Pro Wrestling Only

The booking of Daniel Bryan going forward

shoe

The problem is that Vince was so stupid that he didn't want to go with Bryan after what happened last year and had to cave again. Everybody knew Bryan was the right choice in the beginning.

exactly. I don't think the business or the fans have changed all that much. I think it's just this stupid company (namely Vince) that in the last few years lost sight of the fact that pro wrestling at its core is all about giving people what they want.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point it's a mistake to put Bryan in the main event. What they should do is turn Reigns and Brock respectively, and move Bryan over to Rusev, with Rusev beating Cena clean and decisively at Fast Lane. Of course than the problem becomes what to do with Cena, but of all the parties in question he's the one that least needs a hot feud or opponent.

I know quite a few people who's first live wrestling show will be Wrestlemania and no doubt that John Cena is the person they all want to see. The women, specifically, only really know the wrestlers from Total Divas and view John as THE superstar. I think a lot people who buy a ticket or purchase the show, hardcores notwithstanding, will want to see him in a big time match.

Don't mistake my point. I'm not arguing that Cena isn't the top guy.I'm arguing that he needs a top program far less than Bryan, Brock, Rusev, or Rollins need it. Cena is the guy - any match he is in will matter

So, two years in a row the company rejects Bryan and the crowd tells them what they want and he is added in a three-way at Mania. How fucking stupid is this compnay?

A shade smarter than the people that keep giving them money.

Too bad it's a lot less money then they have got in the past. Don't try to delude yourself into thinking this company is doing good things, because they are profitable.

They have a great business model and a loyal fanbase. The loyal fanbase just happens to be a lot lower than the fanbase they have had in the past.

I never said they are doing great things. I don't give a shit what they do. I have no interest in Mania and this convoluted mess doesn't add any for me.

yeah, zoo enthusiast's point has been more about the people who still subscribe to the network and go to shows even as they complain about the booking.

in fairness though, that's not exactly different from sports fandom. if anything i'd say negativity is even more at the core of that world - chuck klosterman (yeah i know) once made the argument that one of the main reasons people become sports fans is so they can have something in their lives to bitch about. as someone who lived in the cleveland area for almost his whole life, i can definitely relate to that!

shit, my NFL team is run by a racist who thinks he knows football and singlehandedly forced them to draft johnny manziel, while ripping off customers from his other business to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. yet i'd probably still be going to the games if i lived there, because there's an element of community and bonding with family/friends that outweighs the countless failures. i'd still complain about those failures, though!

well, i guess you could argue that sports provide non-economic pressure to put out a quality product and entertainment doesn't...

We all know how this is going down, especially if Brock does indeed re-sign with WWE (which people seem to think he will).

Reigns pins Bryan to win the title. Brock goes on a rampage, destroys both men, but Bryan in particular (setting the scene for a singles match along the line) recieves the brunt of his wrath for losing "Brock's title". Rollins probably cashes in, although he could cash in the next night on Raw as part of an angle where Heyman turns his back on Lesnar and aligns himself with Rollins after Reigns gets taken out by The Authority or Lesnar.

In that scenario, Rollins REALLY needs to cash in that night. That'd save the crowd.

It's the best time to do the Mania cash in. We've known since the very first MITB (the original Mania matches) where they advertised the concept of "the winner of the match will receive a contract that is valid for one year/following Wrestlemania" that a Mania cash in was inevitable and would only be a matter of time.

Rollins is in the midst of becoming the top heel of the company, destroying the "big feel good mania moment" and taking it for himself along with the title is the ultimate heel act that would firmly drive him into the aforementioned top heel position. Like his mentor Triple H, before him did at Wrestlemania 2000.

They need to drop Money In The Bank, or at least insert a clause where the champion gets 24hr notice. It really devalues the belt and championship matches when they can just lose the strap anytime, it is like the fucking Hardcore Title. Such a cheap way of shocking the crowd and getting excitement/tension.

It worked when Edge cashed in because nobody expected it. Every since it has been overdone and overdone, unbelievably for over ten years now.

Cashing in at Wrestlemania would be a huge mistake as well. Daniel Bryan already had his huge confetti moment/coronation ruined by Randy Orton cashing in the briefcase, no need to go over old ground again and again.

It would also be a mistake to have Roman Reigns' first reign last only a few minutes. He needs a long run if he is going to get established and not slip down into Sheamus territory.

I agree that MITB has become more of a cheap heat device for heels. But I don't think they should get rid of it or modify the concept to include a 24hr notice. Really, I think more faces need to win the briefcase and cash in honorably, but to their advantage, such as cashing in for a a match in front of a hometown crowd or modifying the rules to include the stipulation that if the MITB holder gives notice to the champion, that the MITB holder then gets to choose the stipulation of the match.

That gives new possibilities: Dean Ambrose might choose a No DQ match or a Street Fight, Bad News Barrett could choose to have some kind of gimmick match at the next UK event w, Daniel Bryan could choose a Submission match, etc ,etc.

I also said a while back that it would be cool to add the stipulation that should the WWE title ever become vacant during a time where a wrestler is in possession of the MITB, then that wrestler has a right to cash in and claim the vacant title for themself.

Brock re-signing is definitely not set in stone. WWE can't hand out another contract like they did to Brock and I can imagine Dana will be ready with a pretty large sum for a minimal amount of fights. Precedent has already been set and I can't see Brock going backwards unless UFC shortchanges him, which they might very well still do.

That was a weird crowd last night and it wasn't exactly a positive for Bryan, because his whole argument of the title shot is based on the fact that the crowd is partisan almost to a fault with him. I do have the feeling that since he was asked who he'd like to work with before being put in this spot in the first place that they'll give him the opportunity to work Ziggler if they feel like he's not gonna be in the main event.

That being said, I can't believe that they're not doing the money match between Brock and Bryan in the first place. It's about as big a non-Cena/non-Taker/non-Triple H matchup they have right now.

It would also be a mistake to have Roman Reigns' first reign last only a few minutes. He needs a long run if he is going to get established and not slip down into Sheamus territory.

I think this actually helps Reigns more than it hurts him. This idea of needing to have an awesome first title reign isn't completely necessary. Hell, Bryan getting shafted turned into one of the best moments in recent wrestling history for a lot of fans. Actually giving Reigns an opportunity to get back something that he feels was stolen from him gives his character way more depth than we've seen since he went solo. Him chasing Rollins all summer would be pretty great leading up to SummerSlam.

I wish this company would go back to giving guys meaningful first title reigns. I think it's a big reason why there's such a lack of stars now.

This. Now they have established Brock Lesnar as a dominant title holder with longevity it makes zero sense to go back to cheap cash ins and switching the strap around every couple of months. They have enough 'former world champions' on the roster, most of whom are lost in the midcard or getting jobbed out every week. Time to make it mean something.

You can point to the CM Punk reign but they had another world title at the time so could use their ADD booking on that.

The Daniel Bryan example is a moot point as well. Sure, it led to an amazing moment, but only because the crowd went absolutely mental for weeks and forced WWE to do something. The initial follow up to the coronation cash in was a lackluster, repetitive, soul destroying feud and him getting shafted down the card for a meaningless Wrestlemania match with Sheamus.

Actually giving Reigns an opportunity to get back something that he feels was stolen from him gives his character way more depth than we've seen since he went solo.

You could achieve just as much with a long chase. The title win at Wrestlemania next year is far more impactful if he loses a couple of title matches first, whether by fair means or foul.

Him chasing Rollins all summer would be awful. Endless handicap matches, repetitive booking, the utter tedium and lack of creativity of another Authority storyline.

So, on SD!

Bryan and Reigns are booked on a tag team turmoil match that lasted over45 minutes (most of the roster is flying to Abu Dhabi).They faced 5 teams (DB had for 4 eliminations, Roman 1) and apparently Show knocked Kane out before tapping out to the YES lock.

The guy that made the report said the crowd was more pro-Bryan than Reigns and also made it seems like Big Show turned, but my guess is he got it wrong and that he accidentally KO'd Kane.

Ohh, Slater Gator was one of the tag teams in the main event.

Nah, Rollins wouldn't cash it in for a straight match like that. He's built this character that's built his reputation on being opportunistic. He'll pick his spot.

I still think that if they know Roman's gonna get booed and they still go with him vs. Brock for the main that they could tease a face turn with Rollins at WM and have him cash in after the fact. He could be the #1 face in the company with something like that, and that's with Bryan getting cheered for like he is.

Would WWE realistically do a cash in at Wrestlemania?

There's not much to gain from making it a Triple Threat, fans will still bitch online because "it's obvious Reigns is winning anyway" and TV crowds will still give Roman mixed reactions (depending on where they are taping the show) regardless of Bryan being involved in the title match or not.

How about, it's been noted that main eventing Wrestlemania has been established as an accomplishment in and of itself so just putting Danie Bryan in there is giving a deserving guy a just due. He's the biggest star in the company, he at least deserves to be in the match. (Though I'd love it if he won.)

Nah, Rollins wouldn't cash it in for a straight match like that. He's built this character that's built his reputation on being opportunistic. He'll pick his spot.

I still think that if they know Roman's gonna get booed and they still go with him vs. Brock for the main that they could tease a face turn with Rollins at WM and have him cash in after the fact. He could be the #1 face in the company with something like that, and that's with Bryan getting cheered for like he is.

Would WWE realistically do a cash in at Wrestlemania?

Why not? WWE likes to pride itself on the motto that "anything can happen in this business". Anything that can happen, however unlikely, usually does:

- We thought they'd never end The Streak, Vince decided it was time last year.

- Ultimate Warrior and WWE hated each other, Warrior swore he'd never do business with them again. Last year he made amends with Vince and accepted invatation into the HOF.

- Bruno Sammartino had similar feelings...

- Bret Hart was screwed by WWE, publicly blamed them for the death of his brother and said he'd never step foot in a WWE ring again. By 2006, he'd made up with Vince McMahon, and accepted a place in the HOF. Come January 2010, he's standing in a WWE ring and buried the hatchet with Shawn Michaels. Hell, at present Bret is an ambassador for the company!

- Nobody thought anybody, least of all Daniel Bryan, was beating Cena for the title in 2013 without some booking fuckery. He went over at Summerslam 2013, 1-2-3 clean, in the middle of the ring.

- A female (Chyna) won a top (relatively speaking) male singles titles on three separate occasions, and drew.

- Vince McMahon, despite never having been a wrestler and with limited performance skills, became arguably the greatest heel in the history of WWE, upon deciding that he wanted to be an on screen performer.

- Nobody thought ECW would ever exist again, WWE revived it with initial success in 2006.

so at the imvestor's conference call today Vince called the cancel the network trend a "vocal minority" and that it actually helped business. Also those fans didn't get "a visit from Santa Claus" at the Rumble. Again unless this is the new kayfabe it's clear on why they don't push Bryan

Can he retire already?

Shawn Michaels was in Jericho's podcast and he revealed that the original plan for Hell In Cell 2013 was him super kicking Bryan and nothing else. Shawn said that he told the office he would do it if Bryan could get some heat back at RAW the next night. The response was something along the lines of "Oh, ok. We thought you may not be available for Monday" :lol: