Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 3

Grimmas

Inoki's not just legendary in Japan because he was tall, handsome and good at BS'ing. Not that long ago I thought that Akira Maeda was more badass than any political figure from his era could be, and maybe he still is, but Inoki is nowhere near as fake as I once thought.

Handsome ? With that chin ?

But yeah, Inoki may be a lot of things, but boring certainly isn't one of them. Well, some of his matches certainly are boring as fuck though. Those Brody stuff in the mid 80's, my god... And the Backlund matches I remember having a hard time going through them, and I'm a Backlund fan.

Inoki works better in small doses.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Webb for President.

I think he and I have similar love for Big Poppa Pump, though I didn't rank him nearly as high. It's kind of like how I love the movie Independence Day. It's not the best movie ever - not it's unbelievably compelling to me. The action is absurd, the line of thinking that any character exhibits is absurd, the shit that comes out of people's mouths is absurd, the physics and science of the film is absurd - but you put it all together into one movie and you can't help but admire it for it's lack of fucks given. And I can't ignore that kind of joy. I value it deeply. And a lot of these characteristics are exhibited by the art form of professional wrestling on a whole - so maybe Scott Steiner really is the embodiment of his profession the good and the downright awful. Perhaps that really does make him... the greatest.

Black Terry just missing the top 150 makes me feel sad, even if that's a pretty excellent showing all things considered.

29 people lost thus far, with 4 high votes. Was sure that I would be the high vote on Necro as well. I think I probably have two more people I have a shot at high vote for (not including my number 1).

Hardy's a guy I need to give a post project rewatch, People I Trust seem to rate him. In real time I found him as ugly to watch as Edge.

Matt Hardy's run after his Edge feud on Smackdown is one of the most impressive feats in WWE history.

Here's a guy that looked and sounded like a total dork, and he was kinda exposed even more so during the Edge feud. So after that feud they just let him wrestle decent length matches nearly every week and he kept getting more and more over without talking or character development. He was just that good match guy, and he probably had the best matches on TV anywhere during that period. And that's before he made MVP in that tremendous feud. Also if you get to watch him live it's a whole other experience because he plays to the back in a really beautiful way that not many on the roster can do without seeming totally ludicrous. He's not the total package by any means but based on just wreslting ability Matt Hardy was pretty fucking amazing for a good length of time.

I really thought Tracy might sneak into the top 100. I love that guy. Every time I pop on some Smokey Mountain Wrestling i say "Fuck, Tracy Smothers is awesome" at least once... even when he isn't on the show.

I am happy to see Bam Bam here. I kind of figured he would be lower. His Texas Death Match with Lawler is probably my favorite Memphis match (not the best, but my favorite). His career seems to be full of gems like that.

I also think that since Jimmy has taken full responsibility of the Triple H ranking, in case he makes it into the top 100, she should be asked to watch every Hunter promo and main event from 2003 for introspection.

I am also curious where Shawn will end up. I am now thinking it is increasingly likely he cracks the top 30.

Hardy's a guy I need to give a post project rewatch, People I Trust seem to rate him. In real time I found him as ugly to watch as Edge.

Matt Hardy's run after his Edge feud on Smackdown is one of the most impressive feats in WWE history.

Here's a guy that looked and sounded like a total dork, and he was kinda exposed even more so during the Edge feud. So after that feud they just let him wrestle decent length matches nearly every week and he kept getting more and more over without talking or character development. He was just that good match guy, and he probably had the best matches on TV anywhere during that period. And that's before he made MVP in that tremendous feud. Also if you get to watch him live it's a whole other experience because he plays to the back in a really beautiful way that not many on the roster can do without seeming totally ludicrous. He's not the total package by any means but based on just wreslting ability Matt Hardy was pretty fucking amazing for a good length of time.

I did find the dorkiness, bow legs and the all round look quite off putting, in the same way Kevin Owens critics dislike him. Aside from the punch I didn't care for his offence at the time. But he's with Finlay and Benoit as WWE guys from that period I need to rewatch.