Pro Wrestling Only

Who is your least favourite person associated with wrestling period?

JerryvonKramer

Kevin Dunn is probably my pick, too. He might be worse and have done as much damage to wrestilng as Russo.

My all-time least-favorite performer could very well be late-'90s "if you don't like me, bite me" Rick Steiner. Just a complete unprofessional jackass with not one redeeming quality.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestling was not a joke to me or alot of other people before McMahon took over the WWF. People in the South loved wrestling , it was part of our lives . . Nobody was dropping their pants on TV and having other adults kiss their ass. or committing their wife to an insane aslyum

Wresting was presented as a sport , not as The WWF/ E is the joke , not pro wrestling.

I feel where you're coming from--heck, I'm from the heart of Mid-South country--but wrestling has been a joke to non-fans since Gorgeous George, if not even earlier.

This one is easy it is Vince MaMahon. This clown has ruined wrestling. He destroyed the territories and turned wrestling into a joke.

Wrestling was a joke long before Vince was on the scene. I love the stuff, but realistically, that's true.

I'll nominate Michael Hayes. A good ol' boy racist who thinks he's not, and has probably damaged multiple careers thus.

Wrestling was not a joke to me or alot of other people before McMahon took over the WWF. People in the South loved wrestling , it was part of our lives . . Nobody was dropping their pants on TV and having other adults kiss their ass. or committing their wife to an insane aslyum

Wresting was presented as a sport , not as The WWF/ E is the joke , not pro wrestling.

Yes, who can forget the serious sporting events featuring Lawler fighting a Frankenstein.

No, It is who cannot forget :

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat

Nick Bockwinkle vs. Curt Henning

Terry Allen vs. Tully Blanchard

Buddy Rose vs. Roddy Piper

Condry/ Eaton vs. Morton/ Gibson

Dusty Rhodes vs. Kevin Sullivan

Von Erichs vs. Frebireds

Nick Bockwinkle vs. Jerry Lawler

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee

Terry Funk vs. Ric Flair.

Billy Robinson vs. verne Gagne

Rockers vs. Rose/ Sommers.

This one is easy it is Vince MaMahon. This clown has ruined wrestling. He destroyed the territories and turned wrestling into a joke.

Wrestling was a joke long before Vince was on the scene. I love the stuff, but realistically, that's true.

I'll nominate Michael Hayes. A good ol' boy racist who thinks he's not, and has probably damaged multiple careers thus.

Yes, who can forget the serious sporting events featuring Lawler fighting a Frankenstein.

Von Erichs vs. Frebireds

or Chief Jay Strongbow vs Bulldog Don Kent in a shark cage match.

Von Erichs vs. Frebireds

We could easily pick matches and feuds from last week, month, or year that demonstrate great, serious-feeling ring work and interviews. Likewise a bunch of goofy to outright dumb moments from now or the past. "That's not Junk Yard Dog, that's Stagger Lee!"

The point is wrestling has long been both athletic and dumb.

Von Erichs vs. Frebireds

or Ric Flair vs. Harley Race at StarrCade

I am just stating my opinion . I guess people can find example of wrestlecrap all day to try and needle. me I am asked the question the man gave an answer

Anyway, my pick would be Stephanie McMahon. Probably the worst case of nepotism in wrestling history. Her elevation to the position of head writer was directly correlated with a precipitous decline in the quality of the product, and she has single-handedly made Raw virtually unwatchable over the past year and a half.

But come on, she's a great promo. Hell, she's better than Paul Heyman. Just look at last week's RAW...

Wait. Wrong exemple.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to begrudge you your opinion. We're just coming from different perspectives on this. If I had actually seen the height of the territory days unfold I'd probably feel more deeply betrayed by Vince. But I am still pretty mad about WCW, ha.

So in that sense, I kind of hate the people behind the AOL Time merger, I guess. Ted probably would have kept going with TV if somebody else was paying for the actual promotion, IIRC. Yes, WCW was awful and I don't think I was actually watching then, but dammit...

I've had several pleasant interactions with Colt. I know a lot of workers who don't like him because he isn't the type to sit around in the back and bullshit like most bigger names that come around. He's not the fraternizing type, which is very different than most guys in the business. With him, as long as there's an opportunity for him to be out making money, that's his priority. I've never seen any bitterness from him. I've seen him be a dick to people who are hanging around him and potentially keeping him from interacting with people who might spend money, but that's about it. Once the fans are cleared out, or if you've got him in a one on one environment, he's a good guy. At least that's my experience from working with him at several shows.

Von Erichs vs. Frebireds

or Ric Flair vs. Harley Race at StarrCade (Sic)

I am just stating my opinion . I guess people can find example of wrestlecrap all day to try and needle. me I am asked the question the man gave an answer

Wrestling has always been a joke, especially in the South. You're just cherry picking matches to attempt to prove a point that's not really true. Memphis (which you are presumably a mark for) has had some of the goofiest gimmicks of all time.

And I also don't see the point in posting that woman's photo

or Ric Flair vs. Harley Race at StarrCade

It wasn't meant to be bashing, sorry if it came across like that. I enjoy just about all of the names you've listed. I was just pointing out that wrestling was never really meant to be taken that seriously, regardless of what some old timer tells you in a shoot interview. Did you ever watch any of the Chicago film archives? The commentary is very tongue-in-cheek and this was 50-60 years ago. I love serious technical matches but how can you not enjoy a fake Indian fighting some guy in a wooden cage, or any and every midget match when they do the spot where the guy pinning gets kicked out into the refs arms and then the ref tosses him back on and continues the count? This is why I love this stuff.

Von Erichs vs. Frebireds

or Ric Flair vs. Harley Race at StarrCade (Sic)

Wrestling has always been a joke, especially in the South. You're just cherry picking matches to attempt to prove a point that's not really true. Memphis (which you are presumably a mark for) has had some of the goofiest gimmicks of all time.

And I also don't see the point in posting that woman's photo

I did not post any photo of a woman . I am not a mark for the Memphis teritory . I am a lifelong wrestling fan. I call myself Memphis mark , because I was born in Memphis , TN. I still live in Memphis . Anything else?

The photo part was referring to JerryvonKramer.

No, nothing else, just that wrestling was a sport until Vince McMahon came in really isn't true. Hate Vince all you want, but let's not go crazy here.

I never said wrestling was a real sport. I said it was presented as a real sport to the fans. No need for insults

Another pick: Modern-day Ric Flair. I don't mean the wrestler or the proud dad of Charlotte - I mean the bitter asshole on pre-shows, roundtables, etc. who snaps at every little thing and acts like a total dismissive dick. Meanwhile, no one would dare disagree with or correct him, because "he's Ric Flair."

Kevin Dunn: What are the stories about him that make his douchiness unique to Vince’s? I’ve genuinely never heard anything about the dude except that him and Vince love all that Kid Rock-style dogshit music, and that he was the reason it was/is used so much by WWE, 15 years after it fell out of fashion. He has a terrible rep and is no doubt the cause of some problems, but I’ve never read anything specific about his approach.

Colt Cabana: I’m not trying to turn this into the DVDVR Sleaze thread, but is anyone able to elaborate on this idea of him treating people badly? Is it that he’s become a prima donna backstage, or that he’s just a shameless carny shilling t-shirts to his fans? What about him makes his “fun guy” persona so phony?

No, nothing else, just that wrestling was a sport until Vince McMahon came in really isn't true. Hate Vince all you want, but let's not go crazy here.

I never said wrestling was a real sport. I said it was presented as a real sport to the fans. No need for insults

I'm not insulting you. I'm disagreeing with you.

Colt Cabana: I’m not trying to turn this into the DVDVR Sleaze thread, but is anyone able to elaborate on this idea of him treating people badly? Is it that he’s become a prima donna backstage, or that he’s just a shameless carny shilling t-shirts to his fans? What about him makes his “fun guy” persona so phony?

Agreed. I've had plenty of interaction with Cabana and he's been nothing but the nicest friendliest guy.

Ever? I'm not sure. I would have to think about it more. Currently? Easily Michael Cole.

Admittedly, Alice is terrible. So terrible, in fact, that I stopped listening to the Jim Cornette podcasts completely. That being said, although she is terrible, Jim talking about politics & religion was equally bad. On a grand scheme though, she's just a co-host on a podcast that I no longer listen to. That doesn't affect my pro-wrestling fix at all, really.

I'm not insulting you. I'm disagreeing with you.

You called him crazy.

Also, you're missing the mark here. He's speaking about presentation. How wrestlers presented as mixture of heroes and villians within their sport.

Even tho the audience knew the distinction between pro wrestling as sport. And the layers of seriousness within pro wrestling.

As an aside.. Jarret's Memphis, much like the WWF(E), has always taken heavy knocks for it's cartoonish presentation.