Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how NXT still maintains that rule of jobbing on your way out of the territory. It's like the one old school wrasslin' thing Vince can't let go, because WWE has always stuck to this, even when a guy got drafted from Raw to SD in the last decade he'd still do a clean job to someone on the way out.

I can't decide who I'm looking forward to seeing killed next week more: Eva Marie or the Drifter.

So I'm heading to the NXT show tonight here in the Boston area. I was looking forward to a good old fashioned house show with a couple of decent matches and maybe some totally unknown faces from developmental. You know, nothing to get worked up over but a fun night of rasslin'. Then during the Joe-Crews match they mentioned specifically that Joe would be challenging Balor for the title at the show. My initial reaction was, "cool, that'll be fun to see live". Then I thought: "wait, they never mention specific matches for house shows on TV". You might get them on a localized ad during a commercial break, but never as part of the broadcast. Plus they did the "you never know what's gonna happen at a live event" bit they dust off every now and then. Which got me to thinking about all the Bullet Club related stuff happening on Raw right now and how it seems like they're positioning to have Balor debut soon and fued with Styles (possibly even costing him the title match next weekend), so of COURSE my brain went to, "hmmm.... I wonder if they'd do a title switch at a house show".

Which is when I came to the stark realization that after all these years I'm still a total mark at heart and they totally fished me in. God bless them.

Two tickets available for tomorrow night's NXT show in Kingston, RI. Had two people drop out because of work schedules so I'm selling them at cost. Seats are in the L section which is the first chunk of the lower balcony. Not sure who else here is in the MA/RI/CT area, but feel free to message me if you're interested.

Yeah, I'm still a mark... FOR SAMOA JOE!

Called it! Woohoo!

For reals, that show was a blast though. Quick rundown:

Mojo Rawley vs Riddick Moss. Mojo is fun live, but man he had to earn it tonight. Crowd was at best 50/50 for him at entrance. LOTS of boos. I wouldn't say he won them over, but by the end the boos had at least gone away. Moss looked decent. Has a good look, really cut. Seems to know how to work the crowd. Not sure about his movez yet, but a solid appearance.

Bayley/Carmella vs Dana Brooke/Peyton Royce. Dear Lord Bayley is just so ridiculously good. Her work just standing on the apron was phenomenal tonight. There were some sloppy points but they held it together pretty well. Lots of crowd pleasing antics from both sides, so you could forgive the occasional mis-timed spot. Carmella's come a long way. Still not ready for the main roster by any stretch, but she's improved greatly since her debut.

Tommaso Ciampa vs Chris Gerard. Sort of a local boy clash as they're both from the Boston area, although Tommaso was announced from Milwaukee. Match was what you'd expect from these two: lots of stiff shots and really intense matwork. Gerard grinds a chinlock like it's his life's work. Lots of "BIFF!" chants for him too. Nice to know he's recognized, but c'mon gang, accept the name change. It isn't going back anytime soon.

Austin Aries vs Manny Andrade. Andrade is the artist formerly known as La Sombra. This was my first time seeing him in any fashion. He's got some flashy offense which looks good, although they didn't hit all of it clean. He attacks at high speed though so the sloppiness is forgiveable to me. Guy seems to have loads of charisma too. Aries was his usual solid self. He really needs to turn heel though. Crowd was pretty into both guys. Good house show match.

Elias Samson vs Shinsuke Nakamura. Yeah, Nakamura was over HUGE. The match was a disappointment though. I wanted to see Nak squash The Drifter like a bug. So did the crowd. Lots of chants including a "KICK HIS HEAD OFF!" chant. They went pretty much 50/50 though and Samson's offense was 90% rest holds. He really needs to add something to his repetoire, because holding Nakamura in a keylock ain't gettin' it done. The kinshasa (sp?) looked like ass from my angle too. Nowhere close to hitting.

Post intermission we got three straight title matches.

American Alpha vs The Revival. Basically each team's greatest hits match with a couple of new well timed spots worked in. Wilder falling into the ring because he was leaning too far over the ropes and causing the ref to miss the AA hot tag was really well done. Good formula tag.

Asuka vs Alexa Bliss. Really enjoyed this one as Asuka is impressive live. Her speed really stood out here. Bliss more than held her own though. This was probably the longest I've ever seen her go and she had enough credible offense to keep it interesting. Some nice limb work early that Asuka sold throughout, which was awesome.

Samoa Joe vs Finn Balor. What can I say? I went in secretly hoping they'd pop a title change and they fucking did! The match was their usual affair with Joe adding in some heelish moves, including the eye rake along the ropes and a couple of back scratches (which he made sure to play up BIG). The injury angle was pretty convincing as Balor went for a double kick into the corner barrier off a running start (the irony of seeing Joe eat a variation of the Ole Kick was pretty fun) and from my angle it was an awkward collision. You could tell right away something was off, although the moment the ref threw the "X" up I started having my suspicions. Sure enough Balor rolled back in after being checked on by the trainer, hit a couple of double kicks on a still dazed Joe, then had his ankle buckle when he went up top for the Coup De Gras. Joe swooped in, hit the muscle buster, and I marked harder than the 8 year old next to me who was at his first wrestling show. Helluva moment to be there live for.

Show was a joy to sit through. The matches moved along at a nice pace, everybody worked hard and made sure to interact alot with the audience, and there was just a general vibe of "I'm really happy to be here!" from everybody in the crowd. Great night of live entertainment. Super glad I went. Felt nice to be a mark again.

Assuming they actually taped the match (which signs point to) I LOVE this move, because it helps make NXT house shows feel like a must attend event, as if they were not already. Strong play.

They had two digitial cameras taping all the matches, I assume for training purposes. They had a bigger live feed camera that they used for the entrances in order to project them on the Tron. I *think* they had it in use during the main event as well, although it wasn't projecting the match live on the Tron.

They gave it away to an extent by hyping up the shows this weekend on this week's TV, but yeah, Finn coming up to join the guys is the right call. Although now you don't really have someone worthy to drop the belt to outside of Nak, who doesn't need the belt and will never probably never need it, even though we all know that match is coming.

If I'm one of those people who finds the crowd to be my major impediment to NXT enjoyment, is a house show likely to be more pleasant than TV? Do you think the city matters? I'm thinking about going here in Oklahoma City. No idea exactly what our indy-type crowds are like--I didn't make it to ROH when they came.

If I'm one of those people who finds the crowd to be my major impediment to NXT enjoyment, is a house show likely to be more pleasant than TV? Do you think the city matters? I'm thinking about going here in Oklahoma City. No idea exactly what our indy-type crowds are like--I didn't make it to ROH when they came.

Do you mean them chanting "This is Awesome!" during the opening headlock of a match?

Boston crowds may be different than Oklahoma City ones, but my friend last night said that during one match there was a Roman Reigns sucks chant followed shortly thereafter by a "We Sold Out" chant.