Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 25-11

Grimmas

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was such a relief to come across a Japanese main eventer that made use of facial expressions, had genuine intensity, didn't stick rigidly to 'stoic'.

Um...what?

GWE equivalent of Vince taking wrestling from smoke-filled venues to what it is today.

I kind of like Bret Hart in terms of broken down wrestlers saying dumb shit. The "Triple H is a 4/10 wrestler" line would obviously be #1 but then there's also stuff like him claiming Melina is the best women's wrestler with his thought process being something like this:

On women's wrestling: "It's never been better. I mean who ever got a boner watching The Fabulous Moolah"

Whereas someone like Mick Foley just creeps me the fuck out. IDK I can't really vote for a guy taking all these stupid bumps when he's doing pathetic company shilling rants and is working the creepiest white male feminist gimmick ever. I mean I'd totally do it if I truly cared about his work but. Nah.

edit: should note triple h being a 4/10 wrestler wouldn't classify under the dumb shit said by bret hart, seem about right really, might be slightly overrating him

That 4/10 thing was referring to one of his matches, not him as a wrestler per say.

Per se, lad, per se.

WWE self-conscious epic = best style evah.

Literally no one has said that and the list does not even reflect that considering the top 10 is going to be a bunch of dudes from All Japan, Daniel Bryan and Ric Flair.

El-P, did you edit your "bah", or did goc add it in?

I also do not appreciate this implication. I don't even know what would have been the point of messing with a quote in such a stupid and inconsequential way.

I kind of like Bret Hart in terms of broken down wrestlers saying dumb shit. The "Triple H is a 4/10 wrestler" line would obviously be #1 but then there's also stuff like him claiming Melina is the best women's wrestler with his thought process being something like this:

On women's wrestling: "It's never been better. I mean who ever got a boner watching The Fabulous Moolah"

Whereas someone like Mick Foley just creeps me the fuck out. IDK I can't really vote for a guy taking all these stupid bumps when he's doing pathetic company shilling rants and is working the creepiest white male feminist gimmick ever. I mean I'd totally do it if I truly cared about his work but. Nah.

edit: should note triple h being a 4/10 wrestler wouldn't classify under the dumb shit said by bret hart, seem about right really, might be slightly overrating him

That 4/10 thing was referring to one of his matches, not him as a wrestler per say.

Per se, lad, per se.

I feel like that would have been an appropriate place for a Jim Barnett impression.

When it comes to Savage I'm a pre-90 Savage guy. Mostly pre-87. Where does everyone else fall when it comes to Savage?

Mania 7 (March 91) and back, plus I really enjoyed his DDP feud in 97.

Actually, I really enjoyed the Flair stuff after that too... So, better I just say 97 and back...

Bret is better than Takada

If Bret Hart forms a promotion with no TV in 1991 he's lucky if he draws half the numbers my local backyard/indie fed does ("my", I don't have anything to do with it). What a mark. Bet his nudes wouldn't look half as good as well.

I'd like the Savage as #1 people to explain themselves. For all the focus on Bret, that's pretty nutty in itself, is it not?

Now I want a Randy Savage vs. Bret Hart thread that's just as awful and cantankerous as the Flair/Bret one.

Would be my #2 vs #1.

Literally no one has said that and the list does not even reflect that considering the top 10 is going to be a bunch of dudes from All Japan, Daniel Bryan and Ric Flair.

This was in reference to you saying Roman Reigns could get at this level because he's very good already. Posts are just flooding to fast.

This was in reference to you saying Roman Reigns could get at this level because he's very good already. Posts are just flooding to fast.

Let me know which Reigns matches fit your description for self-conscious epic. He doesn't do those "kick out of a million finishers" matches, I don't even think his Spear has EVER been kicked out of.

I didn't vote in this list, but am enjoying reading it. Some of the ranking are mind boggling weird for me though, Regal being the main one.
I always viewed him as someone who when he was in the ring with someone who could work his style Finley, Benoit, could on the right night have a very good match.
But I've never seen him carry anyone to a good match, or have the consistency of great worker working great matches more than once or twice a year. (if that)
Windham at his peak was as good as anyone, love his Flair matches and his match with Bigelow is also worth checking out.
But he was great for only a short period of his career, not a top 40 for sure.
I have Windham about the same level I have Dustin Rhodes at, just because both were so inconsistent in there careers.
The other one which totally mystified me is Akira Taue, you could of put the great khali in his place in those Ajpw matches.
No one would have noticed he was that wooden in the ring.

Bret is better than Takada

If Bret Hart forms a promotion with no TV in 1991 he's lucky if he draws half the numbers my local backyard/indie fed does ("my", I don't have anything to do with it). What a mark. Bet his nudes wouldn't look half as good as well.

Takada nudes? Girl, don't be playin' ...

The other one which totally mystified me is Akira Taue, you could of put the great khali in his place in those Ajpw matches.

No one would have noticed he was that wooden in the ring.

What in the name of fuck.

We think knowledge has gone out into the world, and then the world looks back at us and laughs.

Please create variations of the list based on # of posts made.

Not going to happen.

Yea number of posts is a silly metric but a list of people who were only active in the discussions threads would be an interesting list.

I've been a member at this board since the get-go, pretty much. I visit this board every single day, some times multiple times a day...and I'm pretty sure I read practically every nomination thread, or at least most of them. But I work a 4 day week of 12 hour shifts in my job, and it's not a job where I can get online much, if at all. I just don't have the time to get into prolonged discussions online on a regular basis. Sure I get days off, but I always have so much crammed in that I have to do when I'm not at work.

But there were people for this project who made my ballot, or who got ranked higher (or in rare cases lower) based solely on discussions I read here. I did not actively "participate" in these threads aside from listening to the discussion and checking out recommendations. Are we back to the idea that my ballot might not have counted for as much because I didn't have time to discuss each nominee at length? Because after that it will be straight into the idea that my ballot shouldn't count because I don't like Joshi, or Lucha is not my favorite style...and next thing you know, you've got four guys left voting.

There are a couple of guys on my ballot that I was upset to see place so low, in a couple of cases they didn't even break the Top 100. I wasn't happy, but I got it. I knew being a fan of FMW/ECW and not Joshi or Memphis was going to put my ballot at odds with other ballots. I'd like to think if challenged, I could defend my ballot. And now I really want to learn more about some of these guys, like the World of Sport guys, or Casas for example.

But the way some people taking this so seriously that they are bitching about so many results, or that some people don't deserve to be on the list, or saying they aren't going to continue to follow the list, or they want to see the ballots broken down into different categories based on different criteria...kind of sucks all the fun out of this project.