Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

6 hours ago, Al said:

From the magazine (writer Al Castle): "...we chose to consider each accused wrestler on a case-by-case basis...eliminating those left in limbo by terminations or suspensions."

The PWI 500 is for active wrestlers. Michael Elgin is currently not one, whatever the reasoning.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always found Terry Funk's transition from mainstream AJPW/NWA/WCW etc to FMW/ECW/indies to be bizarre. But I just was thinking about it in relation to Dory Funk's longevity in his weird wrestling school that never produced anyone - why didn't Dory ever show up in any of these feds? Why did Terry not make his way back to WCW or AJPW in the 90s?

18 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Hey, the Funking Conservatory produced Kurt Angle. Actually, just about everybody who debuted in the WWF in the late 90s trained at his wrestling camp.

It was only a few sessions here and there though. Angle was mostly trained by Dr. Tom I believe. 

I believe Terry Funk retiring and then coming back to work for Onita really did not sit well with the main promotions. As far as Dory goes, well.... just watch him, his look, his kind of work. Not exactly the kind of stuff that hardcore leagues were about (well, the look was whatever, but the stoic (aka boring as fuck) attitude and endless european forearms and stuff was not exactly gonna set FMW on fire).

On 9/13/2020 at 1:32 AM, Tawren said:

I've always found Terry Funk's transition from mainstream AJPW/NWA/WCW etc to FMW/ECW/indies to be bizarre. But I just was thinking about it in relation to Dory Funk's longevity in his weird wrestling school that never produced anyone - why didn't Dory ever show up in any of these feds? Why did Terry not make his way back to WCW or AJPW in the 90s?

Terry never stayed in any one territory for more than a year or so at a time and he always went where there was the most money. He always he kept it fresh by always moving from place to place and working more than one territory at a time. I just see his career in the 90s and 00s as a continuation of how he had managed his career for much of the 80s but in a new landscape where only a few of the territories were left.  I don't see it as Terry Funk making a transition as much as the business making a transition and Funk adapting better than anyone else from his generation to stay relevant. And he made dozens of appearances in  AJPW and WCW, in the late 90s and early 00s. 

Last I heard he was working some of the UK indies, but that must have been at least 5 years ago.  Crazy right? At around the same time when we were hearing rumors about Lesnar, Benjamin Shelton, Batista, and Randy Orton in OVW and hearing stories about all these incredibly talented kids coming out of Shawn Micheals school, there were also rumors of this future Hall of Famer coming out of Dory Funk's school that was supposed to be better than all of them. Funny how things work out. 

Four luchadores (Ultimo Guerrero, Bandido, Lluvia, and Princesa Sugehit) have tested positive for COVID and are off CMLL's anniversary show on Friday. Common sense would dictate that the show be postponed in the wake of a serious outbreak. But as thecubsfan has pointed out, doing so would require multiple powerful parties (CMLL and the authorities who gave them permission to start running again) to admit that they made a serious mistake in allowing shows to resume. So it's not going to happen.

Throughout the many years of my professional wrestling fandom, there have been a lot of wrestlers that I have changed my stance on over the years. Either because they got a new gimmick, or went to a new promotion, got a new look, new finish, I just saw more of their stuff... whatever.

I'm not sure if I have ever had a bigger about face on a wrestler than I have with Jay White though. I used to think his matches were fast-forward material. Now he's one of my favorite wrestlers in the entire world & I look forward to every New Japan card that he's on. 

Agreed. I thought he was a good wrestler but I just didn't see "top guy" material. I suppose it was a matter of finding the right gimmick to unlock his personality, or Gedo has a magic potion to give guys charisma. Either way, dude went from 0 to 100 seemingly overnight. 

Yeah, Gedo just gets guys over. White isn't the first guy who didn't seem to be "top guy material" that Gedo booked incredibly well and ended up being a top guy that drew the company money. Same thing happened with Devitt, Omega, and Naito.  Same thing will probably happen with Evil. 

The White thing wasn't zero-to-100, though. You can really see him get better in stages over 2018-2019, as he goes from being actively terrible to sort of figuring out the character (starting to have heat instead of go away heat) to really finding his groove as a heel worker in the G1 last year. I'm not quite as high as some here, but he's now firmly in a camp where I still enjoy cheering against him but am engaged with his matches in a positive way.