Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Cornette Experience

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I've seen plenty from the Fabs. And I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm not trying to dispute the guy's work or ability at all. Don't get the wrong impression. I was just seeing if anyone could point out a breakthrough singles performance or pivotal moment where it looked like he could certainly have been THE guy.

It's one of those things where I was hoping to hear about a hidden gem I haven't discovered yet or something along those lines. That's all.

The Sullivan shows are a prime example of wrestlers talking to fellow wrestlers get the most out of guys. I'm only 30 minutes into this and Corny got more out of both Sullivan & Orndorff than any other interviews I've heard from them. Also a reason I enjoy the Steve Corino "Old School" series from Highspots.

Regarding Keirn, I haven't seen a ton of Fabs stuff but I don't remember either one standing out above the other. The best Keirn stuff I've seen was on the DVDVR New Japan set. I have a match he had with Flair from like 1986 (which I realize is well after the point he could have been Backlund) that I just can't bring myself to watch.

A lot of Keirn's best singles matches probably don't exist in full on tape, but the early 80s matches with Fujinami are really excellent. The Fabulous Ones were also a great tag team with plenty of terrific matches. Keirn was very good.

There is a lot of Keirn singles matches on the Georgia footage I have. He's having matches with people like Les Thornton, Masa Saito, Kevin Sullivan, and Bobby Eaton. He was fueding for the GCW TV title circa 1981, but also had some junior matches with Thornton, who is something of a forgotten worker.

Interestingly, in that timeframe the main eventers didn't tend to work long matches on TV mainly working angles to hype the Omni, so likes of Keirn and Sullivan would be the ones having longer matches.

Keirn often tagged with Steve O during this time.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sullivan story about him working with the Wright brothers and bleeding in the 70's is just amazing. it makes me want a comp DVD of them to see if they are that crazy

"THAT A BOY LAY IT IN. THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKE IT HERE" :lol:

Great story. The Sullivan show 2 was even better than the first, if that's possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I also wanted to mention that Alice is a complete and utter waste of space. Luckily, she mostly stays quiet during the interviews. I just skip the opening 10 minutes or so and get to where the guest comes in.

Alice is annoying because she has no clue, and is not a proper fan. When she said that she really got to be more interested in Cornette through his shoot interviews rather than from familiarity with his actual career, I wondered why she's on there at all.

She has no chemistry at all with Corny and whenever she talks it's awkward and unnatural. Sounds like she's butting in or speaking out of turn. Absolutely zero value to the show. Zero. About as worthless an on-air presence as I can think of.

Yup. Ditto, Parv.

If it helps any, I've got it narrowed down to the 12 to 15 minute range of most Corny's Experiences. Takes 'em a good chunk of time to get the bullshit out of the way.

Alice has a great voice for radio, but yeah. That's about it. Offers next to nothing for me otherwise. She's plugged her own Raw Review podcast a few times, and holy hell. I can only imagine how "in-depth" and engaging that joker can get.

Truth be told, I can partially understand the novelty of having someone from "outside" the bubble there for the purpose of a different perception or outside opinion on things. But she's not the answer. I hate to get TOO critical about her though, since I don't think they've really found the right combination for Corny in any other capacity just yet either.

Court brought nothing to the table in terms of chemistry. Bolin's overbearing and only barely tolerable in very short, very minor doses. So I don't know.

I also wanted to mention that Alice is a complete and utter waste of space. Luckily, she mostly stays quiet during the interviews. I just skip the opening 10 minutes or so and get to where the guest comes in.

Alice is annoying because she has no clue, and is not a proper fan. When she said that she really got to be more interested in Cornette through his shoot interviews rather than from familiarity with his actual career, I wondered why she's on there at all.

She has no chemistry at all with Corny and whenever she talks it's awkward and unnatural. Sounds like she's butting in or speaking out of turn. Absolutely zero value to the show. Zero. About as worthless an on-air presence as I can think of.

I agree completely. I can't stand hearing her stutter through her replies while trying to offer a clever retort, and failing miserably every time.

I noticed on the most recent podcast with Larry Matysik, when Jim was talking about how thick Jim Herd's hair was, she said something about if her and Jim (Cornette) ever met in person, she'd have to show him how thick her own hair is.

Realizing they've never met in person, and (as mentioned), she's only familiar with Jim through his shoots, begs the question again: What does she have to offer?

She records the show & conferences in the guests, that's her contribution. Jim has said on multiple occassions he can't dump her because of that.

There have been a pretty good run of shows lately though with Orndorff, Young, Sullivan, Matysik. I do wish Cornette would drop the weekly bit of insulting Court Bauer for charging so little for site membership

• 2 weeks later...

Just now revving up the Missy episode. She's almost always upbeat and positive when speaking about the old days, so I'm hoping it's as good as I've heard. I hate the exploitative garbage she's done, but she's fairly enjoyable when just shooting the shit & reminiscing about stories, angles, and the boys.

Still not sold on anything Alice, but yeah. It's cool that the Network has opened her eyes to the talents of Barry Windham, etc. Just passed the part where Corny speaks about the Network in his opening. And - as grating as it is to hear him bitch & moan about the current product sometimes - ya gotta love it when he says things like, "As long as they're showing the good stuff, it's fine. It's just that, ya know, we don't wanna see the FUCKING MIZ."

Listening to the latest Jim Cornette Experience and there's a throwaway discussion that to me really highlights how out of touch he is with wrestling, or more succinctly how he needs to remove his rose colored glasses about the past. Basically he went into a very small rant about how the Network isn't worth it because no one wants to see the new stuff, the bad stuff like the Miz. What they want to see is all the great stuff, specifically the early 90s and 80s.

I understand Cornette's point, but at the same time I think he's woefully misguided in that point of view. That's like saying the Miz is around, so that means Cesaro, Bryan, Cena, and every other person on the roster also isn't worth watching. However, the real reason I think it highlights a failing of Cornette's is how he looks back at past wrestling and sees it all as great. He decries stuff like the Miz and then talks about things like wrestling bears as if they are an example of how great wrestling was. He also ignores things like the Dynamic Dudes, the Ding Dongs, Oz, and untold other terrible gimmicks from the NWA, WCCW, Mid-South, Memphis, WWF, etc.

Lots of people may think the Miz is terrible, and they are justified in thinking as such. That doesn't change how awful wrestling has been in the past, and how terrible gimmick and wrestlers have always been shoved down the consumers throats. This is why I don't think Cornette, and Ross, are the be all and end all voices of wrestling that too many people, myself included, often peg them as. They did great things in wrestling, but they also did plenty of awful things. The fact that they can't see the good in wrestling today or the awful in wrestling's past, that's just ignorant and, to run a comment into the ground, a sign of how out of touch they are.

I couldn't care any less whether Cornette actually likes The Miz or not. It was just funny to hear him dismiss Miz with such disdain. Funny stuff.

Besides, I highly doubt Jimmy could even tell ya what shtick the Miz is working these days anyhow. I actually don't mind the act, since he's played it pretty well with his in-ring "protecting the face" spots & whatnot. Pretty much on board with ya there, Johnny.