you search on youtube there's a clip of Scott Hall doing comentary over the match and he flat out says HBK was purposely trying to make Hogan look bad with his selling and went into detail on how/why. It's pretty fascinating stuff

So does that mean he counts Kennedy Anderson at that level, too? Because Shawn did a clean job to that guy on Raw once during their feud. That one really stuck out as being a shock, because it's true that Shawn rarely loses to anyone but top guys.

Not a top guy but before he got put in the dog house he was one of Vince's favorites and being groomed as a future top guy for sure.

I haven't seen it in years, but it was widely discussed at the time as being a dick move by Shawn. I found a transcript of it online, and Shawn said this in the most obnoxious sarcastic "pro wrestling is fake and Hogan sucks" way possible:

"As much as it hurts me to have to admit this, last night Hulk Hogan was the better man... He was

catlike, he was nimble, he had a catch-as-catch can style that even Shawn Michaels

couldn't figure out. I mean, his ring prowess was in so many ways and on so

many levels superior to mine that I simply could not compete. When it was

over, even I, the evil Shawn Michaels found myself victim like so many

before me to the vicious legdrop - 1, 2, 3."

The crowd didn't really know how to react when this happened.

Didn't he say somewhere in that promo that Hulk wasn't coming back until he needs another payday? I remember seeing a promo where Shawn seemed to try really hard to bury Hogan.

The worst thing about that is Shawn making a big production of a doing a job on a tribute show to Eddy Guerrero, the day after he was found dead in his hotel room. I know your friend just died, but I want you to know how big of a deal it is for me to do this job for you? I wouldn't do it for just anyone? Really? And Shawn getting his win back in the team match at Survivor Series when someone else could have pinned Rey if Team Raw was going to win was a clear case of him getting the "favor" returned. Stay classy, Shawn.

I think that point's a bit overstated. Michaels' wacky bumping in that match isn't really all that different from what he used to do whenever he was a heel and wrestling some guy a lot bigger than himself. And I'd argue that it improved the match; what the hell else are you gonna do against Hogan in 2005 to make it watchable? Compare the wretched Hulk/Orton match from next year for a good picture of how it might've gone otherwise. .

If you search on youtube there's a clip of Scott Hall doing comentary over the match and he flat out says HBK was purposely trying to make Hogan look bad with his selling and went into detail on how/why. It's pretty fascinating stuff

I can't access YouTube at work (although I can search for it), I'm assuming this is the vid/clip you're talking about?

The worst thing about that is Shawn making a big production of a doing a job on a tribute show to Eddy Guerrero, the day after he was found dead in his hotel room. I know your friend just died, but I want you to know how big of a deal it is for me to do this job for you? I wouldn't do it for just anyone? Really? And Shawn getting his win back in the team match at Survivor Series when someone else could have pinned Rey if Team Raw was going to win was a clear case of him getting the "favor" returned. Stay classy, Shawn.

And Shawn only did a job in the Survivor Series after he was down 3 on 1 against the other team and got to beat Rey and JBL in succession. And that wasn't even the first time he pulled that stunt - he did the same exact thing in Survivor Series 2003, only doing a job in a Survivor Series tag after he's left alone 3 on 1 and got to beat two members of the other team by himself. Anybody who says Shawn was a changed man after finding God wasn't paying attention.

I can't access YouTube at work (although I can search for it), I'm assuming this is the vid/clip you're talking about?

Yeah that's it. Hall did a bunch of others too that are pretty entertaining. On the recent MLW podcast with Konnan, Court & Mr Saint Lerant they told the story about how Hall was doing it to practice because he wanted to get into commentating.

What makes the Scott Hall story even sadder to a degree is in those brief moments of sobriety you see he is actually a pretty smart guy and seems to have a good business mind. Sort of like a next generation version of Jake Roberts.

I always felt the best part of Hogan/Michaels was Hogan, having hit the big boot, and seeing Shawn's stooge, does the rounds with the ear-cupping and makes him lay there waiting for the legdrop, to a point almost where you're sure Shawn has to move, but, of course, doesn't.

An interesting item in the latest Observer:

Konnan and Court Bauer did an interview on Bauer’s MLW web site regarding Michaels and his hatred of losing. Bauer talked about all the issues with Hogan and Michaels because both were fighting over who would win the match and Hogan had creative control in his contract so Vince, who almost always backed up Michaels, had no choice but to back Hogan. So Michaels turned it into a cartoon match. While the story may be told differently now, at the time, Hogan wasn’t going to lose to Michaels, even if there was a return, which led to Michaels turning the match into a cartoon and then doing an interview the next day on Raw where he all but said he lost because he was told and it was all fake, being completely unprofessional. However, Vince never punished him for it, while anyone else doing the same thing would have been fired on the spot. That also led to the end of that Hogan tenure in the company, both over the interview and Hogan being mad about his pay for the match. Konnan said, “Shawn told this to Rey Mysterio once and I couldn’t believe it and I told Rey Mysterio, `Please don’t follow that advice.’ He said Shawn once told him, `Do you like doing jobs?’ Mysterio responded, `I don’t mind.’ Michaels then said, `I don’t. I don’t like doing jobs and you shouldn’t either.’ I was thinking to myself, that’s the worst advice you can give to a young guy. You never know when a wrestler is going to go to Vince when nobody is listening and say I’d rather not do this. I don’t want to put these guys over.” The Michaels vs. Mysterio story, the way I remember it, was that it took place in 2005 when Michaels agreed to put Mysterio over clean on a tribute show for Eddy Guerrero, since Mysterio was one of Eddy’s best friends and the night was about giving Eddy’s friends wins to make both them and the fans feel good (JBL put over Chavo Guerrero clean on that show). Michaels had no problem losing, but told Mysterio, that everyone in wrestling tells you it doesn’t matter if you win or lose, but that’s the biggest lie in all of wrestling. He told him he would only lose to certain people at a certain level, and by beating him, he considers Mysterio now in that elite level, and that at that level you should protect who you lose to, and it should only be to people of that level.

Who would Jesus job to?

Nailz

An interesting item in the latest Observer:

Konnan and Court Bauer did an interview on Bauer’s MLW web site regarding Michaels and his hatred of losing. Bauer talked about all the issues with Hogan and Michaels because both were fighting over who would win the match and Hogan had creative control in his contract so Vince, who almost always backed up Michaels, had no choice but to back Hogan. So Michaels turned it into a cartoon match. While the story may be told differently now, at the time, Hogan wasn’t going to lose to Michaels, even if there was a return, which led to Michaels turning the match into a cartoon and then doing an interview the next day on Raw where he all but said he lost because he was told and it was all fake, being completely unprofessional. However, Vince never punished him for it, while anyone else doing the same thing would have been fired on the spot. That also led to the end of that Hogan tenure in the company, both over the interview and Hogan being mad about his pay for the match. Konnan said, “Shawn told this to Rey Mysterio once and I couldn’t believe it and I told Rey Mysterio, `Please don’t follow that advice.’ He said Shawn once told him, `Do you like doing jobs?’ Mysterio responded, `I don’t mind.’ Michaels then said, `I don’t. I don’t like doing jobs and you shouldn’t either.’ I was thinking to myself, that’s the worst advice you can give to a young guy. You never know when a wrestler is going to go to Vince when nobody is listening and say I’d rather not do this. I don’t want to put these guys over.” The Michaels vs. Mysterio story, the way I remember it, was that it took place in 2005 when Michaels agreed to put Mysterio over clean on a tribute show for Eddy Guerrero, since Mysterio was one of Eddy’s best friends and the night was about giving Eddy’s friends wins to make both them and the fans feel good (JBL put over Chavo Guerrero clean on that show). Michaels had no problem losing, but told Mysterio, that everyone in wrestling tells you it doesn’t matter if you win or lose, but that’s the biggest lie in all of wrestling. He told him he would only lose to certain people at a certain level, and by beating him, he considers Mysterio now in that elite level, and that at that level you should protect who you lose to, and it should only be to people of that level.

Who would Jesus job to?

Nailz

Oh man I laughed so hard at this. I'm going to hell...

I was hoping for a John Cena answer but damn Will, that was killer.

Last night, I watched the Heavenly Bodies vs Stud Stable vs RNR/Arn match from SMW. Throughout the match, the fans in Pikeville, Kentucky were throwing trash and it kinda distracted the wrestlers it seemed. What are some other examples for matches being ruined cause of fans throwing trash? I remember it used to happen weekly on Nitro during the NWO era.

Not to go too far off topic, but I wouldn't say the match was ruined so much by the trash so much as Robert Gibson taking that stupid bump off the basketball hoop and hurting his ankle. I still think that street fight is pretty great, but Robert Gibson barely being able to walk for the finishing segment definitely hurt things.

I was hoping for a John Cena answer but damn Will, that was killer.

Last night, I watched the Heavenly Bodies vs Stud Stable vs RNR/Arn match from SMW. Throughout the match, the fans in Pikeville, Kentucky were throwing trash and it kinda distracted the wrestlers it seemed. What are some other examples for matches being ruined cause of fans throwing trash? I remember it used to happen weekly on Nitro during the NWO era.

Going back to the Duluth AWA Card I saw and posted about in the House Show thread, I remember before the Larry Hennig-Michael hayes match started, someone threw something at Hayes that missed and hit hennig square in the eye, causing it to swell up instantly. hayes had to run over right away and attack the eye to cover it. I don't remember if it ruined the match or not but it likely sent it down a different path since Larry's swollen eye was Haye's focus from then on out.

I always felt the best part of Hogan/Michaels was Hogan, having hit the big boot, and seeing Shawn's stooge, does the rounds with the ear-cupping and makes him lay there waiting for the legdrop, to a point almost where you're sure Shawn has to move, but, of course, doesn't.

Yeah, that was great. Hulk's way to flip the bird at Shawn and make him look worse than all of the shit Shawn was trying to pull on Hulk.

John

I have decided that I want a Tumblr feed of Shawn interrupting people throughout history at completely inappropriate times to make a point about doing jobs. Someone with mad Photoshop skills and a warped sense of humor, make this happen!