Pro Wrestling Only

Worst Professional Wrestler Ever?

Fantastic

I know, at the time, the conventional wisdom (if you want to call DEAN'S workrate reports conventional wisdom) was that Bagwell had gotten pretty good from his time over in NJPW and the injury in the Steiner match was actually a hit to the roster. I haven't rewatched that stuff in ages and stylistic opinions have changed since 97 but I do think he's fine as Scorpio's FIP in 1993 WCW.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brutus Beefcake.

I used to love watching Beefcake wrestle when I was a kid. Not so much keen on his run in WCW when he was a heel in the DOD but never found the guy boring. Suprised he never went higher up than he did.

I don't know how much higher he could have went in the WWF, to be honest. He often seemed to slot in as the face that if you beat, it meant you were a somebody...thes step before Hogan, Ulty, and the rest of the guys at the very top.

A run as a tag champ and partner of Hogan's with IC title chases added in and he did pretty well, all things considered.

I was never a fan of his but I didn't hate him. He was given a good spot and didn't fuck it up, which is good on him.

Brutus Beefcake.

I used to love watching Beefcake wrestle when I was a kid. Not so much keen on his run in WCW when he was a heel in the DOD but never found the guy boring. Suprised he never went higher up than he did.

I don't know how much higher he could have went in the WWF, to be honest. He often seemed to slot in as the face that if you beat, it meant you were a somebody...thes step before Hogan, Ulty, and the rest of the guys at the very top.

A run as a tag champ and partner of Hogan's with IC title chases added in and he did pretty well, all things considered.

I was never a fan of his but I didn't hate him. He was given a good spot and didn't fuck it up, which is good on him.

When I saw him wrestle on TV I dont think I ever saw him get pinned at all. Id probably say 88 ish to 90 is the time I would remember him as didnt get WWF in the mid 80s so never knew anything about Dream Team or being managed by Johnny V but if he lost it seemed to be a double Countout or a double DQ. Beefcake seemed to well on televised matches & PPVs. I think he may have lost the odd match at the garden that the NY area saw but was he due to have a IC title run at Summerslam by being Perfect?

It seemed that way considering Kerry won the belt at this show and Beefcake had already beaten Perfect at mania. As a kid seemed a cheap way that Curt didnt get a haircut and read the stories about it was mainly jobbers who only agreed to do it apart from Jimmy hart or Lanny Poffo.

Defining “worst”: I think someone who truly sucks but still is/was pushed hard or had a long career of note is “worse” than someone who was hopeless but never went anywhere or was soon forgotten. This is why Kane is in the running for my all-time least favorite, and even I wouldn't say he’s the worst. Undertaker/Show vs. X-Pac/Kane from Summerslam ’99 is a very good match, and the Bryan/Kane team had some good moments.

Brutus Beefcake is a good example of a total scrub getting a dozen pushes, but I think the Dream Team keeps him out of “worst ever” territory.

Picking a Diva seems unfair: they're models who are trained to work, and half of them end up exceeding expectations.

Historically, George Gulas is a good example in that he has the legend of killing a territory singlehandedly (or rather, with his father’s push). But that territory was killed off by Nick Gulas having such a bad rep and making so many bad business decisions, George just being the most notorious.

I really haven't seen much Singh. What I have seen is awful, but from a gimmick and atmosphere perspective, I have a hard time calling a guy who lived such an amazing life (and printed his own legend) the worst ever. I know booking and status shouldn't necessarily equate to technical prowess here, but Singh was a bigger star than everyone in this thread not named Big Daddy, and even then I have no idea who was the bigger draw/moneymaker.

• 1 month later...

Brutus Beefcake is a good example of a total scrub getting a dozen pushes, but I think the Dream Team keeps him out of “worst ever” territory.

Picking a Diva seems unfair: they're models who are trained to work, and half of them end up exceeding expectations.

Beefcake had some fantastic matches against Randy Savage & Mr. Perfect.

Picking a Diva id probably say Carmella or someone around 2004 era. They had quite a few heck id go with Kelly Kelly.

Worst wrestler id probably pick Hassan. He didnt have one redeeming quality to be and he was a bit overpushed to uppercard too quickly just because of how WWE played this storyline.

If we are speaking out of the ring for worst attitude id probably say going on fan comments Batista. In the UK he was supposed to do a signing in Woolworths or HMV turned up late and then walked out after 30 mins as he couldnt be bothered. No idea of the year must must have been around the time he was World Champion.

• 1 month later...

Late 90s Roddy Piper is the worst wrestler ever. No one could sink any segment he was in whether it be a promo or a match quicker than the blackhole of suck that was late 90s Roddy Piper. Now that's a Reality Check, muthafucka.

At 11 years old in 1996 I just could not believe how big of a deal WCW was making of him coming in to wrestle Hogan. I mean they got a huge buyrate so it obviously worked but MAN did that just seal the "WCW = Wheel Chair Wrestling" thing to me when you are doing heel beat downs based around attacking the babyface's replacement hip.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been watching some 93 WWF and these Men on a Mission matches are really bad. Mabel/Viscera went on to do some good stuff but Mo isn't great, in the slightest. I'm not going to say he's the worst ever but he really sucks. At least, in this viewing period.

• 5 months later...

Jimmy Garvin. I thought for the longest time that his Freebird stint in WCW was just him being older and lazy. But hell, he stunk about as much in the 80's, whenever he showed up. I haven't seen the Rougeaus vs the Garvins and that's the only thing that could save him from getting thrown to the woodpile. The best of his Texas work basically revolves about his valets, with the whole Sunshine/Precious feud. Fucking awful on offense, resthold galore, not particulary good bumper either. Not a great look, not overly charismatic either. Really, what the hell was that guy about ?

Did you see any of his AWA matches against Martel, or his promos around those bouts?

He isn't a favourite of mine but I would never have him on a list of "the worst" based on what I've seen of him. His AWA stuff I thought was pretty good and he was a credible opponent for Martel. If you haven't seen him in the AWA check out some of that work and see what you think.