Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV June 20 - June 26

...TG

Well we don't have to worry about the 3 way match at least for this month.

WWE just announced the following:

WWE has suspended Joe Anoa`i (Roman Reigns) for 30 days effective immediately for his first violation of the company’s talent wellness policy.

Well as a DC guy who was planning on going to Battleground it sucks, it really should happen at Summerslam

He doesn't get the Randy Orton treatment ? Interesting.

Randy has been suspended 3 times. Two wellness policy related (30 and 60 days) and one time for unprofessional conduct (I think he rolled a joint in front of everyone or something like that). So Roman still has ways to go before he reaches Randy status.

Battleground is 34 days from now.

True...but I can't imagine they would go ahead with the match without Reigns around to help hype it up until 4 days before, would they? Aside from the practical problems that would create, it doesn't send much of a message to the rest of the roster either. "Get suspended, but come back just in time for your main event paycheck."

I am also curious as to how they will explain his absence from TV, don't they normally just stop talking about somebody when they are suspended? It will a bit more difficult to write Reigns off TV, but I can't see them admitting a Wellness Violation on TV, what do they normally do, make up an on-screen injury or something?

So, I think at this point, almost anything he does is going to be talked about in a way that doesn't show good on him. He's basically Sheamus at this point, as Randy, even at his worst, was over thanks to the RKO.

He's been unbelievably bungled, and now they have basically zero golden boys ready to step in for him. Rollins thinks he is, but at this point, I'm not seeing it as a heel. He has to be a true face at some point.

Considering how rarely top guys get popped, and how all the WWE partnered media outlets are reporting this, it sure seems like this is a pretty clear message being sent. Either he failed for something extremely dumb to get caught for, or he broke some silly WWE rule like not genuflecting to a backstage photo of the Undertaker or something.

I rather doubt that Reigns would've gotten popped if ratings weren't in the toilet and Ambrose wasn't outdrawing him on the house show circuit. On the other hand, they weren't going to pull the plug on Reigns just because he wasn't drawing, because that would require Vince to admit that he made a mistake. The suspension allows them to depush Reigns while maintaining plausible deniability.

To touch quickly on the first question on the original thread, I don't so much have a problem with them feuding, but I hate that they seem to just throw them together without much thought. Their feud is a great way to bring Zayn in give him some character right away, but they are just putting them together, calling it a feud, and expecting it to work. it is just a generic hate at this point and they really need to work to add a new wrinkle to it.

In the very least Owens should have started a little more dominant so they could build Zayn's credibility through his pursuit of beating Owens. Building off what they were doing in NXT would make sense. This is more or less a reverse of that where Zayn has unceremoniously gotten the best of Owens already. Now they are just feuding because they generically don't like each other, which is in such a drag given how intense and personal their feud has felt elsewhere.

As for Reigns, this feels like a big deal to me. Not that I am devastated or surprised or anything, but he is going to have quite an up hill battle ahead of him. I actually thought he was settling into his role as unbeatable monster champ pretty well, but this (on top of losing) really derails that and I am not sure people really care enough about reigns outside of booing him. I have kind of liked the guy for a while and thought he could really get that Cena type heat where the hate is a great thing, extending him beyond the heel/face dynamic, that feels deflated now.

My biggest takeway of the PPV was that Roman has the chops to be a really great heel but WWE is too bent on him being the top public relations/Make a Wish guy to do it. Maybe the silver lining in the suspension is now they won't want him in that role now that the dreaded Google Search of DOOM will bring up a Wellness failure.

It would be great if he came back and blamed the people for his violation, ala "by booing and hating on me, you have driven me into this" and became this disgruntled man who wants to beat every beloved face just to shove it into the people's face, culminating with him vs. Rock at WM.

Ambrose seemed slightly toned down on the mic this week. Slightly. Not quite the full on tweak parody he'd become, but further along that spectrum than I'd want from someone with the big belt. Overall thought he carried himself well and was presented in a much more legitimate fashion than I thought possible after the direction of his singles run going back for quite some time.

Seems like the pops for Shane O Mac have fallen by the wayside. Very expected once the nostalgia wore off, but we're clearly in for a full serving going forward.

I was really excited at the teased face turn for the Wyatts before they disappeared due to injury. Looked to be a fresh and necessary reboot of the act with a lot of potential. Unfortunately they seem to have returned in the exact same role, soon to be followed by the never-ending True Blood promos. And in a program with New Day. These TV segments will give me a lot of time to check in on other things or make phone calls. Matches have some potential if New Day doesn't play it for comedy, but not sure what the ceiling is if Strowman is heavily involved.

Really dug AJ's mic work and the presentation of the Club this week. Hopefully they find a natural, compelling way to shift this to the top on Smackdown if that is indeed the plan.

Loved Roman/Rollins once again. Not at the level of the PPV, but a really good match and interesting that they worked it with Roman as the babyface selling and getting cut off, which lo and behold even seemed to produce genuine babyface pops for his comebacks. Can't quite put my finger on it, but the way they teased and eventually arrived at the double countout just didn't feel right. Perhaps because they both looked to make it back right as the ref reached 10? May have worked better had they both been laid out on top of an imploded table for the entire count. Either way, really solid TV main event.

Do we know yet what he tested positive for? If it's pot or something and not PEDs, I think that makes a difference in how he's perceived in the future.

I am not sure it does make much a difference in terms of general reaction to him and how that may influence how he returns/evolves. People seem to be looking for a reason to boo him and hate him so I don't know that nuance and details will get in the way.

Plus, I am assuming if it were pot the WWE would have come out ASAP to make it clear that he wasn't juicing, but who knows.