Pro Wrestling Only

Most boring wrestler of all time?

Mr. Lacelle

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I could list about 100 people...

Dory Funk Jr, obviously.

Kane has never done anything i've liked, ever. So so boring, and so so bad.

Cody Rhodes. You know when you are doing a create-a-wrestler in a video game, and you start with a generic template? That's Cody. He is as generic as you can be in 2013. You could stick him in a Delorean, send him to 1955, and he'd fit right in. He is what you get when guys go through WWE developmental and don't ever work anywhere else.

Dino Bravo

I'm ready for the abuse, but Jumbo Tsuruta is a guy I just will never "get". I've tried so hard. He puts me to sleep.

Cliche time, but Randy Orton. This guy is the model of WWE style main event worker, as he's never worked anywhere else and knows no other style to mix things up. Everything is so manufactured. He's like a wrestling robot, programmed by WWE developmental, just like Rhodes.

Bobby Roode. Technically fine, but never grabs me. Had one match ever that I liked, the Austin Aries title win, and that was all Aries for me.

Magnus

James Storm. I like his promos and how he carries himself, but in the ring he doesn't hold my attention for whatever reason.

Alberto Del Rio. As Dos Caras Jr, too.

Ron Bass

Naoki Sano, especially the NOAH years with his endless spin kicks.

Greg Valentine on any post IC run WWE house show. 20 minutes, one highspot, one flat face bump. Book it.

Big John Studd

Would it be more fair to discuss boring wrestlers within time periods? Like, I'll gladly accept that Larry Z had some decent stretches but his '86 AWA stuff has so much stalling and is so epicly dull.

The heel Rougeaus were pretty dreadful, despite how fun the initial promos were that set up the turn. Their heat segments are coma inducing. Endless chinlocks.

So much I disagree with here.

First, the match between Bockwinkel and Larry Z was my second favourite match of the 80's in the AWA. It was amazing and anything but boring.

Also, the Rougeaus were masters at getting heat.

You may not like them, but boring?

Harley Race is on a short list for me

Why?! I'm watching him deck Gary Young now (circa 78?). He's awesome.

I think I love Harley because he throws so many bombs. You can criticise him a la Matt D for not really being much of a structure guy and I get that criticism.

But boring? I don't get that. Just seen him hit an awesome backbreaker, swinging reverse neckbreaker and a massive stalled vertical suplex in the space of 2 minutes. He's anything but boring!

I said it last week and I'll say it again, but he might be my all-time favourite "worker in a vacuum". I can't think of a guy who can come in with no storyline or context and just have a great match out of nowhere. I love that Race vs. Rich match from GAB 90, I love Race vs. Martel from AWA, and neither of them have any sort of context at all.

Where he suffers, I'd argue, is in the opposite scenario. He's very underwhelming at Starrcade 83 because he doesn't bring any emotion to the match despite the fact that it had been so built up. Weird that.

Harley Race is on a short list for me

Why?! I'm watching him deck Gary Young now (circa 78?). He's awesome.

I think I love Harley because he throws so many bombs. You can criticise him a la Matt D for not really being much of a structure guy and I get that criticism.

But boring? I don't get that. Just seen him hit an awesome backbreaker, swinging reverse neckbreaker and a massive stalled vertical suplex in the space of 2 minutes. He's anything but boring!

Maybe I need to see more from him revisited. Was just too methodical for my taste which is weird because I liked Valentine alot. I know that he was a daring bumper but just remember too many slow paced matches with him. Hated the Starrcade 83 match, never cared for his WWF work either. I was blah on the few matches I saw of his in World Class. I will be fair and re watch the Japan stuff I have of him as well as the Wrestlerock 86 match.

Not too mention that Harley was the exact type of wrestler the NWA shouldn't have been pushing once the 80's rolled around. I also didn't like any of the 70's footage I saw from him. His Starrcade match has to be one of the worse main event big show matches of the 80's. Thank God for Piper-Valentine and the tag match or that woulda been a dissapointing show.

Oh man, I could list about 100 people...

Dory Funk Jr, obviously.

Kane has never done anything i've liked, ever. So so boring, and so so bad.

Cody Rhodes. You know when you are doing a create-a-wrestler in a video game, and you start with a generic template? That's Cody. He is as generic as you can be in 2013. You could stick him in a Delorean, send him to 1955, and he'd fit right in. He is what you get when guys go through WWE developmental and don't ever work anywhere else.

Dino Bravo

I'm ready for the abuse, but Jumbo Tsuruta is a guy I just will never "get". I've tried so hard. He puts me to sleep.

Cliche time, but Randy Orton. This guy is the model of WWE style main event worker, as he's never worked anywhere else and knows no other style to mix things up. Everything is so manufactured. He's like a wrestling robot, programmed by WWE developmental, just like Rhodes.

Bobby Roode. Technically fine, but never grabs me. Had one match ever that I liked, the Austin Aries title win, and that was all Aries for me.

Magnus

James Storm. I like his promos and how he carries himself, but in the ring he doesn't hold my attention for whatever reason.

Alberto Del Rio. As Dos Caras Jr, too.

Ron Bass

Naoki Sano, especially the NOAH years with his endless spin kicks.

Greg Valentine on any post IC run WWE house show. 20 minutes, one highspot, one flat face bump. Book it.

Big John Studd

For someone who I disagree with almost all the time, our lists here are remarkably similar, including Jumbo. The only one I completely disagree with is Sano, though I tend to like more post-IC title Valentine (while admitting some of it is boring) and Del Rio I think is good in the ring, just often cringeworthy as a character.

I find it somewhat comforting that Randy Orton has been mentionned a whole lot in this thread. As it's been said, this guy embodies everything I hate about what has become the in-house WWE style. Totally manufactured from A to Z, absolutely soulless, nothing remotely believable (his "Viper" act and maneurisms are the most robotic fake-ass shit I've ever seen). This WWE-bred style is the Autotune of pro-wrestling.

I find it somewhat comforting that Randy Orton has been mentionned a whole lot in this thread. As it's been said, this guy embodies everything I hate about what has become the in-house WWE style. Totally manufactured from A to Z, absolutely soulless, nothing remotely believable (his "Viper" act and maneurisms are the most robotic fake-ass shit I've ever seen). This WWE-bred style is the Autotune of pro-wrestling.

I totally agree with this, but Orton seems to pull out a handful of really good matches every year. He and Del Rio are both guys I can say I can't really stand much, but have found myself getting into some of their matches.

Just watched the Bulldog/Bezerker match aswell, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great, and Nord's kicks look awful when he has Davey tied up in the ropes!

Here's a question, of all the names mentioned so far who do you think is the most boring and who do you think is the biggest travesty that their names have even been mentioned in this thread?

Most boring: Crush

Least boring: Williams/Gordy