Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

I'm more then a little confused how some people chose Big Show as there "Seriously, that guy?" point. I had him at 53, which is probably overly high, but he's had some really strong matches at a lot of points in his career, including that freaking amazing match with Sheamus a couple years ago, to some pretty fun stuff all the way back in WCW. He's had lulls, but I think he's been solidly "Good" for almost 20 years, so I viewed his longevity as a reason to bump him up. Just an incredibly versatile performer, which is something I value a great deal.

Also, bump Mochizuki and Nigel from my list as well. I'm a diehard RoH heyday mark, but I will admit I'm a LOT lower on Nigel then a lot of guys in that group. He was a good worker, but the style at the time was losing me a good deal. Missed the more 80's influenced with a touch of Japanese influence style they had going from 04-06, instead of what it became in 07 and forward, and Nigel was a big part of that change to me. Still was too good at that style for me to completely discredit him, and I was a fan of him of his 05, were I thought he became great as kinda a mix of what he had been before and what he ended up being.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe next time there should be an extra spot for a vanity pick. Someone that won't rank, but then people'll get it out of their system. Could also be fun to see who gets the most vanity pick votes then. I have a solid 98 names I can defend ranking. One very personal nostalgia pick, that I would honestly also have close to the very bottom of my list if it was a top 200. And one pick at #100 that I can partially defend, but not really. And those two vanity picks were (thankfully) my first two soldiers down by a large margin. From then on it starts to get serious :-)

Seeing Pat O'Connor close to Randy Orton and The Big Show... Well... To rank in my list of all wrestlers all time, one match is enough. A masterpiece as your only match will probably get you at around #1000 :-) ... Still I couldn't get myself to rank O'Connor, Buddy Rogers, Lou Thesz or Gorgeous George on the 3-5 prime era matches I've seen of each. It just seemed too glaringly obvious they are candidates for the all time top 25, and placing them at 75-100 seemed disrespectful. Now their final ranking seems disrespectful, so I wish I had included them somewhere. Anywhere :-)

In some aspects, I think she was better than Onita even, which makes me wonder when Onita's gonna go.

She was better than Onita in every aspect. And I'm an old Onita fan. Kudo had the best Onita deathmatches ever with Toyoda & Ozaki and some amazing carry job with Shark, who was much worse than most Onita big deathmatches opponents (ok, she was better than Tiger Jeet, but everyone is). I'm glad Onita has not showed up yet since for the longest time he was looked down upon, but there's no way Kudo should be lower.

Seeing Rogers and Condrey both fall has made me slightly uneasy about how this is going to go.

It could be that

1. guys short-changed those two because they were seen as tag workers.

Or, my fear:

2. We are going to see a lot of 80s territory guys fall in the next 100 and mainstream attitude era and 00s guys are going to dominate the back half of the actual top 100.

I really really hope it was 1.

Seeing Rogers and Condrey both fall has made me slightly uneasy about how this is going to go.

It could be that

1. guys short-changed those two because they were seen as tag workers.

Or, my fear:

2. We are going to see a lot of 80s territory guys fall in the next 100 and mainstream attitude era and 00s guys are going to dominate the back half of the actual top 100.

I really really hope it was 1.

Share both your hopes and fears here...

I think Brody gets a bad rap. I can say with a straight face his match vs Flair in St Louis is probably my favorite Flair formula type matches. I can also say I pretty much loved everything involving the Funks vs Brody and Hansen in AJPW. I know many people find it over rated, I love that stuff. And to say Brody doesn't sell isn't true. To me he's like Inoki and Mascaras, where if he respected a guy or thought he could make money with a guy he would sell for him. If not he would go out of his way to look invincible at their expense.

He also bumped and sold a lot more when he was a face.

There's no one who did more to hurt matches than Brody. How does that rate?

I've seen the match with Luger in the cage. Are there other examples like that or is your point just that he sucks and ruins every match he's in?

This is my favorite hilarious Brody match. You have to feel so bad for Dos Caras here.

Really? I thought he did quite well. I don't know who Sam DiMascio is but he must be of good stock.

I just figured he might have a bit of bump in some people's eyes like he did in mine watching the lucha stuff that daintacash has uploaded. You would be wrong on the second part of your statement. :)

Really? I thought he did quite well. I don't know who Sam DiMascio is but he must be of good stock.

I just figured he might have a bit of bump in some people's eyes like he did in mine watching the lucha stuff that daintacash has uploaded. You would be wrong on the second part of your statement. :)

In general, it's something of an accomplishment for a wrestler not to fall on the list given the new footage all across the board and new talent that has either come or matured in the time. We do have to keep that in mind.

Oh, and I had Buzz Sawyer on my list somewhere in the bottom 50. Buzz to me is the guy with the most believable gimmick in wrestling. Like, I fully believe that if you looked at him wrong he'd try to bite your ear off or something. Mad Dog indeed.

Orton is probably the worst guy to rank so far. Maybe not the actual worst wrestler, but just for what the guy represents - mediocrity, homogeneity, blandness, sheen and polish in the worst sense - he's pretty much bottom of the barrel for me. The guy couldn't entertain his way out of a wet paper bag.

WHOA! What is this?

I'm disgusted by Emilio's placement and the tarnishing of my reputation!

Emilio finished somewhere around the middle of my ballot. I get OJ's point about him not exactly having a litany of superb singles matches, but as a trios worker I can't think of many guys I'd rather see in a rudo unit than Emilio Charles Jr.