Pro Wrestling Only

Worst Professional Wrestler Ever?

Fantastic

There's no way either Brian Christopher or Disco are in contention for the worst wrestler ever. No way. Brian was good, just overpushed and overpushed as an annoying character. Disco got a lot out of a throwaway gimmick and was fine as the 1990's Honky Tonk Man.

Not sure if I posted this before or not but Conor O'Brian of NXT has to be in contention. He's been in developmental for 10 years and still can't have an interesting match.

Also, from the one match I've seen of him, Kelly Kiniski was awful.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about The Renegade?

The Renegade is a solid pick. As clueless as WCW management was. Even they realized he was terrible and killed his push, and when you think of all the mistakes that company made, That's saying something.

Erik Watts is terrible. Bagwell was at least a part of a few decent matches. Watts never was.

The best thing Erik Watts was involved with is the match at SuperBrawl 3 against the Blondes where he is booed out of the building.

fair point grimmas, but i've always tended to view this as meaning "the worst relevant wrestler", i.e. someone who worked in a promotion of note

otherwise we could find 100 backyard wrestlers on youtube right now who are worse than anyone in this thread, yes

anyway, isis the amazon struck me as the female equivalent to giant gonzalez or khali from what little i've seen of her...

Yeah, it was stated that the wrestler had to have a run somewhere. So no indy guys with three matches under their belt.

And yeah, I think a lot of people are just listing guys they don't like or guys that aren't good but not "worst ever" bad. I'm not even sure I would name guys like Gigante. His role was to be a tree and he did that. He was by no means fun to watch, but I feel niche roles like that shouldn't count towards this. Same with Fat Guys. I'm not going to list a fatty because he doesn't chain wrestle. I will list a fat guy if he can't bump properly, can't punch, can't hit the ropes properly, etc.

Worst ever has to be somebody who doesn't even understand the basics of wrestling. Somebody who can't sell, can't punch, looks lost all the time, can't read a crowd, can't properly execute basic maneuvers.

And yeah, I think a lot of people are just listing guys they don't like or guys that aren't good but not "worst ever" bad. I'm not even sure I would name guys like Gigante. His role was to be a tree and he did that. He was by no means fun to watch, but I feel niche roles like that shouldn't count towards this. Same with Fat Guys. I'm not going to list a fatty because he doesn't chain wrestle. I will list a fat guy if he can't bump properly, can't punch, can't hit the ropes properly, etc.

I agree with this. The tall and/or fat guys aren't "designed" or "booked" to know 100 different suplexes. Generally (if pushed), they are designed to be dominant, never leaving their feet, using basic moves to get their way. I've tried to stray away from those types in my "nominations".

Yeah, it was stated that the wrestler had to have a run somewhere. So no indy guys with three matches under their belt.

Worst ever has to be somebody who doesn't even understand the basics of wrestling. Somebody who can't sell, can't punch, looks lost all the time, can't read a crowd, can't properly execute basic maneuvers.

Hey, the fat guy I mentioned was even worse than that. He couldn't get in the ring by himself. He was actually a decent bloke by all accounts, who got treated like shit by the boys in the business and eventually got out of it, lost the weight, got married and started some new endeavour. But as a wrestler he was so bad that his only television bout wasn't televised and he was subsequently ignored by the promoter after spending all his money on a new leotard. Poor blighter.

Just because the worst actually wrestler is someone that none of you have probably seen. The worst indie wrestler is probably doing indie shots in Texas or Portugal or something.

The worst wrestler I ever saw enough of (i.e. more than one or two matches like Rajah Lion or Megaman McGee) to really think he stunk was a local indy guy who rarely if ever left his home promotion, aside from tokenistic shots on other local group's cards. He certainly didn't leave the area very often, but was around for years and rubbed me the wrong way by basically being a strawb in vets clothing. One of those guys Raven alludes in some shoot interviews where he explains the difference between "years in the business" to "number of matches", and this guy was a total "years in the business" sort when it came to his perceived place in the locker room hierarchy.

My thing I usually point to is seeing him work a comedy match with Colt Cabana that was absolutely rotten as everyone sat there in stony-faced silence, then seeing Colt do the exact same match, spot-for-spot, with Jonny Storm, and rolling about laughing despite knowing what was coming. It always stuck out to me about the difference between a competent worker and a lousy one.

I do feel to some extent it's not cool to bash the clueless weekend warrior types who don't make it anywhere based on their own ineptitude, but at the same time, they were still performing to paying customers, so if you want to name the guys in Texas and Portugal, fair enough. Probably more fun to name mainstream guys most of us know though.

• 2 weeks later...

And yeah, I think a lot of people are just listing guys they don't like or guys that aren't good but not "worst ever" bad.

That's a problem listening to certain podcasts, not any of the PTBN or PWO affiliated ones, but ones where the hosts not only during the show have so many shots at certain wrestlers they can't comprehend how they've gotten as far as they had that its drinking game worthy, but also get egged on in feedback Twitter comments to continue to bash said performers.

And one of them is LEX LUGER. Who may have been a hump in the ring, and bad at promos, but he must have had something besides well placed friends to be a multiple time NWA and WCW champion (also the US and Tag), be an Horsemen Associate, and be considered "the next Hogan" in 1993. Yet every episode (a show that reviews a year in WWF/WCW during the Monday Night Wars era) there is copious amounts of "Luger is the worst ever" quips.

I think that also is the problem with something that is taste driven like wrestling (same with music). And if you point to stats like wins/losses and belts, you'd get "Dude, you know its scripted right?" thrown at you. So there isn't really too much to quantify in a real tangible way why a wrestler truly does suck as compared to someone you like that is underrated.

• 4 weeks later...

And yeah, I think a lot of people are just listing guys they don't like or guys that aren't good but not "worst ever" bad.

That's a problem listening to certain podcasts, not any of the PTBN or PWO affiliated ones, but ones where the hosts not only during the show have so many shots at certain wrestlers they can't comprehend how they've gotten as far as they had that its drinking game worthy, but also get egged on in feedback Twitter comments to continue to bash said performers.

And one of them is LEX LUGER. Who may have been a hump in the ring, and bad at promos, but he must have had something besides well placed friends to be a multiple time NWA and WCW champion (also the US and Tag), be an Horsemen Associate, and be considered "the next Hogan" in 1993. Yet every episode (a show that reviews a year in WWF/WCW during the Monday Night Wars era) there is copious amounts of "Luger is the worst ever" quips.

I think that also is the problem with something that is taste driven like wrestling (same with music). And if you point to stats like wins/losses and belts, you'd get "Dude, you know its scripted right?" thrown at you. So there isn't really too much to quantify in a real tangible way why a wrestler truly does suck as compared to someone you like that is underrated.

I think at least one of the presenters of that show listen to WTBBP, I wonder if Chad and I have a rep with them as "those two guys who love Lex Luger".

For 2015, we might re-brand as "The only podcast that regularly gives praise to Ron Garvin and Lex Luger".

LEX LUGER ... bad at promos

I can't agree with this. Was he Flair? No. But his "defining moment" promo after beating Hogan for the WCW World Title was fantastic, and he was always at least "solid" otherwise (sort of like Bret Hart was 80% of the time, with the other 20% being quite good).

Lex's promos during the "you sold out" Tatanka feud, for example, were always convincing.

Was he ever all that fiery or passionate? No. But he delivered the message he needed to deliver, and he did it realistically.

I won't call Lex a "great" promo, but I do think he's an underrated one.

I have not read this topic in a while . It seems like some people don't understand why I don;t not like Brian Christopher. They cannot understand I think Brian is a bad wrestler .

Well I am not objective about Brian Christopher because I net him once. I found him to be a very rude and unpleasant young man . Unlike his father who is always polite to fans .

Brian is over 40 years old. He continues to milk that lame ass Too Cool gimmick for every nickel he can squeeze out of it.

Brian is not interested in wrestling. He wants to entertainment the fans. His ideal of entertainment is pandering to the crowd for 20 minutes during the match. The guys throws s a few punchs . runs the ropes and hits a leg drop of the top rope . He goes over , Then he dances . Then dances again . Still more dancing. Brian makes Jimmy Valiant look like Billy Robinson.

I have never seen any attempt from this guy to wrestle . No collar/elbow lockups, no hammerlock , no side headlock , no cross ankle pick ups , no suplexs , no spinning toe holds. no fiqure fours , no chin locks , no armbars , no chain wrestling , no uppercuts , well you get the picture . Brian is a sports entertainer , not a wrestler. If you like singing and dancing he is your guy.

All the Memphis greaters worked the Memphis style. However Lawler and Dundee could get into the ring with Bockwinle and Briscoe and have a great matches. Brians sings , dances , laughs and entertain the fans. I grew up and Memphis and all of my buddies are wrestling fans. No I know thinks Brian Christopher is a good wrestler. He is a guy that got pushed by his dad. If his dad wasn't the King he would have never been in the business. This guy is not a good worker.

Not a fan. Just my opinion .

I think at least one of the presenters of that show listen to WTBBP, I wonder if Chad and I have a rep with them as "those two guys who love Lex Luger".

For 2015, we might re-brand as "The only podcast that regularly gives praise to Ron Garvin and Lex Luger".

Funny enough, as you guys are just getting to the start of Marcus Bagwell's run on WTBBP, they've pretty much have Bagwell pegged as being one of the worst ever as they are going through his American Males/Buff/nWo era. Be interesting to see at what point Bagwell stops progressing and just relies on his hated mimbo gimmick going forward.