Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably. Still, it says a lot about the current landscape that so much crappy guys are still to come while all the luchadors and strong joshi candidates and shoot-style guys are dropping like flies. It's like we were more open minded to different stuff in 2006, while people have got back to the good ol' US of A rassling this time around. Yep, not feeling that top 150 very much.

You act like the top 100 is going to be all brand split era WWE guys. It's really not.

This part of the ballot is really a mess, a few high voters propels people up.

I'm not a huge joshi fan at all, but I watched a pretty big chunk of Yoshida footage in the couple weeks leading up to the deadline, and for someone I really had no intention of seriously checking out for this project she wound up becoming my favourite (well, probably) joshi worker ever. Of course her case hinges largely on the ARSION run, but I dug her in matches as far back as 1992. There's a trios on the '92 yearbook where she's teaming with Hotta and Yamada against Aja, Bull and Kyoko, and I genuinely thought her performance was the most impressive part of the match. She basically bumped around huge for Aja and Bull for the most part, but her timing on hope spots was good and she was certainly easy to root for. In her peak she would hit the mat and at times burst into life with almost Tamura-esque speed, grabbing limbs and sprawling and shifting position. She also had a knack for milking a ton of drama out of submissions; sometimes being stuck in one for a couple minutes yet constantly struggling and frantically trying to make it to the ropes. There was a sense of desperation in those moments that I don't think too many of her peers could capture (that's also to say I thought she was a much better seller than most of them).

I have no real connection to any other joshi worker and wouldn't particularly care if Hokuto, Bull, Kansai and whoever else never made the top 100, but I really hoped Yoshida would. I also had a pretty good idea that El-P would be the one leading the charge to get her there.

Aw, fuck. Takada hasn't gone yet. And Yamazaki (and Yoshida for that matter) are SO much better than him, even if you play the massive subjectivity card.

Nothing against you personally but this is my least favourite PWO post.

Cota sounds like the kind of character I really regret not knowing about. But that's exactly what makes this list worthwhile to me is the fun of those kind of things.

Put it this way, he's a lucha guy and one of the board's most vocal anti-lucha guys had him at #40

There are no anti-lucha guys. There are only the enlightened and the ignorant.

It's pretty much posts like this that make people anti-lucha, just sayin'.

Oh shut up. As someone who knows you personally, I think you more than anyone would know I don't take this shit too seriously.

It's pretty much posts like this that make people anti-lucha, just sayin'.
Or anti-Flair if you change some words around :)
Well at least after 2 years you've finally admitted it.

It was a joke, and most things you claim others don't admit are based on your own willful ignorance and/or refusal to acknowledge what is right in front of you.

I still love that this is the same Mocha Cota that Dean said in the very first DVDVR #1 "I hope to never see him again"

Talk about an evolution on one's opinion

I was amazed that anyone went above me on Cota since he's in there almost as a protest vote on my list (though one that I can justify). It's great that it was DEAN because that means I get double credit for Cota's placement.

First person with 800 points. I love Psicosis but unfortunately did not make my personal list.

He just missed the cut. If there was a list of 110 guys, he would have made my ballot. Really love those Regal-Psic matches. I may have given Regal too much credit for them and not enough to Psic.