Pro Wrestling Only

Your Wrestling Pet Perfections/ Utter Love

Johnny Sorrow

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is based solely on one match so far but right now Kamala wrestling in Mexico is perfection. Watching him do un-Kamala like things like disingenuous handshakes, mocking his opponent, and actually understanding tag rules has been REALLY fun.

Atlantis/Rayo de Jalisco Jr./El Dandy v. El Satanico/Emilio Charles Jr./Gigante Kamala

https://youtu.be/xn_EWKIw1pU

This is based solely on one match so far but right now Kamala wrestling in Mexico is perfection. Watching him do un-Kamala like things like disingenuous handshakes, mocking his opponent, and actually understanding tag rules has been REALLY fun.

Atlantis/Rayo de Jalisco Jr./El Dandy v. El Satanico/Emilio Charles Jr./Gigante Kamala

https://youtu.be/xn_EWKIw1pU

Oh man, thanks for sharing this with the rest of the class. It's almost like Kamala was working more of a "foreign heel dickhead" gimmick as opposed to an "African savage" gimmick. All of the above, along with trading off boxing stances with El Dandy and splashing dudes after they had already been pinned by his teammates, I definitely want to see more of THIS Kamala. Especially if any footage exists of him interacting with "Black Magic" Norman Smiley after seeing Smiley's promo at the beginning of this clip!

EDIT: Okay, found this match also. If you've ever wanted to see Kamala mockingly hold the ropes open for his opponent to enter from the outside and do what can be best described as a "Home Alone" sell (you'll know it when you see it), go to https://youtu.be/JKhzaU2iHOE now! Great ending spot too!

Man these two Kamala in Mexico matches make me think Kamala is a much better worker than anyone's ever given him credit for. I don't know how much he had worked Mexico before those matches in 1991 but he seemed to fit in perfectly in the trios format and I've seen enough non-Mexican wrestlers get dropped into it and have no idea what to do that it's impressive.

The massive dog pile to pin Kamala was a lot of fun. That spot where Black Magic jumped over Pierroth and then german suplexed the shit out of him was pretty nice too. The crowd couldn't have been happier to see Gran Davis get splashed.

ROH shows from the Gabe era when they used the smoke machine. The smoke would fill the ring during the introductions and it added an extra layer of intensity. Absolutely love it.

In grad school I'd also fill the apartment with a smoke machine before putting on my Japan dvd comps. The then-gf/now-wife always knew what was going on before she came over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I second the comment about Stan Hansen messing people up with that knee drop. What a wonderful thing.

Dragon Gate makes a big deal out of playing the Japanese national anthem right before their Open the Dream Gate Championship (their top championship) matches. It's something that as I went through the Countdown to Kobe series (which you can read by clicking the link in my sig) I really grew fond of. Dragon Gate certainly isn't the most intense promotion but this adds a really special layer of intensity to those big matches. The camera work there is excellent, also.

Watching non-wrestling fans get enveloped in wrestling randomly (at a bar or something).

Watching wrestling with people who mark out like kids, hate heels, and love faces.

Wierd, random matches i didn't know existed.

The moment you mark out completely at a live show and think to yourself "I just saw the greatest thing in wrestling and no one knows"

The 1991 Royal Rumble intro vid . As a kid the video store had about 3 wrestling tapes and I would rotate through them with the rumble being my favorite. The intro vid had Vince running down the list of competitors set to cheesy music. cant count how many times I watch this. I can still hear Vince's enthusiasm while saying Saba Siiiiimba !!!

PG-13 stooge heeling or berating the crowd. "Hey girl, I have a joke that will knock your titties off but it looks like you already heard it". Classic.

1996 ECW. That's when I discovered it and the first block of TV I received blew me away. The into vid was so awesome and never got old. Every time I hear la sexorcisto I flash back to my early ECW watching days. Sabu of the same era would count here too. That damn Terry Funk Desperado video ...

Razor Ramons mannerisms . To this day, every now and then if I walk into a bathroom and nobody is around i'll slip through the door with both arms out, stop , and flip an imaginary toothpick at the mirror.

Events in cool or unconventional environments. Evolve held an event in an alleyway blocked in by buildings with really cool looking street art/graffiti and was just completely different looking. Or IWA MS running at scummy roller rinks or in the back yard of a strip club just because they are scummy. Kongo Kong killing Heidi Lovelace in the parking lot of roller derby wouldn't have been the same if it were at a national guard armory .

Live wrestling and rewatching events you attended . Especially in the cases were something unexpectedly great happened. For me its Regals comeback performance at the Pillman memorial, the first Joe/Punk hour draw and Low Ki/Kenta.

Gary Michael Cappetta and Howard Finkel.

The Hollywood Blondes entrance . The music, camera rolling motion, the charisma .

Top five knee drops:

2. Ric Flair

I just now noticed this. I'm kind of surprised to see Flair ranked so high, as I have long considered his knee drop to be one of the worst in wrestling--it's probably my least favourite thing about Flair. If viewed from a particular angle, if can look quite devastating, but from most angles, it's obvious to me that he's completely missing his opponent's head. It takes me out of the match every time I see it. In contrast, Race and Hansen look like they're absolutely killing guys when the drop a knee.

However, since this is the pet perfections/utter love thread, I should be stating something positive. How about a beautifully performed double-underhook suplex (a.k.a. butterfly suplex)? Even if I don't love Flair's knee drop, I most certainly adore his double-underhook suplex!

Gary Michael Cappetta and Howard Finkel.

Man, Fink is just the best. I use the present tense because he still works for WWE, and was exiled for no apparent reason. Lillian is perfectly acceptable of course, but if you have Babe Ruth on your team, you don't bench him because there's someone younger and more attractive out there. Well, unless you're Vince, anyway.

• 1 month later...