Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't get the criticism that Emilio didn't have good enough singles stuff.

I feel like Charles' rating is the first person I can point to that has fallen due to ignorance of him more than anything. Obviously not everyone has time to deep dive in to everything, but he rewards effort and watching lots of footage, which many voters did not do for lucha. Oh well.

I'm part of the problem since I never voted for him myself, thus I really have no grounds to complain, but MS-1 is another guy that probably should be a good deal higher. I left him off because I felt as though I hadn't seen quite enough footage to get a proper handle on him, but he was still involved in maybe the greatest match of all time. So, you know, he had that going for him. He was a late cut (I was forced to cut a lot of luchadores late), but it still stung to do it. Him and Emilio dropping one after the other is a kicker.

Did you vote for him, Matt?

I'm part of the problem since I never voted for him myself, thus I really have no grounds to complain, but MS-1 is another guy that probably should be a good deal higher. I left him off because I felt as though I hadn't seen quite enough footage to get a proper handle on him, but he was still involved in maybe the greatest match of all time. So, you know, he had that going for him. He was a late cut (I was forced to cut a lot of luchadores late), but it still stung to do it. Him and Emilio dropping one after the other is a kicker.

Did you vote for him, Matt?

I did. Both MS-1 and Charles.It's a hell of a one-two punch.

Hayabusa was my #50, and the reason why I submitted a ballot. When he died, it brought me back days of being a puroresu super fan and how much fun I got out of it. I thought after taking part in so much discussions over the years, it wouldn't make sens to not do it, unless I was really done with pro-wrestling. Which, after all, is not the case yet.

Would love to hear an explanation of ranking Ray Stevens at #12 that isn't just based on reputation among old wrestlers. None of the footage I've seen on him is all that impressive. At least for guys like Gorgeous George or Buddy Rogers you can actually look at footage and see why so many people called them great.

I feel I watched more Stevens than a lot of people and yeah there's nothing there and it was a good couple of discs worth of stuff. Bock carried that team.

I'd give anything to see the Patterson team though, anything.

Dean, Si, and myself had to be the high Cota voters and for someone who Meltzer would bitch about in 93 Observers because he had a tiny view of what lucha could be, we got him far. Not far enough to see poor OJ's head REALLY explode though.

I considered both MS-1 and Emilio for my ballots but I didn't get a chance to see enough of them, even with Emilio's great stuff with Dandy and the all-time great MS-1/Sangre Chicana match. There was a part of me that wanted to put them on the ballot for that alone, though. And there's no doubt in my mind they would have made it had I gotten to some of the older lucha stuff sooner.

I considered both MS-1 and Emilio for my ballots but I didn't get a chance to see enough of them, even with Emilio's great stuff with Dandy and the all-time great MS-1/Sangre Chicana match. There was a part of me that wanted to put them on the ballot for that alone, though. And there's no doubt in my mind they would have made it had I gotten to some of the older lucha stuff sooner.

Yeah, more of this guys would had been on there but I focused on other luchadores. Still they did really well compared to 2006.