Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

If I'm one of those people who finds the crowd to be my major impediment to NXT enjoyment, is a house show likely to be more pleasant than TV? Do you think the city matters? I'm thinking about going here in Oklahoma City. No idea exactly what our indy-type crowds are like--I didn't make it to ROH when they came.

Depends on what you don't like about the NXT crowds.

I'd say wrestling crowds in general today tend to force themselves upon the show a little too much for my liking. There were WAY too many attempts at chants last night. Even when they came up with a clever one (chanting "ARM-BAR!" along to the Angle theme while Gable had Dawson in an prolonged armbar was cute) they tend to ruin it right away (using the same chant later in the night when Joe had Balor in a wristlock, not an armbar). The percentage of chants that work to chants that are attempted is low. And they'll often start them up at times when the action is going good, which just distracts from the match. So yeah, if you absolutely HATE crowds that chant, I doubt you'll find too many live experiences that are to your liking.

If you can get past that though, the NXT workers interacted very well with the audience. They played to the crowd alot and it was just an overall good time. You gotta take the good with the bad.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm one of those people who finds the crowd to be my major impediment to NXT enjoyment, is a house show likely to be more pleasant than TV? Do you think the city matters? I'm thinking about going here in Oklahoma City. No idea exactly what our indy-type crowds are like--I didn't make it to ROH when they came.

Boston crowds may be different than Oklahoma City ones, but my friend last night said that during one match there was a Roman Reigns sucks chant followed shortly thereafter by a "We Sold Out" chant.

The Roman Reigns sucks chant came kind of out of nowhere, so yes, it was dumb.

The "We sold out" chant came on the heels of one of the ring announcer's "Thanks for selling out our first visit to Massachusetts!" between match bits, so it's really hard to hate on the crowd for that.

Depends on what you don't like about the NXT crowds.

I'd say wrestling crowds in general today tend to force themselves upon the show a little too much for my liking.

That's it in a nutshell--the sheer number of chants and "we are the show" moments that leave them ironically out of touch with the match going on. Some of the specific chants annoy me but that's not the real problem. My standard for a good NXT match now is whether they're able to turn the crowd from a bunch of inattentive, chant-filled jackoffs back into a good wrestling crowd that responds to the match. Thanks for the tips, I'll probably give it a whirl despite my misgivings. Depends on the card.

"Roman Reigns Sucks" sounds like a hard chant to rhythmically do. How does that cadence even work?

RO-man REIGNS-sucks, clap clap clap-clap-clap.

Okay, one more complaint about modern chants--95% of them use that SAMEdamnRHYthm.

It was actually just a "RO-MAN SUCKS!" chant, if I remember correctly. It's destined to become the new "CM PUNK!" chant for when pockets of the crowd grow restless from actually having to follow a match.

It really struck me watching the show today that Chad Gable is smaller than Enzo.

Thought the same thing. And Jordan ain't much bigger than him. I wonder if it's because they're both smaller than I think or if maybe Enzo was never that tiny to begin with and it's just being paired with a legit 7 footer that did it.

Solid house show in RI. Scott Dawson would be a star if he could talk and I'm really wondering where he was pre-NXT. You don't get that good from the WWE system alone. The Tag title match stole the show and Dawson, much like at Takeover Dallas, was the glue to hold it all together.

Alexa Bliss is even more stunning in real life. Carmella has a ton of charisma but meh mic skills, and she felt like the star of the Women's tag to me. Dana Brooke has gotten better but she's still not particularly good.

Manny Andrade was La Sombra, right? He's taken to the American style very well, if his match against the bastard clone of Randy Orton and Adam Rode known as Riddick Moss is any real indication. Match was eh, but Andrade is going to get over quickly.

Aries/Ciampa felt like they forgot what they were doing halfway through. Botching the finish and then redoing it not long after didn't help, but the best part of the match was the chain wrestling at the start and a few times that Ciampa was trying a comeback.

ME was a tag match of Nakamura/Balor vs. Joe/Drifter. Drifter trolling with bad folk music is great but he seems green as hell. Nakamura was hailed as a god. They teased Joe not wanting Nakamura a few times before they did it, but it was too one-sided for Nakamura to me. I wasn't hoping for a "let's trade elbows " segment but something where they start hammering into each other was the best way to go (both to build to the inevitable title match and pop the live crowd), and Nakamura winning the strikes via desperation kick would've been great. Instead we get Joe playing every heel after a hot tag ever, which feels cheap when he's both the recently crowned top champion and SAMOA JOE. Balor viewed as 21st century Sting has made me enjoy his work that much more.

All in all a damn good show, best live card in almost a year v

Well they originally brought him in just as a short-term deal while he still worked indies, but then saw how over he was and decided to sign him for realsies. Then when they signed him it was "just for NXT", but I would imagine with how good he's been and how over he is they'd be looking to move him up fairly soon.

Corey Graves repeatedly referring to jobbers as "jamokes" is my new favorite thing.

Same here, LOL.

But what was with the abysmal commentary in the main event, with both of the commentators being against Samson? Especially Graves with his JBL-levels of burying. Just brutally bad commentary and a complete distraction during the match. I usually love Phillips and Graves together, but not during the Swagsuke/Drifter match.

Corey Graves repeatedly referring to jobbers as "jamokes" is my new favorite thing.

Same here, LOL.

But what was with the abysmal commentary in the main event, with both of the commentators being against Samson? Especially Graves with his JBL-levels of burying. Just brutally bad commentary and a complete distraction during the match. I usually love Phillips and Graves together, but not during the Swagsuke/Drifter match.

In Graves' defense, he's not playing 100% heel. Instead he plays favorites (with heel leanings). He's been anti-Drifter from the start in large part because they're both billed from Pittsburgh and Graves is embarassed to be associated with such a ragtag dude, which feels right given Graves' character. He was probably a little overboard last night, but at least it was in the direction of staying consistent.

In Graves' defense, he's not playing 100% heel. Instead he plays favorites (with heel leanings). He's been anti-Drifter from the start in large part because they're both billed from Pittsburgh and Graves is embarassed to be associated with such a ragtag dude, which feels right given Graves' character. He was probably a little overboard last night, but at least it was in the direction of staying consistent.

Fair enough, but no one cares about Graves' character anymore - he's no longer a wrestler and it's not about him. I am all for consistency too, but the commentary was a complete distraction IMO and took away from the match.

As for the ragtag aspect (lol), Graves would get the door slammed in his face equally as hard as Drifter if either of them showed up to date someone's daughter. :P

I like some aspects of Graves' commentary: heel cheerleader for Eva Marie and his outspoken despair at Mojo Rawley are both strong points on his resume. I agree that having both commentators ganging up on the Drifter is counterproductive - I also think they've missed a trick by having Samson already lose a few matches. Taking this guy the fans despise and giving him a long winning streak would've made for fun viewing. Certainly he should have beaten Crews at Takeover, losing his first big match makes little sense.

The Revival are a delight to watch squash dudes as they can come off simultaneously playful, brutal and sadistic. I haven't seen a stomp into the one foot cover before which is a nice little surprise that Dash and Dawson seem to have stored in their back pockets. 3.0 was where they were supposed to be but didn't make as good of an impression as other developmental guys like say Tucker Knight.

BAM continues to be a highlight for me as they work so well as a midcard heel tandem. I would like to see them get elevated again into the title scene but its crowded up there and they've been putting everyone over for a while now. I'd like to see them get something to do in the undercard at least rather than just elevate the Hype Bros over and over. I think Mojo has shown some actual growth since teaming with Ryder as a manic pixie boy but he probably needs some development character wise. I think seeing him outside the ring would help him.

Speaking of which, the Carmella match was not exceptionally heated. This is probably due to no one really knowing Aliyah and this didn't really give us an insight into her character. Some of the pieces are there, but she needs to bring the character (whatever it is) out more. IT was good for a debut. Carmella... just needs to dial back on the wacky and ditch things that don't work (dropkicks, bronco busters) and work more to her strengths in terms of flexibility. I think her corner boot, superkick and finish are good starting points but she's got to cut the chaff from the wheat. She really seems inauthentic to me sometimes with her mic work and mannerisms. Again, keep the moonwalk, jettison the Badda Bing stuff.

I skipped Asuka-Eva Marie after a while. It wasn't being worked effectively. Eva shouldn't have gotten any offense other than directly after constant Jax interference. The way the match was going, they were working way too even.