Pro Wrestling Only

Elimination Chamber 2013

goodhelmet

Aside from the long rest spot, I thought that match was really fun as an over-booked big match, especially towards the end. Deflating ending, was expecting something screwy to happen with the DQ stip, especially with Punk so assured with the "you're gonna get DQed" in the beginning.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main event here is what the main event at Rumble should have been. Punk got to kick out of something meaningful and got a visual fall (which he didn't have to have at Rumble but he needed something to look strong there). Match was decent for what it was, but I just can't stand The Rock's act at this point. I did love that one big punch though

Punk vs. Rock

Way better than Rumble. It had some really good stuff in it. I liked the count out spot and Punk kicking out of Rock's big moves and essentially having him beat but this doesn't really matter because it was fucked up in the first place. The closing stretch was just ludicrous altogether.

I was thinking it was possible for Henry and Show to now team up as the Giant Fat Men Who Hate Booker T.

Henry did eliminate both of the tag champs

That is actually what gave me the idea, then the post-match added more fuel to my imaginary fire.

For Punk/Rock, I think above all else they all did a really poor job selling the stipulation. I never at any point thought Rock was in any danger of being DQ'd. When he went outside and rammed Punk into the table numerous times the referee visibly did not give a shit, and never really even threatened Rock with a DQ at any point. Add that to the announcers going on and on about Rock being "too scared" to do anything remotely illegal at the same time he was throwing Punk wildly into furniture, not to mention Rock taking Punk's bait at the beginning far too easily and looking foolish (well, he would have if there were any consequences), and it was all round a really poor attempt at using the story given to them.

As far as matches with that stupid ass stip go, Orton/Christian at MITB did a far better job. Here it was just a lazy way to get some nearfalls on Rock by being able to do a countout tease and by bumping refs and getting visual pins all over the place.

The main event here is what the main event at Rumble should have been. Punk got to kick out of something meaningful and got a visual fall

Why should Punk get a visual fall? He is the chickenshit heel going against the top face in the company. Visual falls are only needed when you want the heel to go over at the same time as protecting a face.

Punk getting cheated out of a clean win in this match made no sense, especially since it has already been established that he needs help and interference to beat The Rock. The only explanation is that they are running a triple threat at WM and needed to keep Punk strong for it.

The main event here is what the main event at Rumble should have been. Punk got to kick out of something meaningful and got a visual fall

Why should Punk get a visual fall? He is the chickenshit heel going against the top face in the company. Visual falls are only needed when you want the heel to go over at the same time as protecting a face.

I don't think Punk needed a visual fall here and don't think he needed to get one at RR. I do think he needed to kick out of something at note in the heat of action. I did like him getting a visual fall, because a guy who has just been the champ of your promotion for over a year - and where the majority of his reign was not spent as a chickenshit guy (that really hit with the Ryback feud) - should not be beaten so easily by a guy that barely qualifies as a part timer.

The way WWE main events work (for better or worse) in the modern era is that even the weakest of heels usually get to kick out of something so they don't look like a bitch. Guys get protected maybe to a fault by that at times, but it's something I have become conditioned to expect as a week-to-week fan.

Hell Jericho was FAR more protected against Punk on Raw a couple of weeks ago then Punk was in the RR match with Rock. That's something I have a problem with, which is why I preferred the finish tonight.

Hilarious botch aside, Del Rio/Show was really good. But the repackaging of Del Rio as a Mexican hero is a bit heavy-handed for my tastes. Look, he lies, cheats, and steals just like Eddie! West Coast Pop! Shades of the great Rey Mysterio! They should probably tone it down a notch.

My favorite part of the Chamber match was everything involving Mark Henry. My least favorite part was anything not involving Mark Henry.

The Cena FIP section in the six-man was quite good, but the hot tag was complete shit. Christ, I hate WWE hot tags. They single-handedly ruin every single WWE tag match for me. And they've succeeded in completely cutting Ryback's nuts off. They need to repackage him or turn him heel or something, because any revenge he gets on the Shield at this point is going to be too little, too late.

The Rock is so not in ring shape, it's ridiculous. It's actually kind of sad to watch. I always thought making Rock/Cena a triple threat match with Punk was a terrible idea, but I'm starting to think it might be necessary to make the match watchable.

The first few matches were really good, but everything from the six-man on was pretty weak. I'll go thumbs in the middle.

I was thinking it was possible for Henry and Show to now team up as the Giant Fat Men Who Hate Booker T.

Henry/Show is my dream team, but only provided they call themselves "Too Big To Fail."

As long as they have a team called the "Bailout", I am down with this.

Wildly off topic, but I'd always retrospectively fantasy booked it that in 2008 instead of whatever shit they did with Shawn Michaels being poor or w/e, JBL should've come out flush with his newly received "bail out money" and bought up Show and Henry to do his bidding under the "Too Big to Fail" moniker.

An entertaining show from top to bottom. I thought the Chamber match was top-shelf, and loved how the intensity just built and built culminating with Mark Henry. Henry pounding on the chamber partition as he waited getting into the match was great, and he was the star of the match to me. Everything he did was over and seemed to mean the most. Believable elimination too after eating two finishers back to back.

Swagger took a real beating. So many bumps onto the metal structure. Not sure where him winning puts Ziggler, but given the current Del Rio character, doing him vs Swagger makes sense. I eagerly await the Swagger/Dutch vs Del Rio/Ricardo tag match.

I also really enjoyed the six man. The Shield have such a great act going as a trio. Didn't expect them to win, so that was a pleasant surprise. The double heat also built tons of anticipation for Ryback to finally tag into the match.

People like to shit on the Miz, but the Cesaro-Miz match was good stuff. Tons of great limb work, and Cesaro was fantastic doing the little things, whether it was working Miz's fingers in arm holds or pounding on his own leg after the steps spot. Tip of the hat as well to the commentators for putting over Cesaro's lack of kneepads and how that could be his undoing.

The two title matches weren't really memorable, but they were decent enough and entertaining, aside from Del Rio totally whiffing on the bucket dropkick.

The divas match was short enough to be watchable, and Ziggler vs Kofi was a fun little sprint.

For a wrestling fan, I can imagine many worse ways to spend an evening than watching this show.

That show was a blast.

Heeeeey, It's a PPV. Obviously, everything's coming up Johnny.

Ok, let's go through it.

1. Show vs Del Rio: Actually, I thought this was just ok. Then the botch happened and we were all "Ah Christ." and it took us out of it for a second. Good match, but the least of what they've done this feud.

2. Cesaro vs. Miz: I loved this. Cesaro destroying Miz' injured shoulder all match while Miz was doing whatever he could to survive and fight back ruled. The finish stunk, but in one of those Crockett NWA ways that made me feel nostalgic. And Miz kicking Cesaro in the balls after the match in a "Fuck, if I'm gonna lose from an accidental ball shot I might as well do it for real" way was great stuff.

3.The Chamber Match fucking ruled. Watching Mark Henry turn into "Stone Cold" Mark Henry was cool as fuck.

4. Shield vs Cena/ Shaemus/ Ryback: This totally kicked ass and stole the show. It was the best six man tag I've seen in forever.

5. Ziggler vs Kofi: Not bad. Perfectly fine filler.

6. The Chicks: I have no idea, We had a smoke break.

7. Rock vs Punk: I liked this just fine. Rock looked fine to me, and Punk was doing his schtick great. Was it the match of the year? No. But it was fun and entertaining. And better than the first one.

Add in pizza, beer, weed, pals and the fact that the 16 year old here is throwing a party for his pals here now after the PPV and I'm planning on going upstairs to embarrass him the rest of the night....then I give this night of wrestling an A minus.

Put me in the corner of really enjoying the PPV. Miz-Cesaro was excellent until the finish. The chamber was well laid-out with the awesome beast run by Henry and a finishing run that kept me engaged even though I cared little about any of the three guys. The six-man was a solid WWE MOTYC. And the main event was probably about as good a match as we're going to get from those two, given current Rock's limitations. I get all the questions about the booking for Mania but in terms of delivering on the big matches, this was a very good show.

The Shield is essentially Kaientai Deluxe without the flashy highflying with their level of double teaming and mugging. I love it. What an awesome match that was. Just perfectly built.

I haven't watched TV, so watching the main event it really seemed like Punk would get a cheap win, leading to a Triple Threat at Mania. Obviously that didn't happen. So, now I have no idea what they have planned.

So far we have,

Rock vs. Cena

Del Rio vs. Swagger

Not a great start.

However, for your Mexican hero babyface champ who better is there for him to face then the American anti-immigrant? Too bad that is Swagger and not JBL.