Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Cornette Experience

I wonder how much of the hate on Miz is how he got into the business and not his ability in the ring. The Miz was just some guy from reality TV that loved wresting and won Tough Enough. He wasn't a former football player. His experience on the indies was very very limited. he didn't come up in the business like most.

I always look at Cornette this way. It is hard to respect his current views on the business when he thinks guys like Mike Bennett and Matt Morgan are/were great prospects and Sami Zayn and Kevin Steen sucks.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the issue is not so much a problem with Miz, but that it perpetuates the belief that it's not that hard to be a wrestler, and that they aren't really tough guys after all since even a scrawny reality star was able to get into it and be successful.

Which I find completely weird. Cornette, and others, will praise MMA and be quick to say pro wrestling could learn a thing from MMA, but then these same guys ignore the fact that people like Royce Gracie exist and were kicking ass back in the day. The biggest draws in combat sports (Anderson Silva, Ronda Rousey, Manny, Money Mayweather) all look like whimps if you really think about it. Yet, these people are kicking ass and taking names. It just amazes me that some pro wrestling fans see Money Mayweather is one of the baddest men on the planet who can probably stand-to-toe with some of the best in the heavyweight division, but think that Rey Mysterio beating The Big Show fair-and-square is a little to out-of-the-realm of possibility.

I love Cornette the performer (and even the SMW promoter) but he really isn't worth anything from a creative point of view. When he went back to OVW, he should have named it SMW Redux. Nothing felt fresh or new in the company. it all felt old and tired. It was fun but it wasn't original. He eneds to stick to telling old stories and collaborating on cool wrestling history books.

Cornette's most impressive work creatively (not knowing what specific angles he was involved in with his WCW and WWE booking team gigs at least) was probably when he was driven insane trying to fix the Doug Basham-Damaja feud when WWE called them up as the Basham Brothers tag team. He actually made a coherent storyline out of it.

If you want to hear a detailed discussion on the early days of SMW's business that doubles as a rant on Tim Horner, this week's show is for you. That discussion alone is like 10+ minutes.

Yeah, what is the deal with Horner. I've seen a couple of Cornette shoots, but never recall the Horner hate. Anyone have the story?

Cornette's most impressive work creatively (not knowing what specific angles he was involved in with his WCW and WWE booking team gigs at least) was probably when he was driven insane trying to fix the Doug Basham-Damaja feud when WWE called them up as the Basham Brothers tag team. He actually made a coherent storyline out of it.

Agree. Being in Louisville, I was able to attend many OVW events during the time frame. I think the entire storyline with Basham, etc was well built.

Listen to the show. He was very detailed about Horner, from before SMW even started, where he brought Horner into the business so as not to have Horner running random on-off shows in an area he was trying to open up. This whole part of the story I hadn't heard before. The entire rest of the story about Horner running merch, the ring truck deal, etc. was very much in line to how Jim explained it during the 1995 Fanweek Q&A. Amazing this man's memory for details 20 years later.

Listen to the show. He was very detailed about Horner, from before SMW even started, where he brought Horner into the business so as not to have Horner running random on-off shows in an area he was trying to open up. This whole part of the story I hadn't heard before. The entire rest of the story about Horner running merch, the ring truck deal, etc. was very much in line to how Jim explained it during the 1995 Fanweek Q&A. Amazing this man's memory for details 20 years later.

Is this the live Mid Atlantic show?

Is this the live Mid Atlantic show?

No, it's the following week.

If you listen to the new one with Adrian Street, skip ahead to the interview. Unless you want to hear Cornette being a clueless loudmouth douchebag about Robin Williams. It was actually good to have Alice on as she calmly tried to explain what depression is. Cornette was just all, "Everyone gets depressed", "figure out who is causing you to be depressed and focus that energy on fantasizing about murdering those people", " He was rich and successful, I don't get it!" I wanted to punch my truck speakers.

The Street interview is very good.

The human mind is amazing. Its amazing how we can create our own world outside of reality. We have all had that moment/day in our life were something small ruins the entire day. Its easy to forget blessings at times. I hope on next week's show Alice gets a little more platform to talk about depression. I'm not saying this needs to turn into Dr. Phil or anything- but they usually use the first 15 minutes to talk about bullshit and get the plugs in before the interview- why not switch it up and have a friendly debate/education piece on the subject of depression before rolling into the interview with Sydney Batt.

If you listen to the new one with Adrian Street, skip ahead to the interview. Unless you want to hear Cornette being a clueless loudmouth douchebag about Robin Williams. It was actually good to have Alice on as she calmly tried to explain what depression is. Cornette was just all, "Everyone gets depressed", "figure out who is causing you to be depressed and focus that energy on fantasizing about murdering those people", " He was rich and successful, I don't get it!" I wanted to punch my truck speakers.

That sounds appalling. I never listen to Cornette pre-interview. Nor Jericho, Ross or Austin.

Don't want to sound harsh, but I'm not there for their musings on life etc.

Street's shoot interview with RF is also very good and worth searching out, despite Feinstein being completely unprepared with his questions.

That sounds appalling. I never listen to Cornette pre-interview. Nor Jericho, Ross or Austin.

Partially agree, Jericho is cringe worthy until the interview starts where he can be fantastic. I don't listen to Ross or Cornette at all. But I listen to Austin's entire episodes. Some of his rants about performance enhanced rats and finding parking spots at the grocery store are hilarious. I look forward to his BS episodes as much as I do his interviews.

• 1 month later...

I try to avoid pre-interview stuff on podcasts, period. Bill Burr has a podcast that is basically him ranting into a microphone, and that is way too close to talk radio for me to even entertain the idea of listening to. And I think he's hilarious and a good actor, so it's not anything against him. Sad to hear Cornette had such a narrow opinion on Williams' death, I figured he'd be a little more respectful. I believe I started this thread but I don't think I've actually listened to one of his shows.

• 2 weeks later...