Pro Wrestling Only

The booking of Daniel Bryan going forward

shoe

Depressing indeed.

I came into comment on Meltzer ' s article. The entire analysis of Reigns and Bryan is one of the best things he has written.

Kris' s mentality that you need to lower Bryan is still stupid. When you get the biggest response of the night, you don't put that guy in a meaningless mid card program

I agree it's stupid it's just that he himself needs something different right now to get away from how he has been handled since he came back. They fucked it up royally just that simple.

As much of an awesome visual seeing DB, Cena and Reigns/Brock as your title holders at the RAW post-Mania, I don't have any faith WWE would do anything significant with it.

If Cena becomes champ he'll either lose it quickly via someone cheating him out of the belt. Or he wouldn't even defend it much to the point of making the belt seems like a secondary thing to his feuds. You know, like what they did with Ambrose when he was with The Shield.

If D-Bry wins I doubt he'll be more protected than any other IC champ in the last decade. He's gonna do way more jobs as IC champ than in the last 2-3 years and people will complain about it.

*Edited to remove the copy/paste of the WON write-up - Passages are okay, but let's try to avoid full articles. Thanks! - Loss, 2/26*

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the story going around is that Reigns is going to be programmed with Big Show once he wins the title is so depressing....just like Bryan got saddled with Kane last year....

As a great man said on Twitter recently: "Vince McMahon always wins in the end remember that." No surprise then that Roman's originally scheduled Fastlane match has only been postponed for a couple of months.

We're not talking about Bryan here but, since Reigns' first defense is against a Corporate Bodyguard gimmick, why wasn't Titus O'Neill put in that position when he turned heel? Big guy, tons of charisma, would have benefited a lot working Raw/House Show tags with good workers. I think Big Show is great but that guy should not still be in a position where he's working main events opposite your champ but that's the position the booking has put them in.

Bryan would have petered out last year due to the booking. I 100% believe that, with all the "running away afraid from Kane" stuff. He was already starting to get mixed reactions someplaces. He would have transitioned from Kane to a 4 way or something and then they would have had him mostly cooled off by summer and Brock would have won at Summerslam and he wouldn't have been nearly so hot after that.

The Big Show would at least make some sense if Reigns had a big power move that would be an impressive visual on a guy Show's size. No matter how many times Cena has faced Show the AA always looks incredible. That's about the extent of Show's usefulness in a top program in 2015.

I always thought their long term plan was to have Rusev go over Cena so he can be the next big bad for Roman Reigns after slaying Brock Lesnar.

That's the obvious Summerslam program for me but, as people have said, Rollins only has that briefcase until June. I'd bet my money that they have no idea where they're going with the top of the card past "Reigns vs. Big Show in April"

i don't disagree but I think it shows a level of tactical thinking that he wasn't bringing to the table before. It also, frankly, plays into what you say he has to do. It's been obvious that for the last year or two that Smackdown is less micromanaged. Last year around this time, they were running a mini Dolph Ziggler vs Batista program, for instance, that would have never flied on Raw. That hasn't changed much. If he needs to be rebuilt, then Smackdown is a place to do that.

More important to me, it may play into Vince's narrative, but it also shows him aware of what the company needs and looking for holes and heading towards them. That's a really good way to find success in the corporate world. Maybe it won't make him into Hulk Hogan but I still think it's both smart and different than what he was doing in 2013.

Vince doesn't want him on top. I wish he got a chance to succeed or fail in that role but it doesn't look likely. He'll likely always have a meaningful role in the company with the opportunity to put on great matches and headline from time to time to put others over. That'll be fun and I'll probably enjoy whatever he does because he's good at doing pro wrestling things and makes the show fun.

What I really don't get, today, is forcing a Mania main event that really doesn't feel all that hot. Say what you will about the shows through the years but they generally headline with a wrestler or match that is super hot and has been building in interest for a while. Between Reigns's injury last year, booking, his performance on the mic and in the ring, whatever other factors you want to point to, absolutely nothing about Brock vs. Roman feels Wrestlemania-like other than the fact Brock is involved. It could just as well be another PPV. Long-term we may be able to look back and say whether it paid off, and with the new financial model perhaps its a risk they can take without too much downside. I wish I could somehow frame it differently, but the mark in me keeps coming back to the fact this just doesn't feel like Wrestlemania.

Maybe Bryan honestly doesn't care about being "The Man." Perhaps we're wasting a lot of anxiety on a guy who's perfectly happy with his career. Fans of all sports seem to assume every guy with the ability to be the alpha should want that and only that. But great athletes aren't all the same. They have varied definitions of success, as we all do.

May as well get my complaint in now. I can't believe WWE are going with Baron Corbin to headline WrestleMania 36 even though Sami Zayn is obviously more over.

I'll go the other direction:

At WrestleMania XV, it will be Road Dogg, Goldust, Ken Shamrock, Val Venis, and Stone Cold Steve Austin in an Intercontinental Title 5-Way!

Bryan aside, it's going to be quite a sight to behold when Roman's coronation as THE MAN involves matches with guys who won't be able to work around his shortcomings. You'd think WWE would want to keep him programmed with top level workers as long as possible.

Maybe Bryan honestly doesn't care about being "The Man." Perhaps we're wasting a lot of anxiety on a guy who's perfectly happy with his career. Fans of all sports seem to assume every guy with the ability to be the alpha should want that and only that. But great athletes aren't all the same. They have varied definitions of success, as we all do.

Honestly, I don't care what DB wants. I don't care if he is a millionaire. The reason we get wrapped up in this is because we want to see someone pushed to the limits of their talent / appeal. I am not a Dolph Ziggler guy but the way he has been treated has been atrocious. The volume on his push is lower because he isn't as over as DB but it is no less appalling. Just like bad booking ruined 1987-88 Crockett for me as a kid and bad booking ruined 1998-99 WCW for me as a college student. Bad booking is killing my interest in modern WWE.

I am curious if the opinion of Bryan on "Team Triple H" for lack of a better term that same as Vince and Kevin Dunn's team. I mean for a guy that thinks they can build a brand with guys like Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, and maybe Samoa Joe; I would Daniel Bryan would fit into Triple H mindset.

Not saying that I want Daniel Bryan working for NXT like they did with Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel. He isn't that far down in the pecking order