Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With The Past #4

Loss

I'd love it if you had an .rss feed for this show. I use a podcatcher app on my devices that checks every 4 hours for new podcasts and downloads them automatically. Without that certain podcasts could fall through the net. However as I really enjoyed Wrestling With The Past #1 I don't mind manually looking for new episodes via soundcloud or this board.

Smack, I agree. That is how I listen to most podcasts. Too bad we live in a world where people want it to be even more convenient than that and when we are competing with other podcasts just for people's time, that can make the difference in the shows that people listen to.

If the podcast is listed in iTunes, subscribers can use iCloud to sync their progress between iTunes and the podcasts app for iPhone/iPad, which is insanely convenient.

It's very, very easy to make a podcast feed, both for submitting to iTunes and so people can use other podcatching apps. If SoundCloud provides a direct MP3 link you can use, then you just need to link that in each blog post. If they don't, that complicates things. You could always use another site like Archive.org, which provides free hosting for all self-produced audio and is pretty flexible (you can get a direct link for a podcast, but they also have a Flash-based embeddable player).

Another excellent show guys. I'm not a huge cage match fan but the high end stuff like Tully/Magnum definitely ranks very well with me too. I liked that you guys touch on the subject of singles versus tag matches in cages. To me, I much prefer singles matches in the cage. It should be one versus one. I looked at cages matches as being No DQ so when they are doing tag matches but having guys make tags it doesn't make sense to me. It really has to be tornado rules in those tag matches. Bodies/Express match was mentioned which is one of the few that I would say needs to have tags so Ricky can do his thing. Though I felt the Bodies spent too much of that match chasing Rock n' Roll's.

I'm not totally into the idea of matches with multiple gimmicks. I don't think more gimmicks necessarily makes a better match. Well, the DiBiase/Duggan match is a clear exception to that since all the gimmicks were played up in the history leading up to the match. Watched it earlier today and again loved it. Loss has mentioned the Flair/Garvin match before so I'm looking forward to eventually being able to watch that one.

Wasn't brought up though Will did mentioned how he prefers his cage matches to have blood but what about some of the cages matches we were seeing from early 90's USWA-TX? There seemed to be little to any reason why they were in the cage and then the wrestled straight up matches barely using the cage with no blood and not using escape rules on the TV matches due to censorship. Why even get in the cage if you can't actually have a match worthy of being in there.

I've never considered Hell In a Cell to be a cage match. Always thought of it as a different gimmick even though there is the fence around. To me the blue bars look more dangerous. I'd rather have my head rammed into a fence/mesh than into a steel bar. The blue bars just didn't look safe and I've read guys hated them because they were so unforgiven. I grew up on that cage but I'm fine that they ended up ditching eventually. The fence allows for the great visual of rubbing your opponents face along it. I'm fine with escape rules as I grew up on those but I agreed pinfall/submission is better.

Wasn't brought up though Will did mentioned how he prefers his cage matches to have blood but what about some of the cages matches we were seeing from early 90's USWA-TX? There seemed to be little to any reason why they were in the cage and then the wrestled straight up matches barely using the cage with no blood and not using escape rules on the TV matches due to censorship. Why even get in the cage if you can't actually have a match worthy of being in there.

Potential ticket sales playing off consumer's perception of cage matches.

That said, I'm not sure if the USWA made any money in the early 90s anyway but from a business standpoint, despite the letdown, I can see why they'd still trot it out there.

I have heard a lot of people talk about when the Blue Barred cage first came into existence for WWF to replace the fence...

I am fairly certain the first time was Mania 2 in 86 with Hogan and Bundy as they said they had to get a new modified, sturdier cage to support Bundy, as the storyline went....Jesse even mentions it in the pre-match about not having a normal cage for Bundy....

Can anyone confirm this?

To add to that Mania 2 match, I saw an interview with Hogan where he talked about all the lumps on his head from that cage after the match as it was harder to hit than the old cyclone fence...

One BIG issue, he NEVER ran into it with his face the whole fuckin match....

I still dont get why if you were as big as you were, that you have to embellish it further...ahhh Hulkskter...

I'm really enjoying these shows - it is great that you're giving the subjects enough time in order to go into some depth on matches/angles etc. I'd love to hear a follow-up on non-US cage matches.

In terms of the blue bars I'd assumed that they were brought in (and kept) because they made escape-rules matches a lot easier to execute, as they seem a lot easier to climb up and down than a normal cage. As the whole drama in an escape rules cage match is built around climbing the cage I can see the logic, especially with big guys, although it didn't make the more 'normal' sequences of a match any easier.

• 3 months later...