Pro Wrestling Only

The booking of Daniel Bryan going forward

shoe

Dave pretty much hits it on the head with Bryan's current position

But the biggest story on Fast Lane was the end of the Bryan story as the guy the fans willed to be the top guy and face of the company. It was a fight for a long time fans thought they could win, and they clearly lost, and more importantly, based on post-Fast Lane, they weren’t even that mad anymore. It was just acceptance.

Don’t get me wrong. He is going to be a star within the television show for maybe as long as his body holds up, and at minimum for several more years. He’s a great wrestler and he’ll be counted on to be part of big matches. He’ll get over the heels they are promoting to whomever their real headliner is. He’ll have great technical matches when called on to face talented wrestlers. He’ll give good promos. People will like him. They’ll still chant “Yes” all the time, not with the fervor they once did, but it’ll always be the new “Hiyo.” When he’s 50, he can still be used for easy heat for a new heel, he can come out, get his nostalgia chant, and lose just like Jim Duggan did. Well, except probably a whole lot more effectively.

He’s Chris Benoit after Randy Orton beat him, the guy everyone likes and respects, that everyone will want to work programs with, and whose job will be to put over the next generation of MVPs, Drew McIntyre’s, Alberto Del Rio’s and Roman Reigns, except preferably with a happy ending.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave pretty much hits it on the head with Bryan's current position

But the biggest story on Fast Lane was the end of the Bryan story as the guy the fans willed to be the top guy and face of the company. It was a fight for a long time fans thought they could win, and they clearly lost, and more importantly, based on post-Fast Lane, they weren’t even that mad anymore. It was just acceptance.

Don’t get me wrong. He is going to be a star within the television show for maybe as long as his body holds up, and at minimum for several more years. He’s a great wrestler and he’ll be counted on to be part of big matches. He’ll get over the heels they are promoting to whomever their real headliner is. He’ll have great technical matches when called on to face talented wrestlers. He’ll give good promos. People will like him. They’ll still chant “Yes” all the time, not with the fervor they once did, but it’ll always be the new “Hiyo.” When he’s 50, he can still be used for easy heat for a new heel, he can come out, get his nostalgia chant, and lose just like Jim Duggan did. Well, except probably a whole lot more effectively.

He’s Chris Benoit after Randy Orton beat him, the guy everyone likes and respects, that everyone will want to work programs with, and whose job will be to put over the next generation of MVPs, Drew McIntyre’s, Alberto Del Rio’s and Roman Reigns, except preferably with a happy ending.

holy shit that is sad. Damn you Meltz!

The shitty part about the Daniel Bryan-Chris Benoit comparison is there is more demand for Bryan on top and he is a far more relatable person/character.

DMJs on the money too.

exactly. the comparisons are completely unfair. Bryan actually connects with people, and not just wrestling fans. To this day I am still completely fucking bewildered by the fact that they had one of their top stars interacting with both the World Series winners and the Super Bowl winners, including his catch phrase spilling over into mainstream sports events and rather than go all in and fan that flame they fucking smothered it.

I think the problem is that Vince genuinely has no idea how to relate to Bryan or his fans. This groundswell response for Bryan probably totally baffles Vince. He has always struck me as a guy that if he can't connect with a gimmick or worker then it just won't work in WWE even if there's a shitload of money being left on the table. It's funny because in the Austin podcast he bragged about how he's this lower middle-class everyman who understands what the people want, but he's completely incapable of looking at things through any perspective but his own.

One of the things that isn't mentioned much is how much of this has to do with Vince's bewildering belief that if someone gets hurt and refuses to work injured they've betrayed him and the company. Of course, even if Bryan hadn't gotten hurt they were well on their way to killing his heat.

I feel like WWE and Vince McMahon have been spoiled by John Cena. The dude is not human. How many professional wrestlers in professional wrestling history have been as much of a work horse as John Cena has for WWE? The man returned from a torn pectoral muscle in like three months and that was after working non-stop for who knows how long on top. Not to mention everything he does outside of the ring. He never stops. I hope his Terminator-like abilities are not the new barometer for what is expected of a top guy now. That is insane.

Of course Daniel Bryan can not live up to that. Neither can Roman Reigns or anyone else. I really hope a lot of Vince McMahon's recent perspectives have not been influenced by the Jason Voorhees-esque John Cena or his Wolverine mutant healing abilities. Working through being hurt is one thing. Sin Cara calling off a match over a finger is pretty lame. Working through a debilitating injury is another entirely. Especially with all the wear and tear from all the travel and everything else that these men and women put their bodies through. Vince expecting the abnormal from these people is just ridiculous in the first place but now seeing what John Cena has been capable of for so long, I hope he has not raised his expectations even more.

I came into comment on Meltzer ' s article. The entire analysis of Reigns and Bryan is one of the best things he has written.

Kris' s mentality that you need to lower Bryan is still stupid. When you get the biggest response of the night, you don't put that guy in a meaningless mid card program

I agree it's stupid it's just that he himself needs something different right now to get away from how he has been handled since he came back. They fucked it up royally just that simple.

I made the Benoit comparison myself a couple of weeks ago here: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/9702-the-confirmed-stories-of-triple-h-being-a-total-douchebag-thread/page-13&do=findComment&comment=5653090

It's not a perfect comparison, as Bryan is more charismatic than Benoit and has the Yes chants, but I doubt Vince's analysis goes beyond his gut instincts of the guy. I'm sure they still view Bryan as a bit of a geek, whereas Roman Reigns is a cool mofo that men want to be and women want to shag.

The best career arc Bryan can hope for at this stage is that he becomes WWE's go to guy (like Bret Hart in the mid 1990's) when the act they try to replace him with on top fails in that position.

It's a shit deal. Back when Batista vs Randy Orton was the planned Mania match, there was so much rebellion from fans, people were even talking about leaving the show if that match went in last. There were similar talks this year about Reigns vs Brock. Daniel Bryan dominated segments he wasn't even involved in because he was so over with the fans.

But that rebellion doesn't even really exist anymore, everyone's just numb. Instead of the "vocal minority" chanting and taking over shows, people just don't react to anything now because they've been so burned out from this shit. They've done so many things to actively kill his heat. Go watch that piece they did on the network about him then look at him now, it's fucking mind boggling. It's amazing how much work they've done to actively kill their top babyface and in turn THE CROWDS.

I think fans are just tired and they gave up.

I feel like the best thing to do right is just let Brock keep the belt. Have him go over Reigns and have a dynasty run with the title. I know people say that it's a joke that Brock is allowed to defend 4 times a year, and I wouldn't really argue strongly against that, but at this stage there ae so many other problems with this company I feel it's the least of their concerns. With Bryan and Cena involved in secondary title feuds, it almost makes me think this is possible.

Have Brock beat Bryan at SummerSlam. Have Brock beat Rollins when he tries to cash in. Whoever wins Money in the Bank this year, make him scared to cash in after what Brock does to Rollins. And in the meantime, BUILD SOMEBODY. If you don't have somebody ready by next year's Mania, then Bryan can be the one who beats Brock. I think that scenario would help everybody involved.

These are of course all big if's with Brock's contract status.

Yeah, it depends if Brock Lesnar re-signs with WWE before bell time. If that happens, I'm sure they would at least consider Brock going over, as it would be a major swerve finish (like Punk beating Cena for the belt in Chicago at MitB 2011) and they would feel the need to keep him strong given the substantial investment it will take to re-sign him. Of course, they'd risk turning Roman Reigns into this generation's Lex Luger by doing that. That's why Roman should go over whatever happens, but don't rule out Vince losing faith at the last minute when he's facing a big meathead instead of a lovable goat-faced troll.

Roman Reigns is leaving Wrestlemania with the strap, there is no doubt about that. History tells us the face always wins the big title match. Lesnar is someone they don't trust ans can't rely on due to his limited dates, financial demands and name value elsewhere. He has the exact look they want, has a year of build as a major face, has been positioned as the new ace. It would take a major change of direction to not have him win.

I wouldn't rule out a heel turn down the line if his run bombs though, and they have a lot of ready made faces to challenge, as oppose to no interesting heels other than a Lesnar rematch or HHH coming out of retirement.

It's been said so many times but Bryan's biggest enemy is himself in some ways. He doesn't have the attitude that Punk has someone who was vocal about where he thought he should be which obviously impressed Vince because he handled Punk differently than anyone else who didn't fit Vince's ideal look. Bryan may not need to be as vocal as Punk but a middle ground from how he is now and to what Punk was would be helpful

Besides being a naturally laid back guy, I'd imagine Bryan's afraid of looking like a mark for himself. I'm sure he doesn't want to associate himself too closely with those guys throwing tantrums in arena parking lots, and that's who Vince wants to believe make up the majority of his fan base.

It's been said so many times but Bryan's biggest enemy is himself in some ways. He doesn't have the attitude that Punk has someone who was vocal about where he thought he should be which obviously impressed Vince because he handled Punk differently than anyone else who didn't fit Vince's ideal look. Bryan may not need to be as vocal as Punk but a middle ground from how he is now and to what Punk was would be helpful

Pretty much. It has always seemed as if Bryan's fans care way more about his role than Bryan.

I came into comment on Meltzer ' s article. The entire analysis of Reigns and Bryan is one of the best things he has written.

Kris' s mentality that you need to lower Bryan is still stupid. When you get the biggest response of the night, you don't put that guy in a meaningless mid card program

I agree it's stupid it's just that he himself needs something different right now to get away from how he has been handled since he came back. They fucked it up royally just that simple.

I can kind of see both sides of this. He's the most over face in the company. He should be in the main event mix. Though if he's just doing jobs maybe they should move him down the card and gets wins so he doesn't get killed off . Maybe win an IC title and help elevate it. Doubt the company cares about the IC title enough to try to elevate it.