Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Fastlane

DMJ

Pretty psyched for tonight's show, largely because I'm going with a bunch of buddies coming in from Columbus. I think the hanging out/pre- and post-show conversations will be light years funner than the actual event, but when is that not the case when you're with friends?

Back on topic - as much as some have been talking about how lame this show is going to be, I still think I'm getting my money's worth (especially compared to WrestleMania, which is way more pricey and currently seems like its going to be a 4-hour death march headlined by a Triple H "epic").

I think tonight's main event will deliver. I loved the Lesnar/Cena/Rollins Triple Threat from last year's Rumble and while I don't expect this match to meet that bar, I still expect that we get a worthwhile effort. I also think the crowd will be hot for this. I predict involvement from the Wyatts to take out Lesnar (though I don't want it) and chicanery from Triple H in some form or fashion because, if Lesnar gets taken out, the crowd will be 100% behind Ambrose...and in order to keep the heat off Reigns, you have to think they'll need to input Trips to get the crowd to boo the bad guy and not the "next Cena."

Elsewhere on the card, we get New Day in a segment with Edge and Christian. I'm guessing this is to set-up a TLC bout for Mania between New Day, the Dudleys, and Usos? I'm a Christian fan and find New Day entertaining, so, personally, I prefer this segment to a recycled New Day match.

AJ/Jericho, Owens/Ziggler, and Kalisto/ADR are solid in my book. I can totally understand some people viewing these matches, especially the latter two, as stale replays...but for me, this is where I reap the benefits of *not* watching RAW and SD every week. While I've seen these bouts once in the last month or so, I haven't seen them over and over like others so I'm not nearly as down on them as a more avid viewer could reasonably be.

Everything else gives me opportunities to grab more beer and maybe sneak a smoke. What I'm most curious about though is if we'll get an appearance from the Undertaker or the Undertaker's challenger, whoever that may be. If we get one of those two things (or an even less likely appearance from Daniel Bryan in Brie's corner), I think this show will come off as a pretty good all-around event.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about this show is that the last few weeks of Raw seem to be pushing HHH-Brock or HHH-Dean, but Roman's the only one with a chance of winning tonight. No one but Vince really wants to see Roman-HHH main event Mania so I have a feeling everyone's going to be negative towards Fastlane no matter how good the show ends up being.

My usually inaccurate predictions...

Kalisto retains the US Title over ADR. I think Sin Cara turns heel, and we see Kalisto vs Cara at Mania.

Becky/Sasha beat Tamina/Naomi.

Wyatts beat ShowKaneBack rather decisively.

Styles beats Jericho

KO retains over Ziggler. I think we see Owens vs Styles at Mania.

Charlotte retains vs Brie.

The main event is going to be fun, but there's absolutely no way Reigns doesn't win against Ambrose and Brock. It's gonna be HHH vs Roman at Mania, and that's just how it is. Don't pretend it's going to be anything else.

My (wacky and probably wrong but possible) predictions:

U.S. Title - Kalisto vs. Alberto Del Rio: Sin Cara turns on Kalisto. Alberto regains the championship.

Divas Title - Charlotte vs. Brie Bella: New champion, unless this is Brie's retirement match (but I can't see her taking off before Mania).

Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks vs. Team B.A.D. (Naomi and Tamina): Team B.A.D. after Sasha and Becky turn on each other. The internet explodes in fury.

IC Title - Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Ziggler: Ziggler is a jabroni. Owens retains.

Ryback, Big Show and Kane vs. The Wyatt Family (Luke Harper, Erick Rowan and Braun Strowman): Ryback turns on his partners to set up a hoss feud for WM. Wyatts win.

A.J. Styles vs. Chris Jericho: Jericho after someone costs AJ the match to set up a Mania feud.

Dean Ambrose vs. Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar: They're staying the course. Roman wins, Wyatts set up something with Brock (yawn), and who knows where Ambrose goes from here.

If Reigns wins tonight, the hashtag will be #BoycottMania32.

Is this a reddit thing, a twitter thing, a wrestleforum thing or a you thing? I hope Reigns wins like I always do because he's one of the few actually good wrestlers on the WWE roster.

Reigns is really good in ring, but he's not anywhere near company ace level. A lot of that has to do with shitty booking, but he's not got it as a babyface yet. Plus him vs Hunter is a super underwhelming main event.

Considering how good he should be for them to go all in on him he's actually too good. How good his matches are is completely irrelevant to people who reject him.

No. People reject him because he's not very believable outside the ring and he says very lame lines and doesn't react to situations like a human would.

Same as Grimmas, I had literally no idea this was tonight, which I'd say is a sign of how much attention I've been paying to WWE lately, but I know the entire card off by hand. Maybe they just don't drill the dates home hard enough? Perhaps only following it through podcasts and YouTube clips because 3 hours is mind numbing has an effect? Perhaps the FA Cup games not being on Sky had something to do with me not seeing a single commercial this weekend? Or maybe WWE just isn't that interesting to me right now.

I think it'll be a sleeper show based on the line-up, one of those shows where there's little anticipation going in because it's entirely predictable, and no doubt people will moan about it tomorrow when LOL Reigns wins, but I imagine it'll be good matches top to bottom. Even that six-man, as long as Luke Harper works most of it and it's just big dudes clobbering each other without reaching double digits, should be watchable.

You can say what you want about Reigns as a worker in the ring, but I don't think there's been a WWE top guy whose promos have been worse than his in many, many years. Maybe it's not his fault, but I still find it to be true. Reigns is not an all-around entertaining persona the way WWE top stars have historically been. There's a lot about the way he's portrayed that's very dull.

Edit: And by top guy, I should have said "ace." Obviously there have been a lot of guys near the top who have been lousy promos.

Edited by MFoy

I know it goes against WWE's overall philosophy on booking main eventers and more specifically, babyface main eventers but man if there was anyone in the WWE who needs the Goldberg push (as in he was never expected to talk much if at all and did all his talking in the ring while manhandling opponents), it'd be Roman Reigns.

Roman's improved a lot since the Shield days, and he's super charismatic when he's allowed to be himself, but their insistence on pushing him as Cena 2.0 when Cena 1.0 is still around and in the "winding down so I'm going to have great matches with midcard guys" phase of life is killing him.

It's been pretty long in WWE, can someone really get over without doing much talking? I believe in the Reigns case pointed out. Give Reigns The Goldberg Treatment and that has a better chance of solving WWE's Reigns' problem then anything else the company is currently doing. Apparently weak sauce promos were/ are a cause of Ziggler, despite being given the WHC on two difference occasions, isn't featured as one of the top five guys. Surely Summer Rae can be his Sherri Martel to his Shawn Michaels? Who was the last guy in WWE that got over with barely no words? Kane in the late 90's? Jeff Hardy prior to his 2004 TNA stint?

It's been pretty long in WWE, can someone really get over without doing much talking? I believe in the Reigns case pointed out. Give Reigns The Goldberg Treatment and that has a better chance of solving WWE's Reigns' problem then anything else the company is currently doing. Apparently weak sauce promos were/ are a cause of Ziggler, despite being given the WHC on two difference occasions, isn't featured as one of the top five guys. Surely Summer Rae can be his Sherri Martel to his Shawn Michaels? Who was the last guy in WWE that got over with barely no words? Kane in the late 90's? Jeff Hardy prior to his 2004 TNA stint?

Brock?

Considering how good he should be for them to go all in on him he's actually too good. How good his matches are is completely irrelevant to people who reject him.

There's also the observation that he seems to blow up like a tick when circumstances call for him to work longer than 15 minutes e.g. the last two Royal Rumbles.

True or not, his showings/booking there has been uniformly terrible if grooming an ace is your goal as promoter.

I spent way too much money to boycott that damn show. I may even cheer for HHH and buy his T-shirt!

Yeah, you should do a live reaction show from the stadium after the event LOL.

Is this a reddit thing, a twitter thing, a wrestleforum thing or a you thing? I hope Reigns wins like I always do because he's one of the few actually good wrestlers on the WWE roster.

I couldn't care less what the main event is. I'm just saying some internet smarks will try to get that trending if they have Reigns win. I'm not concerned with the current product. I will still watch it, because of how long I've been a fan for, but I will be watching classic stuff more than the current stuff.

Fully expect the main event to deliver, and there's no way Styles/Jericho is less than good even if I'm pretty over Jericho at this point. Surely Miz is involved somehow too. Honestly the next most exciting match to me is the women's tag, because Ziggler already bores me quite a bit, and I've come to the conclusion that Sasha Banks is my favourite act in the company.

They've never really known what to do with their Feb PPV in the modern era. It always ends up being an awkward cluster, but in prior years they had good Chamber matches to offset the booking. Really lackluster card:

• A foregone conclusion of a main event that will probably be a really good match with zero heat coming in or going out.
  • New Day relegated to an Edge-Christian interview segment, because plugging the Attitude Era dick joke comedy show is more important than your hottest act.
  • Kalisto-Del Rio for what, the fourth or fifth time in two months? 2/3 Falls match for your #2 title on the pre-show is something.
  • A women's division that's actually really good but still somehow not that over, even with Banks rising, the good Rumble build, and Brie being more relevant than ever.
  • Meaningless Owens win leading to Taker or bust at Mania. (Taker, mind you, is said to be working a part-timer who's not on the main roster, which may end up being the most exciting news out of this show. Tease for a hasty Cena return?)
  • The Wyatts being "built up" by beating a bunch of giants who always lose.
  • Styles-Jericho for the third time in three weeks.
  • No Outcasts, Sandow, Goldust, Usos, Swagger, Barrett, Henry, Neville, Titus, Breeze, or Ryder.
  • Heel Lawler is killing it on the pre-show right now: wack that he's not going to be on the PPV.