Most boring wrestler of all time?

Mr. Lacelle

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

John Walters is right there, Mike.

I might be biased because Walters did some good stuff in 2CW years later, but Walters had that match with Daniels and the Xavier feud to his credit. I'm at a complete loss for anything from Rave that's even close to the Daniels match. And, Rave had a much longer run and a lot more quality opponents than Walters.

John Walters is right there, Mike.

I might be biased because Walters did some good stuff in 2CW years later, but Walters had that match with Daniels and the Xavier feud to his credit. I'm at a complete loss for anything from Rave that's even close to the Daniels match. And, Rave had a much longer run and a lot more quality opponents than Walters.

Are you just talking in ROH?

I've always found it bizzare that there were only a few guys on the ROH roster that had more heat than Jimmy Rave in 2005-06, and that there were also fewer who were so boring to actually watch work.

That was his whole whole gimmick, as bizarre as it sounds on paper. He was meant to work matches like a generic boring WWE heel of the period, with the requisite rest holds and mannerisms and dull offence. His finish was even the Pedigree to get even more heat.

Rave was one of the most entertaining wrestlers in that period, precisely because he was such an antidote to the go-go-go style everyone else was working. His stable was fantastic, his character was fun as hell, he could work the mic decent enough, and his matches were usually at least average and at the very least a little different to everything else on thew show. He garnered a lot of praise at the time for someone who actually had pacing and restraint.

He had his fair share of decent matches as well. The feud with CM Punk was enjoyable enough, especially the cage match. He also had an absolutely brilliant match with Matt Sydal on one show, just a perfect ten minute sprint, Angle/Mysterio from Summerslam would be the aptest comparison. Not seen him in years so maybe he has declined.

He is way, way better than someone like BJ Whitmer, who actually was trying hard and going for broke with every match working this paradoxically tedious high impact style without any character or charisma. He has to be a candidate for most boring.

• 1 month later...

Bobby Eaton

No...

Mike Rotunda would be my answer. Not a fan of his, uh, deliberate style, and specifically as IRS, his over-use of the chinlock.

First thing that came to my mind was Rotunda, specifically the IRS run, but Rotunda in general. Nobody loved a chinlock better. It's like you read my mind! lol

As for the Bobby Eaton guy.... common now...

Growing up I always found Eaton really bland. He had no personality and couldn't talk, which made he seem like the least important member of MX / Dangerous Alliance. The blond mullet in an era where every second wcw wrestler had one didn't help him stand out either.

I can't remember who I said before in this thread but I've changed it for Jimmy Garvin. The Freebirds were horrible after 89 but at least Hayes felt like he was just a creepy, slightly annoying, past-it rock star. Garvin is one of the most embarrassing examples of a guy 'play acting at being a wrestler' ( or rock star) I've seen. A lousy sack of shit from the Rotunda school of charisma.

• 2 weeks later...