Pro Wrestling Only

Worst Professional Wrestler Ever?

Fantastic

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Furnas has turned up in my Smoky Mountain Wrestling viewing and is awful. By some fluke he is now 'Beat the Champ' TV champion, and even limiting the length of his matches and with his offense primarily consisting of a shoulderblock, he is the worst wrestler to show up in that territory by some way.

Shocked that Stevie Ray hasn't been mentioned yet.

Dunno. He wasn't phenomenally over as a Harlem Heat member but the team did have their moments and to me he had some comic value as the delusional self appointed leader of the nWo C-squad.

dude was a legit commentator too

one of the DVDVR crew (i think SLL maybe?) made the interesting point that in almost any other promotion at any other time, Stevie would've been the one from Harlem Heat to get the big singles push; he was bigger and a much better talker than Booker, so i can definitely see that. the theory is that Booker got pushed because of Bischoff being such a mark for martial arts.

the theory is that Booker got pushed because of Bischoff being such a mark for martial arts.

...come to think of it, Nitro-era WCW did indeed push a LOT of guys who did a lot of karate kicks. Not so much on top, where the preference was mostly "steroid users over 40 years old and over six feet tall", but in the undercard you have everyone from Booker to Jerry Flynn to Ultimo Dragon to Ernest Miller to Glacier and a million other guys who all did a million kicks.

one of the DVDVR crew (i think SLL maybe?) made the interesting point that in almost any other promotion at any other time, Stevie would've been the one from Harlem Heat to get the big singles push; he was bigger and a much better talker than Booker, so i can definitely see that. the theory is that Booker got pushed because of Bischoff being such a mark for martial arts.

Don't know if I agree with this.

Even in the GWF, it was Booker who got the big singles push in the end by becoming the North American Champion.

Also, in WCW, Booker was the first to get a singles run, not Stevie Ray. I'm talking Booker's TV Title run, etc. - long before his World Title push.

I don't think Bischoff's fetish for martial arts really played much of a role, when Booker was always the one who broke out as a singles, no matter where he was. I don't think anyone ever considered Booker a "martial artist" anyway - this is the first time I've ever seen that description of him.

the GWF thing is a very good point, but Booker getting the TV title is exactly what was referred to here.

re: martial arts, people likely just mean that part of his moveset. he was really heavy on kicks that at least SEEMED like they could belong to that category.

• 4 weeks later...

Going through Jerome's epic WCW thread brought this question to mind: Was The Wall/Sgt. A.W.O.L/Malice/Gigantes ever better than "flat-out terrible"? I'm honestly asking. I haven't seen much of him, but everything I have seen seems to me like bottom-20-contender level. Again and again in this thread, though, people keep bringing up legit examples of where almost everyone - even George Gulas - has some redeeming value. Curious if anyone wants to go to bat for the late Jerry Tuite.

Going through Jerome's epic WCW thread brought this question to mind: Was The Wall/Sgt. A.W.O.L/Malice/Gigantes ever better than "flat-out terrible"? I'm honestly asking. I haven't seen much of him, but everything I have seen seems to me like bottom-20-contender level. Again and again in this thread, though, people keep bringing up legit examples of where almost everyone - even George Gulas - has some redeeming value. Curious if anyone wants to go to bat for the late Jerry Tuite.

As goc said, he had improved by the time he ended up in TNA as Malice. But as The Wall/AWOL, he was godawful indeed.

I liked him as Malice.

As goc said, he had improved by the time he ended up in TNA as Malice. But as The Wall/AWOL, he was godawful indeed.

Malice once had a surprisingly decent match with a knackered Vic Grimes on an XPW card, much to my shock

I'm glad to hear it. It's cool that he eventually got better. What this makes me think is that, in trying to find "The Worst Pro Wrestler Ever" we need to look not merely for wrestlers who lacked talent, but who also lacked the motivation or ability to develop whatever meager skills they might have had. An "I am what I am and that's all that I am" mindset seems to be key. That, or complete cluelessness when it comes to the art of pro wrestling.

In my opinion, that's where Ron "Mighty Zulu" Pope and Greg Gulas really outshine their competition.

Two years later, the answer is still Raja Lion.

Eh he doesn't really count as he wasn't a full time wrestler for a long period of time like some of the stinkier names dropped in here like Tiger Ali Singh and Jeff Gaylord. Did he even have any other matches besides the Baba match?

I gotta go Bugsy McGraw.

No visible talent and his mannerisms and gimmick werd just so awful. . . Seeing this guy almost mad me want to quit the Network!

As a kid, I loved me some Bugsy. Will always have a soft spot in my heart for him.

I can see his appeal for kids, but then again Teletubbies have that too. Which, thinking about it, is a pretty good comparison. :D

Did anyone mention Sgt. Al Tomko from Vancouver All-Star in the early 80's?

I can't think of another lead babyface/heel from the territories that seemed so woefully inept in either role, and it was his show so he was mostly the top guy. Just awful.

Did anyone mention Sgt. Al Tomko from Vancouver All-Star in the early 80's?

I can't think of another lead babyface/heel from the territories that seemed so woefully inept in either role, and it was his show so he was mostly the top guy. Just awful.

This is a good pick because the little I have seen of him has not been good. He was all over the show too, even when he wasn't wrestling he would pop in to do guest commentary and he wasn't good at that either. And pretty much every time another wrestler has talked about him in an interview it was negatively.