Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 2/22 - 2/28/16

FMKK

Yeah, I was at Fastlane and they promoted a SmackDown taping in September. AJ Styles was featured prominently, right alongside Reigns, Ambrose, and Wyatt in the video promo.

To me, considering he's only been in the company for a month and they've already edited him into promotional materials says a lot. People can talk it away like "They just put anyone in those things," but the fact is, someone designs promo packages and is given marching orders as to who should be put in and who should not. Those marching orders included "feature AJ Styles," not "feature Cesaro," not "feature Kalisto," not "feature the Usos," not "feature Ziggler."

AJ will get an opportunity, I think, especially if they eventually do concede that Reigns is a heel in the summer/fall. Styles as the "savior" against Reigns isn't completely out of the question, though, if they do go that course, I'd be surprised if Rollins isn't shoe-horned into that role.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so does everyone think this will be the end of the Authority at mania? Listening to Dave on WOR he seems to be doubting Shane is beating Taker unless they do a deal where he lays down for them for the good of the business

also Vince said "fuck" in his promo last night. Yet Brad Maddux was fired for saying "prick"

I was at Raw. Pop for Shane was insane. The reveal of Shane/Taker at Mania seemed to get a bit of a WTF reaction. There was a 'holy shit' chant, but also a lot of people seemed to see it as a letdown. People around me were commenting that it was a waste of Taker.

Reigns was heavily booed all night, even when he appeared on the video screen in like promotional stuff. Easily the most hated guy on the show. He did have pockets of support around the arena though, and I probably saw more Reigns shirts than of any other wrestler. Some of the anti-Reigns sentiment was so obnoxious that I was cheering for him, even though I'm not a fan really.

HHH's response was depressingly positive. New Day were very over, and there were a lot of unicorn horns in the crowd. Sasha got a pop for her entrance, but the crowd didn't seem too interested in the match. There were people around me acting like it was a Torrie Wilson match or something, which makes me think it's going to take a lot to really get these girls over to the general audience like some of us here would probably like. Nobody really liked the 6-man either. Jericho and AJ were both really over.

It seems like all of this was evident from watching on TV, but just thought I'd share how it came across in the arena.

I stand by the statement they don't want Styles to get over. They signed him to see some New Japan/ TNA guy fall on his face, not to have him make money. He's already lost in a singles match. His finisher has been kicked out of. Everything about his Jericho feud is shit, there is absolutely no heat in it at all. They have pointed out how short and how southern Styles is in the first month. Two things that if you want him over, you don't fucking point out. If you want somebody to get over do you put them on TV within a million miles of the Miz or the the crew from the social outcast? They've spent the entire first month making him to be some mid card guy. Every time they mention his accomplishments else where, Cole or Jericho or whoever deminishes those accomplisments. None of those things is something that you do if you want to make a guy successful. They see him as a midcard guy, they have spent the past month treating him as a midcard guy. his career there will be as a midcard guy.

I stand by the statement they don't want Styles to get over. They signed him to see some New Japan/ TNA guy fall on his face, not to have him make money. He's already lost in a singles match. His finisher has been kicked out of. Everything about his Jericho feud is shit, there is absolutely no heat in it at all. They have pointed out how short and how southern Styles is in the first month. Two things that if you want him over, you don't fucking point out. If you want somebody to get over do you put them on TV within a million miles of the Miz or the the crew from the social outcast? They've spent the entire first month making him to be some mid card guy. Every time they mention his accomplishments else where, Cole or Jericho or whoever deminishes those accomplisments. None of those things is something that you do if you want to make a guy successful. They see him as a midcard guy, they have spent the past month treating him as a midcard guy. his career there will be as a midcard guy.

Agreed. AJ should've won the Rumble and then went on a gauntlet at Mania beating HHH, Reigns, Cena, Rollins, Hogan, the Rock, Austin, Punk, Bryan, Orton and Batista... That's the only way they could've possibly booked him into a credible main eventer from the get go, amirite?

Seriously though... If the deal he signed for was as much money as it's rumored to be, how is he not making money?

He a lost 1 match to a guy he beat twice, once before and once after that loss which pretty much put over he won the series and it's his only loss in about 10 matches. How's that going to hurt him?

When has the Styles Clash been kicked out of? I don't watch SmackDown! and didn't pay that much attention to Fastlane, but I don't remember Y2J kicking out of it or anyone else kicking out of it on RAW.

Bryan was small and they pointed it out many times. Do you think that's something that stopped him from being the most over star on the roster? It's also 2016. That mentally has changed a lot. If you don't believe me, look at their current roster and signees.

Did you expect him to come in and become a main eventer from the get-go? Of course he wasn't going to be one. So it's no surprised he's been working the mid card for now.

JBL is always putting over his credentials. Every single time JBL talks about him, all he does is glorify how he's a well traveled veteran who's a former IWGP champion.

And one last time: Did you expect him to come in and become a main eventer from the get-go? Of course he wasn't going to be one. So it's no surprised he's been working the mid card for now.

With that said, I'm done. There's no valid argument you can bring up to justify your train of thought and there's no point in me or anyone else bringing up why you're wrong if you're just going to continue ignoring it because he's not getting booked how you wanted to.

Every guy Jericho feuded with in the past 5-6 years came out way worse off then they went in the feud with Jericho. Don't know how or why that happens it just does.

They aren't setting Styles up in a position to draw money for them. They are setting him in a position where they can say "well we tried, we put the IC title on him off the bat and it just never worked out"

Am I wrong or instead of funneling in crowd noise during his entrance like they do with a lot of people, they are tuning crowd noise down, the way CMLL does for some reason?

At Fastlane, his first PPV match, his finisher was kicked out of.

They aren't setting Styles up in a position to draw money for them. They are setting him in a position where they can say "well we tried, we put the IC title on him off the bat and it just never worked out"

His t-shirt has been their #1 best seller for a while and they even did a "5 dream matches for AJ Styles" article on their website and there's a very, very, VERY high chance they'll try and put all of those matches together.

...they even did a "5 dream matches for AJ Styles" article on their website and there's a very, very, VERY high chance they'll try and put all of those matches together.

There's always been a vast disconnect between the website and the actual product. I don't think a fantasy piece on .com indicates anything about WWE's plans for Styles.

Reigns was heavily booed all night, even when he appeared on the video screen in like promotional stuff. Easily the most hated guy on the show. He did have pockets of support around the arena though, and I probably saw more Reigns shirts than of any other wrestler. Some of the anti-Reigns sentiment was so obnoxious that I was cheering for him, even though I'm not a fan really.

You should have asked them if they were REALLY fans of Roman Reigns or if they just bought his shirt because it looked cool.

After his incredible heel run in NJ, I would have thought that they would have brought Styles in to be a top heel to feed to Cena or Reigns or whoever. Instead they have positioned him to be at best the #5 babyface. This is my point.

So then you wouldn't have complained about how he was fresh out of his "incredible heel run in NJ" and then lost in his first feud?

...they even did a "5 dream matches for AJ Styles" article on their website and there's a very, very, VERY high chance they'll try and put all of those matches together.

There's always been a vast disconnect between the website and the actual product. I don't think a fantasy piece on .com indicates anything about WWE's plans for Styles.

Considering how they've been pushing social media and stuff in recent months, I would say things are changing in that aspect.

I do think his long-term calling is as a heel given the WWE landscape, but I also think there's a lot of newness that has to wear off before it would work.

There is a happy medium between trading wins with Chris Jericho and going over every single top star in the company in a gauntlet match, by the way. Owens is a very good WM opponent for him if that's where they're going, and it would be nice to see them given time to steal the show.

I'll stop short of calling you an idiot and just say......you're wrong

Are you even watching the TV? The best stuff they're doing right now IMO is the AJ Styles push. Will he be a main eventer? He's AJ F'n Styles. He gets over. And if we've learned anything from recent WWE......they can't deny