Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

I normally think most two out of three falls matches stink, but this was great. In so many Two out of Three's, guys lose a first fall too soon and at times from moves that normally don't get pinfalls. Like if Sami got a pin from the Blue Thunder Bomb when it's never gotten a win yet on TV.This match had a LONG first fall where basically an entire normal match happened..THEN the next two falls were shorter with two exhausted guys going at it. Groovy shit.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it was good, not great.

Felt that it was missing a Flair (charismatic guy who keeps the match moving along) and a Steamboat (babyface who doesn't go more than 3 moves selling without firing something back). Joe just stalked around for 40 minutes and near the end said "Give up, it's not worth your career". Seemed more cute than important.

And Zayn's selling of every little thing as a gunshot meant I never once believed he had a chance. It seemed ridiculous for him to be able to "hulk up" at all.

Shouldn't have been 2/3 falls.

"Like if Sami got a pin from the Blue Thunder Bomb when it's never gotten a win yet on TV."

Still amazes me how much the live audiences pop for nearfalls when he does that move since I don't recall him ever winning with it. I mean, it's GOOD that they do, because popping for nearfalls makes a match awesome, but their legit shock is puzzling to me.

I normally think most two out of three falls matches stink, but this was great. In so many Two out of Three's, guys lose a first fall too soon and at times from moves that normally don't get pinfalls. Like if Sami got a pin from the Blue Thunder Bomb when it's never gotten a win yet on TV.This match had a LONG first fall where basically an entire normal match happened..THEN the next two falls were shorter with two exhausted guys going at it. Groovy shit.

BIGLAV:

+1 for Johnny actually critiquing something

"Like if Sami got a pin from the Blue Thunder Bomb when it's never gotten a win yet on TV."

Still amazes me how much the live audiences pop for nearfalls when he does that move since I don't recall him ever winning with it. I mean, it's GOOD that they do, because popping for nearfalls makes a match awesome, but their legit shock is puzzling to me.

I do live too. You know better, but you are into the live experience so you kind of put that out of your mind.

I do live too. You know better, but you are into the live experience so you kind of put that out of your mind.

Which begs the question of why we see so many dead crowds and always have to write them off as being jaded. Guess it just goes to show how badly people want to root for Sami, so good on him.

I'm five minutes into this NXT episode and they just announced three matches (Sami/Shinsuke, AA #1 contenders match, Bayley and Asuka teaming) that made me positively pee myself with excitement. Meanwhile I feel absolutely nothing for any match on the Mania card.

It's just mind boggling that WWE and NXT belong to the same company.

UPDATE: The first minute of the girls tag was amazing.

Nia knocks Bayley down, tags Eva in and holds Bayley's arms back for Eva to hit her. Eva tags in and takes her sweet ass time playing to the crowd and twirling around that Nia is eventually like "Fuck it! She's beyond help!" and has to let go of Bayley and get out of the ring. Eva finally turns around and the newly-freed Bayley takes her down and goes to work on her.

It was like the most gloriously glorious piece of wrestling incompetency ever.

It may be meta as fuck but a thousand stars to whoever thought to work Eva's matches like this. Every single thing she does in the ring is so incompetent and stupid, and everything Nia does in the ring are things she has to do because she has to work for three people due to Eva having the talent of minus one wrestlers, and if she left anything up to Eva they'd be completely annihilated.

I love how the first time Eva slapped Asuka, Asuka smiled, but the second time Eva slapped Asuka, Asuka had this really blank, kind of bewildered look on her face, like she had trouble believing that anyone could possibly make it to the age of 31 when they're that unutterably, incurably dumb. Even after witnessing the way that Eva began the match.

I love everything.

Asuka's aura is incredible when you think about it. She's not the biggest lady in NXT, and she's not got the build of a Dana Brooke. Her multi-coloured ring attire looks like a hyperactive kid designing his first CAW, and yet she can be terrifying with just one look. I'd honestly sooner have to fight tall, grumpy, werewolf-biker Baron Corbin than Asuka.

The start and finish to the tag main was really fun. The opening sequence with Gable and Gotch was fantastic with Gotch trying a bunch of different thing to try and catch Gable but Gable is just too quick to get caught. The finish was just a lot of crazy stuff happening all over the place.

Near as I can tell this is the Dallas show as currently presented:

Balor vs Joe

Asuka vs Bayley

Enzo & Cass vs Dash & Dawson
Zayn vs Nakamura

Aries vs Corbin

That would appear to leave room for one more match (the NXT specials always have six), of which I think Samson vs Crews could be a likely add given the way last night played out. Or am I missing one that was already announced/is more obvious?

Balor vs Joe

Asuka vs Bayley

Zayn vs Nakamura

Aries vs Corbin

That would appear to leave room for one more match (the NXT specials always have six), of which I think Samson vs Crews could be a likely add given the way last night played out. Or am I missing one that was already announced/is more obvious?

Dash & Dawson vs American Alpha instead.

Samson vs Crews is the other match.

Balor vs Joe

Asuka vs Bayley

Zayn vs Nakamura

Aries vs Corbin

Right. American Alpha. Total brainfart on my part. Thanks.

Did they announce the Crews/Samson match? I must have missed it. Just thought it was teased.

Balor vs Joe

Asuka vs Bayley

Zayn vs Nakamura

Aries vs Corbin

Right. American Alpha. Total brainfart on my part. Thanks.

Did they announce the Crews/Samson match? I must have missed it. Just thought it was teased.

It's on wikipedia...

From what I can tell it's the guy from the Performance Center who looks like a giant Carlito doing a club gimmick. Seems like a gimmick that will probably work in NXT but die a death on the main roster.

Why would a gimmick in NXT work and fail on the main roster? Maybe they need better bookers on the main roster?

From what I can tell it's the guy from the Performance Center who looks like a giant Carlito doing a club gimmick. Seems like a gimmick that will probably work in NXT but die a death on the main roster.

Why would a gimmick in NXT work and fail on the main roster? Maybe they need better bookers on the main roster?

Because Vince doesn't see guys in NXT as stars, so when they get the callup they get positioned the way Vince sees them. Dave pretty much said that's why Sami got called up with zero fanfare and stuck into a multiman IC title match.

It's not all about booking. Stuff like Emma the goofy girl who does a stupid arm dance and Adam Rose and the Rosebuds is something that appeals far more to an audience of 300 nerds in Full Sail than something that actually has legs on the main roster. It goes back to something people have been talking about for a while now about whether or not NXT is really doing a good job of getting people ready for the main roster.