Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

C.M. Punk's gimmick moniker of "Best in the World" got me to thinking...who is the best in the world right now? It's definitely not Punk, not to me anyway.

The best wrestler in the world right now is a guy that just quit active wrestling again to be a road agent for the WWE.

The second best is a fifty-something Lucha legend who has made tape a lot less than I had hoped this year.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Finlay, I like Bryan, obviously Rey's great, I like a lot of guys, but I don't think there's honestly anyone out there right now (and there really needs to be a handful or more) at a level where being called "best in the world" actually means anything.

C.M. Punk's gimmick moniker of "Best in the World" got me to thinking...who is the best in the world right now? It's definitely not Punk, not to me anyway.

The best wrestler in the world right now is a guy that just quit active wrestling again to be a road agent for the WWE.

The second best is a fifty-something Lucha legend who has made tape a lot less than I had hoped this year.

IMO, from what I watch, it's definitely Rey, but I'm woefully out of touch with current lucha, puro and a lot of the indies. And he's my favorite wrestler, so I'm a little bit biased ;)

It's definitely not Punk, and it's not Bryan either. I've been a little bit disappointed in their series to be honest. They've all been really good matches, bordering on great at times, but they're a little bit too spotty and kicky for my tastes, and there isn't that overarching story told by the work that you see in the really great series', where they build on the previous matches. Maybe I should watch them all again, but I haven't been seeing those "that worked in the last match, but now it's countered" or "one of them found a weakness or something that worked last time, so now they're gameplanning it" kind of touches to the work. Maybe I'm missing it.

I think Jericho works smarter matches than either of them, but like Rey, he's got the benefit of a decade of experience and different variety of opponents that they could never have....part of a dying breed of workers (and you can throw Finley and Regal in there too), it's going to be sad when that generation is gone

I like quite a few guys in NJPW better than anyone in WWE. I am glad that Rey is back though.

That being said, EVERYONE better watch the 3-hour 1,000th episode of RAW tonight if you call yourself a wrestling fan. Even if you hate current WWE or were never a fan of Vince McMahon wrestling, the cameos alone will make it worth it, in my opinion.

Or as Dave Meltzer put it (paraphrased): Everyone that isn't in re-hab this week, or that isn't dead, if they have a telephone they got a call.

Finally got to watch the LA Park-Jarrett angle from AAA on YouTube tonight, didn't seem as OMG RACISM~! as Dr. Lucha made it sound on his show with Bryan last week.

Quick synopsis: Park and Abyss had a match for Park's AAA Latin America title, Abyss had Jeff and Karen in his corner. Park overcomes both Jarretts interfering like crazy to win the match, only to have the Perros Del Mal run in and beat him down. They tie him to a chair with duct/electrical tape, and put a serape and sombrero on him to make him look like a stereotypical drunk Mexican. Karen was outstanding, posing next to him for pictures like she was a tourist. What stood out to me is that Park's mask was pretty much entirely ripped off for 3/4ths of the match to the point where they had to blur his face on TV and he had to hold whatever was left with his teeth.

It was interesting to watch a whole episode of AAA TV for the first time in months. I have to agree with a commenter on cubsfan's site who pointed out AAA is trying to appeal to the same demographic that ECW appealed to in their heyday, but that group really doesn't exist in Mexico. It's certainly different from the product CMLL offers, which seems like the lucha equivalent to 70s WWWF trying to draw today, but I don't know if ECW-ized lucha is something that has legs.

I am way out of the loop on my puro news, so I was surprised to hear that Takeshi Rikio retired at only 39 due to serious neck injuries. The last thing NOAH needs is to lose another main event level guy, but I am heartened to see a star smart enough to understand that there is more to life than wrestling, and get out while he still has his health. I wish Misawa had done the same, and I wish Kobashi would get that message too. :(

I am way out of the loop on my puro news, so I was surprised to hear that Takeshi Rikio retired at only 39 due to serious neck injuries. The last thing NOAH needs is to lose another main event level guy, but I am heartened to see a star smart enough to understand that there is more to life than wrestling, and get out while he still has his health. I wish Misawa had done the same, and I wish Kobashi would get that message too. :(

Rikio has been out of action for two years and actually announced his retirement last November. Really losing Rikio wasn't a huge loss, as he never got over to the level NOAH hoped. It's easier to get out when you don't own the promotion or such a big draw that even when your a completely broken down shell of your former self you will still attract some fans to shows.

So as far as I can tell, fairly big names went to Hawaii to work for Rocky's mother throughout the 80s.

Do we have any of this footage? Did they have local TV?

Ok. In the Mid-Eighties Polynesian Pro Wrestling was aired on Saturday nights on the cable channel that was there to see the Stock Market Ticker and they'd put on any old thing behind that. I remember seeing Flair vs. Siva Afi in a big main event, Lawler heeling it up in a promo, and lots of Lars Anderson. It didn't last long and they re-ran a lot of shows, but I'd imagine SOMEONE taped these.

So as far as I can tell, fairly big names went to Hawaii to work for Rocky's mother throughout the 80s.

Ok. In the Mid-Eighties Polynesian Pro Wrestling was aired on Saturday nights on the cable channel that was there to see the Stock Market Ticker and they'd put on any old thing behind that. I remember seeing Flair vs. Siva Afi in a big main event, Lawler heeling it up in a promo, and lots of Lars Anderson. It didn't last long and they re-ran a lot of shows, but I'd imagine SOMEONE taped these.

I have definitely seen footage of Hawaii floating around with the stock market ticker running at the bottom.

I have definitely seen footage of Hawaii floating around with the stock market ticker running at the bottom.

There is a bunch available. I'll throw some match listings up in the trading forum for anyone curious.