Pro Wrestling Only

Who is your least favourite person associated with wrestling period?

JerryvonKramer

Colt Cabana: I’m not trying to turn this into the DVDVR Sleaze thread, but is anyone able to elaborate on this idea of him treating people badly? Is it that he’s become a prima donna backstage, or that he’s just a shameless carny shilling t-shirts to his fans? What about him makes his “fun guy” persona so phony?

Agreed. I've had plenty of interaction with Cabana and he's been nothing but the nicest friendliest guy.

To be clear: I'm not trying to defend Cabana here. I'm a casual listener to his show, which I enjoy if he has a good guest. I'm agnostic on Colt as a personality: dude clearly has a lot of Marc Maron in him, for better and worse. But here I'm really just curious to hear some clarification on what's so duplicitous about the way he portrays himself vs. who he is when outside the spotlight.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only extended in-person experience I have had with anyone related to wresting was Virgil. It was a comic con when I was in high school. His autograph table was next to a girl from Smallville. She had hundreds of people in line and he had no one. I felt bad, so I dragged my friend who had no idea who Virgil was over to his table ("The guy who always held Hogan's NWO belt.") He hustled me into paying $20 for a signed 8x10 while telling me to stay in school and join the wrestling team so I could become a wrestling superstar someday. Then he signed my friend's convention program for free. Fuck that guy.

Cabana had done or said fucked up or sketchy shit to fans, refs, promoters and wrestlers I know. Some of the negatives I have heard about him fit the "always looking to work his hustle" gimmick that Hollinger mentioned before, and I can't really fault him for that in isolation. But when it is combined with him telling people I know to quit what they are doing because they suck at it (coming from a guy so shitty he couldn't have a good match with indie tour era Finlay that is rich), not voting for the RnR Express for the WON HOF because he was an obnoxious know-it-all when he was in the developmental system (big shock that he didn't last there), screaming at refs because of his mistakes and failings as a mediocre talent, and screwing with promoters in a variety of ways I can't go into..well...fuck him. It probably wouldn't offend me as much if it wasn't for the phony "aw shucks, I'm such a swell dude" act, but that irks me in and of itself, and all the shit I've heard/know that conflicts with that just screams "this guy is a phony." Which is also my big criticism of Nigel and others I could mention in this thread

This topic was really hard for me think of, but, as I read some "dirt" about her on reddit recently (not sure of the accuracy), I'm going to say Sunny.

In interviews, she comes off as incredibly full of herself and, while there was a time I thought she was great and hot and all that, when you read the gossip about her relationship with Chris Candido, it is hard not to feel bad for him and not to really lose respect for her as anything more than a tramp.

Of course, her sexuality doesn't really make me hate her - I mean, it has no effect on my enjoyment of the show - but, yeah, she just seems like somebody that I would have no desire to meet and someone who, if the stories are true, seems like a pretty cold skank.

First name that pops into my head has to be Jeff Jarrett.

A guy who probably never should have made it past his blinking sunglasses, motel 6 theme music midcard status goes on to become a Horseman, and a World Heavyweight Champion multiple times (helping drive the nail into the coffin of that company) then goes on to start his own company (that needs to go in the coffin) and stays on top of it for something like 27 years, then finally disappears for a couple years and comes back to start a new company that isn't even really a company as far as I can tell.

Add to that him introducing the word "Slapnuts" into wrestling culture, and being involved in the beginnings of the push of another one of my favorites the Road Dogg, and I can easily say that he is by far my least favorite person associated with the wrestling business.

Need further proof........ when Mike Fucking Graham can bury you with the greatest one liner of all time, you know you suck!

The photo part was referring to JerryvonKramer.

No, nothing else, just that wrestling was a sport until Vince McMahon came in really isn't true. Hate Vince all you want, but let's not go crazy here.

I never said wrestling was a real sport. I said it was presented as a real sport to the fans. No need for insults

I'm not insulting you. I'm disagreeing with you.

You called him crazy.

Also, you're missing the mark here. He's speaking about presentation. How wrestlers presented as mixture of heroes and villians within their sport.

Even tho the audience knew the distinction between pro wrestling as sport. And the layers of seriousness within pro wrestling.

As an aside.. Jarret's Memphis, much like the WWF(E), has always taken heavy knocks for it's cartoonish presentation.

What about the Frankenstiens Monster in LA or the wrestling bear in multiple territories? None of that could be considered a serious sport in presentation, and they all took place without any involvement from Vince Mcmahon,

Jack Pfefer was exposing wrestling as a massive con and making a ton of money from it long before Vince was even born.

Everyone in wrestling seems to idolize the Undertaker, and he probably is a pretty decent guy to be around. But he's deified to the point that it's a turn-off for me. Is there anyone in wrestling that considers him a marginal talent or someone who had a stupid gimmick? I don't necessarily believe that, but if only for some sense of balance. Even the elite talents have their critics. But not him.

Probably Shawn Michaels. I hated him first because he was a heel and I was a child, so it was natural. Then as a teen when I was watching wrestling again, I didn't care for his matches, his segments, the DX reunion, and all that mid-2000s crap. Plus finding out everything that happened with his tantrums and the Montreal saga didn't help. Now I can't stand when he comes back and is treated above his station, both in terms of importance to wrestling history and as a wrestling talent.

I don't care for Alice Radley either, but that was a pretty random opening salvo to a thread like this, lol

Cornette is annoying as shit on podcasts and the two of them together is completely unlistenable to me. I can tolerate Cornette with the right guest and right topics but he's a major turnoff to me these days. I appreciate his knowledge as a historian and respect him for the years in the business and the positive contributions he made, doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy listening to him ranting and raving about the state of the business and Vince Russo and politics and god knows what

I've gotta go with Vince Russo as well. I can't think of anyone in or around the wrestling business who annoys me as much as him.

Wade Keller and Bruce Mitchell annoy me quite a bit as far as 'rasslin journalists' go, but objectively they aren't all that bad. When Keller is on Jim Ross' podcast reviewing a PPV he's perfectly fine and raises a lot of intelligent points. A lot of his torch talks are great. Then there's a lot of times where I just find him absolutely ridiculous and can't listen to him

Oh, I thought of one that rivals Russo.......Mark Madden. One of the reasons I quit watching WCW, aside from Russo, was Mark Madden on commentary. What an insufferable tool

Kevin Dunn: What are the stories about him that make his douchiness unique to Vince’s? I’ve genuinely never heard anything about the dude except that him and Vince love all that Kid Rock-style dogshit music, and that he was the reason it was/is used so much by WWE, 15 years after it fell out of fashion. He has a terrible rep and is no doubt the cause of some problems, but I’ve never read anything specific about his approach.

Colt Cabana: I’m not trying to turn this into the DVDVR Sleaze thread, but is anyone able to elaborate on this idea of him treating people badly? Is it that he’s become a prima donna backstage, or that he’s just a shameless carny shilling t-shirts to his fans? What about him makes his “fun guy” persona so phony?

For as many people who badmouth Dunn there are people who like and defend him. Rock, Austin and Jericho all speak highly of him

This topic was really hard for me think of, but, as I read some "dirt" about her on reddit recently (not sure of the accuracy), I'm going to say Sunny.

In interviews, she comes off as incredibly full of herself and, while there was a time I thought she was great and hot and all that, when you read the gossip about her relationship with Chris Candido, it is hard not to feel bad for him and not to really lose respect for her as anything more than a tramp.

Of course, her sexuality doesn't really make me hate her - I mean, it has no effect on my enjoyment of the show - but, yeah, she just seems like somebody that I would have no desire to meet and someone who, if the stories are true, seems like a pretty cold skank.

The Tammy and Chris relationship was different........but never something that personally bothered me or made me judge either of them

wrestling is a weird business....and open relationships are fairly common. there is loads of evidence that the two of them loved each other.....just look how long they were together.....and rather than Tammy being a "cold skank".......Candido is the one who got her into the business.....knew what she was up to "behind his back" and encouraged it at times. As long as she came back to him he didn't seem to care about her blowing and fucking dudes to score pills and coke for him and her

Now obviously a lot of this is rumours and innuendo, and there were probably times where Candido would feel emasculated and get pissed off about it....but their relationship lasted in the crazy world of pro-wrestling for a long time and only ended because he died. With the open relationship and the drugs and the craziness of wrestling they still managed to stick together for a long time

From the outside looking in was it a weird, unhealthy relationship? Maybe, but I can think of far more unhealthy relationships in wrestling

Also, Hogan, for perpetuating the idea that in-ring talent and speaking skills have less to do with stardom potential than size, and for lying about absolutely everything all the time, even when there is no reason to do so.

I completely agree with this but doesn't Vince have to take at least half blame? Or even most of it? I mean we are still dealing with this shit today

. Is there anyone in wrestling that considers him a marginal talent or someone who had a stupid gimmick?

Herb Kunze? :)

I don't care for Alice Radley either, but that was a pretty random opening salvo to a thread like this, lol

Cornette is annoying as shit on podcasts and the two of them together is completely unlistenable to me. I can tolerate Cornette with the right guest and right topics but he's a major turnoff to me these days. I appreciate his knowledge as a historian and respect him for the years in the business and the positive contributions he made, doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy listening to him ranting and raving about the state of the business and Vince Russo and politics and god knows what

I've gotta go with Vince Russo as well. I can't think of anyone in or around the wrestling business who annoys me as much as him.

Wade Keller and Bruce Mitchell annoy me quite a bit as far as 'rasslin journalists' go, but objectively they aren't all that bad. When Keller is on Jim Ross' podcast reviewing a PPV he's perfectly fine and raises a lot of intelligent points. A lot of his torch talks are great. Then there's a lot of times where I just find him absolutely ridiculous and can't listen to him

Oh, I thought of one that rivals Russo.......Mark Madden. One of the reasons I quit watching WCW, aside from Russo, was Mark Madden on commentary. What an insufferable tool

I go hot and cold on Keller and Mitchell lately. They reach to complain and theorise about things that aren't there sometimes, and go on and on about the same tired points weekly.

But when they have something relevant, intelligent and interesting to say, they're 50 times more articulate than Meltzer.

This one is easy it is Vince MaMahon. This clown has ruined wrestling. He destroyed the territories and turned wrestling into a joke.

He gave us Black Saturday , bought Don Owens TV out of under him . turned the wresters into comic book characters , hired Kevin Dunn , hired comedy and soap writers to book wrestling , threats the talent like trash , the Owen Hart tragedy and could go on for days listing his sins.. He is the father of sports entertainment that fact alone makes him the winner..

Honestly, we have to stop this narrative that "Vince destroyed the territories." He did no such thing. It was greedy promoters who would short change wrestlers and Pocket that $$$ for themselves. Vince provided them an opportunity to make good money and many took him up. It was a business decision that benefited both.

Do I wish we could go back to the territories? Of course. I sat ringside each week at the Louisville Gardens until they closed up in 1997 and loved it. I still get together with my friends that would go and we always get around to talking about Tuesday night at the Gardens.

But we need to quit this "Vince destroyed the territories " nonsense.

If I had my pick it's Dixie Carter. I'm a firm believer in competition in a capitalistic world. TNA was the last chance for the WWE to have some semblance of competition and they just destroyed it.

Kevin Dunn: What are the stories about him that make his douchiness unique to Vince’s? I’ve genuinely never heard anything about the dude except that him and Vince love all that Kid Rock-style dogshit music, and that he was the reason it was/is used so much by WWE, 15 years after it fell out of fashion. He has a terrible rep and is no doubt the cause of some problems, but I’ve never read anything specific about his approach.

For as many people who badmouth Dunn there are people who like and defend him. Rock, Austin and Jericho all speak highly of him

Dunn literally makes wrestling unwatchable with stuff like the shaky cam during beatdowns, they even have it in the WWE2K15 game now. He also uses his position in TV production to create unrealistic body expectations in both men and women which have led many of both genders to do dangerous things to meet his standards. He has ridiculous hangups that cause people to have their careers sabotaged over dumb shit. He's the legit #2 person in power since he seems to have some Rasputin level power over VInce that even HHH and Steph can't get past. Having someone like that with so much power is the most damaging thing in wrestling IMO.