Pro Wrestling Only

Worst Professional Wrestler Ever?

Fantastic

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handsome Jimmy Valiant was a high spot brawler . He cut a great promo , put people in seats and made wrestling fun for the fans. Could not be on anyone worst of all time list . The people in the Memphis territory loved Handsome.

If you what to be the worst of all time, you got to have the complete package . Very few talents are worthy of this honor. First you have to have zero wrestling ability . Then you must be box office poison . Gulas mets the qualications . Plus he buried the Gulas promotion . Nick had to take a job in the Davidson County jail . He also help created opening for both Jerry Jarrett and Ron Fuller to become millionaires . Jerry and Ron basically split the old Nick Gulas/ Roy Welch territory .

My top ten would start as : 1. George Gulas . 2. Steve McMichael.

Don't know would the next 8 would be , yet.

Big Daddy is by far the worst wrestler I have ever seen. He had no positive qualities at all in terms of what he could do in ring. Absolutely the worst.

It's a weird dichotomy as I'd have him in the WON HoF regardless of actual working ability.

Same here - an absolute lock for HoF in my opinion but also an absolute lock for worst wrestler ever!

I dont know if Jimmy Valiant i the worst wrestler ever, that might be going to far, but he's easily one of the bottom ten "legitimate" long term wrestlers i'd ever want to watch. Total go away heat for me. His character was the absolute shits, and he was shitty in the ring. Valiant stinks.

As for Sandman, he's a tricky one. I think he's about a million times better than Valiant, if for no other reason that Heyman brilliantly positioned him as a white trash South Philly everyman, which was THE perfect gimmick for the guy, so he came off much more credible than Jimmy Valiant's...well, I don't know...crazy homeless guy you pass on the way to work every morning? Valiant had very little credibility as a physical threat, especially as he got older and places like JCP kept booking him for some unknown reason. Sandman was the guy in the bar who would fight anyone (and lose half the time), but you knew he was dangerous if for no other reason that he didn't care about his own well being and would fight you until he couldn't stand. Valiant struck me as a skanky old biker whose breath was probably the most dangerous thing about him. Maybe I need to see him when he was younger, but I never took him seriously in Memphis or JCP, and he was always the kind of guy that I would roll my eyes at and wait for his segment to end. Sandman, even though when push comes to shove was a shitty wrestler, was always entertaining. Even in his brief WWE run.

In all fairness to Jimmy Valiant , the Boggie Woogie Man and Handsome Jimmy were different people . Handsome Jimmy was in a body builder , he was a great shape . Handsome Jimmy cut a great promo , could brawl with the best of them and forge an unbreakable bond with the fans. During his Memphis run Jimmy was lean annd cut up . weight around 225.

Then Jimmy went to JCP and became the Boogie Woogie Man . He stopped working out , gained at leats 80 to 100 pounds and became a comedy act. Handsome Jimmy was gone forever.

After JCP , he came back to Memphis as the Boogie Woogie Man. The fans were like, what the hell is this crap ? What happen to Handsome ? A real shame.

In all fairness to Jimmy Valiant , the Boggie Woogie Man and Handsome Jimmy were different people . Handsome Jimmy was in a body builder , he was a great shape . Handsome Jimmy cut a great promo , could brawl with the best of them and forge an unbreakable bond with the fans. During his Memphis run Jimmy was lean annd cut up . weight around 225.

Then Jimmy went to JCP and became the Boogie Woogie Man . He stopped working out , gained at leats 80 to 100 pounds and became a comedy act. Handsome Jimmy was gone forever.

After JCP , he came back to Memphis as the Boogie Woogie Man. The fans were like, what the hell is this crap ? What happen to Handsome ? A real shame.

Right, and to be fair, i've seen very little pre-Boogie Woogie Man Valiant from his younger days.

IMO, people like Sandman, Nailz, Valiant, etc. should be disqualified from this list because they had decent characters and/or charisma...they had something (and one could argue more than just one something for a few of these). Being a good all-around pro wrestler means more than just being good in the ring. I'd personally disqualify Steve McMichael too because I thought he played his character well, even if his ring work was shit.

I'll zero in on Nailz because he's likely the most controversial of the names I listed. His character was intense...scary as hell. He played it well. Could one argue that he fell into a hot angle? Sure, but he delivered, at least in terms of mic work and presence. His attack on Boss Man was brutal as hell, and he looked like every bit the escaped convict badass he was supposed to portray. Look at how much less effective Crush was when cast in a similar role a few years later. (Obviously Crush was miles ahead of Nailz in every other way.)

But then the problem inherently becomes, if you aren't at least passable in the ring, and don't have a gimmick that connects, then you don't last very long. So what we end up having to choose from, are dudes who stink who ended up having a career because they connected with a character.

I disagree on Christopher and Disco. I always found Disco to be decent in the ring, moments of good and sometimes awfulness, but for the most part decent. Christopher, assuming you are talking about Jerry's son, had periods where he was great and I generally found him to be pretty good.

So you agree on Bagwell ?

Oh yeah, never saw much value in the guy in any capacity. Pretty terrible in the ring, and annoying as all get out in terms of gimmick.