Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 8/29-9/4

Strummer

I fiind it hilarious that people are all up in arms, not because it was a stupid as fuck finish that put HHH back in the saddle again, but because the title went to EVIL INDY GUY. And I'm the first one to dislike the indy mentality of spot-spot-spot (just read my TNA stuff). But really, at this point, give me Owens vs Zayn vs Joe in a Triple Threat at Mania, just so we have a smark mark collective orgasm and the biggest "THIS IS AWESOME" chant ever.

After all, Matt, you were right. We indeed like in a *Post-Bryan* Workrate guilt era now.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story online, that Meltzer has hinted at but not confirmed, is that Owens didn't know the finish until HHH told him in the ring.

Gotta love that. "Hey, Owens, don't move, I'm winning the belt for you."

I want a HHH vs Jeff Jarrett carny of all carny dream match at Mania.

I fiind it hilarious that people are all up in arms, not because it was a stupid as fuck finish that put HHH back in the saddle again, but because the title went to EVIL INDY GUY. And I'm the first one to dislike the indy mentality of spot-spot-spot (just read my TNA stuff). But really, at this point, give me Owens vs Zayn vs Joe in a Triple Threat at Mania, just so we have a smark mark collective orgasm and the biggest "THIS IS AWESOME" chant ever.

After all, Matt, you were right. We indeed like in a *Post-Bryan* Workrate guilt era now.

Someone could probably write an excellent article comparing fandom's reaction to Benoit and Bryan. It could be Bix's life work or something.

Can we just move on?

Of all the various types of smart fans being discussed, one that always confuses me are the types like Parv who clearly hate the current WWE product but seem compelled like a moth to a light to any and all discussion of it. I honestly don't get it. I personally find most of 70s and early 80s (W)WWF boring as fuck so I don't really spend much time watching it, but I've never felt the need to run in to a group of people talking about it and go on and on about how much it's garbage and everyone involved in it is boring and awful.

I was close to just assuming Parv was working some kind of gimmick, but reading posts where he's clearly not interested in anything that might challenge his view makes it clear he's just posting to get a rise. Calling it trolling seems to harsh since it seems like he has some very closely held beliefs. I just don't know what his end game here is. Everything about WWE seems to offend him on a cellular level, which is fine, different strokes and all that. I'm not sure what he seeks to accomplish by continuing to bang his drum.

Matt posted a link to a Kevin Owens promo to show how he actually showed genuine heel character.

Parv blew him off saying he wouldn't even watch it and rather watch 1990 WWF Superstars. Because the Boris Zhukov vs Nikolai Volkoff stuff was so compelling, you see.

So yeah, I'd call it trolling under a disguise of "pro-wrestling analysis".

What Coffey said about Rusev.

And I didn't quote that Volkoff/Zhukov angle randomly. It's the very first angle I saw on WWF TV and of course I was all excited about it (and yeah, thinking what you saw as a teenager is the greatest thing ever to this day because of nostalgia is just plain dumb).

So ... Renee Young's attitude about being in a trailer last night when she was interviewing Heath Slater was really off-putting. Was she afraid she might get some of the poor on her shirt?

I loved the segment, though. Heath Slater is The Man and can't no one tell him any different. Rhyno was tremendous in that too.

I really resent sek69's post because over the past five years I've barely discussed the modern product at all. "Any and all discussion" seems completely and utterly off and a massive exaggeration.

I think people just remember the handful of times I have commented rather than the months and months and months where I've not said anything and talked almost exclusively about old NWA matches or Funk tags or whatever.

The idea that voicing my view that current fans have wrecked the product is a troll is utterly insulting. I've seen enough to know they have.

I like Kevin Owens. I really do.

Why? There's a couple of reasons. First off, he might not be that typical championship material, but damn he's made it to the top pretty much everywhere he went. And that's not becaus he's a darling or something. Sure, that might have helped him in WWE and NXT, but I rather think it is because of his willingness to do what is asked and gathering momentum and support by delivering good stuff.

I think his character work is great. ust a jackass who's in constant fights with pretty much everyone he sees who is on his level or below, but always ducking before someone with power is someting we all know, and we all know someone who does it and loathe them for it. He's just a genuine jackass.

And, not unlike some people here, I have a feeling, he's mastered the art of trolling. Also and sometimes especially in his matches. Everyone likes to talk about how in these spotfests the little nuances and everything are missing, but when they occur in one of these matches, they get overlooked. I think it was MITB where he ran towards a ladder which was propped up with someone stuck in it, then almost stopped ded in his tracks, went around the ladder and slapped the guy. THIS is staynig in character, pissing off any- and everybody. And he does these little things all the time.

So yeah, I'm glad that KO is the champ. But i don't see any need to hate on somebody who doesn't share that opinion. I've been watching wrestling pretty much my entire life, and watching Raw and Smackdown weekly for about ten years at this point. It's not always great, but if I'd be so fed up with it that I'd have the deire to constantly bitch and moan about it, I'd just stop. And in stopping, I'd just, I dunno, leave it behind me and let it be. Because, after al, it is a hobby. A hobby one can get very passionate about, but it should not come to the point where I get disgruntled about it...

Of all the various types of smart fans being discussed, one that always confuses me are the types like Parv who clearly hate the current WWE product but seem compelled like a moth to a light to any and all discussion of it. I honestly don't get it. I personally find most of 70s and early 80s (W)WWF boring as fuck so I don't really spend much time watching it, but I've never felt the need to run in to a group of people talking about it and go on and on about how much it's garbage and everyone involved in it is boring and awful.

I was close to just assuming Parv was working some kind of gimmick, but reading posts where he's clearly not interested in anything that might challenge his view makes it clear he's just posting to get a rise. Calling it trolling seems to harsh since it seems like he has some very closely held beliefs. I just don't know what his end game here is. Everything about WWE seems to offend him on a cellular level, which is fine, different strokes and all that. I'm not sure what he seeks to accomplish by continuing to bang his drum.

When do you ever say anything positive about WWE? You are one of the biggest complainers on the board.

When do you ever say anything positive about WWE? You are one of the biggest complainers on the board.

I just posted about how I love how Smackdown has been doing more with a roster that most people would consider lesser than Raw. I used to almost never watch SD and now it's my favorite WWE show.

Really, my only issues with WWE is positioning Steph as the Alpha Female beyond reproach which at this point is what it is, and their insistence on continuing to miscast Roman as Smiling Babyface Diesel when he could be used 1000% better as a heel.

I get far more annoyed by "wrestling twitter" types who seemingly don't realize how snobbish they come off when they browbeat the plebs for not liking the same things they do.

I just posted about how I love how Smackdown has been doing more with a roster that most people would consider lesser than Raw. I used to almost never watch SD and now it's my favorite WWE show.

Really, my only issues with WWE is positioning Steph as the Alpha Female beyond reproach which at this point is what it is, and their insistence on continuing to miscast Roman as Smiling Babyface Diesel when he could be used 1000% better as a heel.

I get far more annoyed by "wrestling twitter" types who seemingly don't realize how snobbish they come off when they browbeat the plebs for not liking the same things they do.

But the thing is the moment they turn him heel, he will no longer be considered the guy WWE is trying to shove down the crowd's throats and will automatically become "cool" like Jericho or Owens or Rollins and people will immediately start cheering him. So if right now he is a face who gets booed, he will become yet another heel who gets face pops.

Well if he's a heel that gets cheered, at least that's a backdoor way for them to get what they wanted. The Rock should have been the blueprint they followed the moment he started getting booed out of the building. Allowing him to vent on the fans who hated him allowed him to show the personality that changed him from dorky Blue Chipper Rocky to the MF'in ROCK almost overnight.

I liked Cesaro/Sheamus but man taking a back body drop into the ring post is one of the dumbest spots ever on Raw. Yes, I realized it looked cool and that it led to a logical finish but it's just a fucking stupid bump to take for a rather heatless mid-card feud.

The story online, that Meltzer has hinted at but not confirmed, is that Owens didn't know the finish until HHH told him in the ring.

Kevin did an interview on a local radio show in Montreal this afternoon and absolutely denied what Meltzer hinted to. He said that everyone involved in the match knew about the finish from the start.