Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

I was thinking about this and I feel like it may not be that the crowd at Full Sail is "300 nerds" and more that they get familiar with the characters because they get to go to shows more frequently and they trust the product more. What I mean to say is RAW, SD!, and PPVs are ran in different cities every week/month so the crowds really only get a chance to go to a WWE show 2 or 3 times a year. When the fan goes to their possible only live wrestling show that year and they see a new guy with a goofy gimmick they feel like they are being cheated out of a segment with one of the "stars they see on TV" and because they don't trust WWE to follow through with the character or are conditions not to think that anyone who is on a WWE show is a big deal they reject it. You see the only NXT guys that work on WWE are the ones that don't fall into the category of "goofy" gimmicks, I'd say the only one that seemed close enough to that so you could argue would be Bray Wyatt which if you remember, the unpleasantness of the "Husky Harris" chant during his, was also rejected and this was before the current wave of thought that says "WWE just won't book anyone from NXT strong" what made it work was WWE made it clear that they were committed to this character and that he was something to be taken seriously. Over time the crowds can buy into any gimmick or wrestler but it's an uphill battle when they have a gimmick seen as silly at face value combined with a company that has little good will from it's fans.

The NXT crowd expects the company to commit to every guy at least at some level. Once they see that the company is telling them "this is someone" they buy in whole hog because they know that isn't just thrown around. Add to the general good will and trust NXT has earned these crowds are there for cheap or free and they will be going to multiple shows over the course of the year so if every second of every show isn't jam packed with what they consider stars they aren't going to revolt because hey they will see the stars on the next taping or even in the next hour as they know they are going to be exposed to what will be multiple weeks of television.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not all about booking. Stuff like Emma the goofy girl who does a stupid arm dance and Adam Rose and the Rosebuds is something that appeals far more to an audience of 300 nerds in Full Sail than something that actually has legs on the main roster. It goes back to something people have been talking about for a while now about whether or not NXT is really doing a good job of getting people ready for the main roster.

If an NXT product succeeds, Hunter's a genius. If an NXT product fails, Vince ruins everything again.

If this issue is real, I have to imagine it was never really about Dunn vs Hunter. It is simply that Dunn understands what Vince believes in and whatever Triple H is doing to get his NXT talents over, it doesn't align with what Vince believes makes stars stars. Dunn wouldn't be able to bury all those people if Vince didn't actually agree with him from the get go when he first sees those talents. I don't necessarily buy that Vince sees Shane as a legitimate alternative to Stephanie and Hunter, especially if he has no intentions to step aside, but I can believe Vince has serious reservations about Hunter's judgment about who should be the stars of the WWE of tomorrow. I don't think Triple H is the godsend that other people think he is but I do think Vince at this point is more harmful to the development of WWE at this point than anything positive and he really should think about maybe stepping aside soon if not already.

That assumes Vince even watches NXT which I would seriously question. I know the idea is he is such a control freak that he manages everything from top to bottom but the fact is not too long ago either Triple H has said or Vince admitted himself that he hadn't even seen the Performance Center for himself which makes me think he doesn't really bother to attend anything to do with NXT unless its an important Takeover event right before a WWE event, MAYBE. I think Vince has really just allowed Triple H to take complete ownership of NXT either to show him what he can do as a showrunner and boss or just to keep him busy so he doesn't get too grubby about control over WWE shows and keeps him preoccupied so Vince can resume his position on top unchallenged.

Another problem with the NXT guys is that the NXT audience witnesses the growth of the characters and so grows more attached to them but when they're called up, the character is just directly transplanted to Raw with implied but unexplained backstory. For example, Bo Dallas was an over pushed babyface who the crowd turned on so he developed into the delusional faux-babyface who thought he was inspirational and didn't realise that everyone hated him. He NXT audience went on that journey with him but on Raw, he just started off as a version of that final character.

That could be a bigger problem in the future, namely with Bayley. The reason she's so over is because of her character development over the last few years but I highly doubt 'smart' fans will accept a reset of that character to redo the journey for the wider audience. So she'll just appear on Raw as the complete character and the regular audience will miss out on a big part of the essence of the character.

She shouldn't get called up. She's a draw in NXT. They should run with that as far as they can.

Yeah... I'm sure she wants to be with Charlotte, Sasha and Becky, but...

It's really sad the main roster is so bad at booking that some people would rather stay in developmental then be called up. Imagine someone wanting to stay in the AHL over the NHL. That's insanity.

I can't imagine for a minute that anyone wants to stay in NXT. As great a time as they may be having, its still the minor leagues regardless of the politics and other issues in the majors. That whole paycheck thing also comes into play.

People in NXT have said they would rather stay down, because of what happened to guys like Tyler Breeze.

I can't imagine for a minute that anyone wants to stay in NXT. As great a time as they may be having, its still the minor leagues regardless of the politics and other issues in the majors. That whole paycheck thing also comes into play.

People in NXT have said they would rather stay down, because of what happened to guys like Tyler Breeze.

Not buying it for a second. They want to earn a living like everyone else does.

So... they are lying then? Ok??

Like Matt said, Bayley would probably make more in merch working for NXT then when she goes on the main roster and that goes away.

Like Matt said, Bayley would probably make more in merch working for NXT then when she goes on the main roster and that goes away.

I'll believe the starving artist bit when they walk from the perpetually danging carrot that exists with employment at NXT. They may very well be happier working in NXT, but get back to me when one turns down a call up and pay raise.

I'll believe the starving artist bit when they walk from the perpetually danging carrot that exists with employment at NXT. They may very well be happier working in NXT, but get back to me when one turns down a call up and pay raise.

How would you know if someone turned it down or not?

I think Bayley makes a different amount of money than than too. There was some talk that they were restructuring certain contracts as it became more of a touring brand, no?

Entirely possible that she's making more than the latest signee, and hopefully so. Especially with merchandise money. I don't believe its been reported that anyone other than Balor & Nakamura were given deals commensurate with those on the main roster, but a couple names could be escaping me. If they're not on a psuedo-developmental deal then its potentially a very different decision.

Its cool, everyone in NXT is a virtuous purist who only cares about the art of wrestling. They're all going to seek out those opportunities that maximize their personal and professional satisfaction, except for what they earn. If that makes sense to you that's really great.

Where did I say all talent? I said there was a few who would rather stay down and have said that to sources and media. Obviously that is not everybody.

I think Bayley makes a different amount of money than than too. There was some talk that they were restructuring certain contracts as it became more of a touring brand, no?

They are actually paid less than TNA or RoH guys apparently. Going up to the main roster gets the bump in pay and that is still a carrot most of them are chasing. It is why Styles had not shown up in NXT because the pay wasn't where he was at as the king of indies. They had to give him the kinda contract that required him to be on the main roster to make money off.

I'm hesitant to think Bayley isn't an exception at this point. I don't have the WONs with me, but I think there was talk back in August or September of 2015 that some specific NXT contracts were getting restructured to be much higher, which is without the usual road expenses (or they're much rarer) plus the perks offered at the Performance Center.