Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I can't seem to post in the GWE nominees forum and she doesn't have a thread anywhere else and I don't think this deserves a thread. But has anyone seen much/any 2000s Shinobu Kandori? Looking at some card lists, there's some interesting looking stuff out there:

Kandori & Yumiko Hotta vs Etsuka Mita & Amazing Kong 2/16/03 AJW

Kandori & Eagle Sawai vs Devil Masami & Kyoko Inoue 8/31/03

Kandori & Sawai vs Chigusa & Kansai 8/31/03

Kandori & Sawai vs Mayumi Ozaki & Kaoru 8/31/03

Kandori vs Meiko Satomura 2/12/07

She seems like someone who would have the strengths to age really well.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I could be totally remembering this wrong, but I seem to remember reading something some years back about an NWA/WCW era enhancement talent that had held a regional championship for some ungodly amount of time. 

I know that is vague, but does anyone have a clue what I am thinking of?

Mike Jackson and the "Alabama Junior Heavyweight Championship"?

In last weeks Observer, when running down info Dave mentions that Kendo Nagasaki (Peter Thornley) was doing a new book and unmasking tour, then briefly mentions the famous TV unmasking of Kendo and how he was so unsuccessful without the mask they put it right back on him. For those UK wrestling fans who know a lot more than me, is this true? I've read The Wrestling by Simon Garfield and the recent Have A Good Week… Till Next Week by John Lister and don't recall this being mentioned. Knowing Dave's sometimes poor interpretation or knowledge of British wrestling history I was just curious if he was correct here?

45 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Did Richard Slinger ever have a run anywhere in the states?  

Not as far as I know, he was trained by the All Japan dojo so he never really had a home promotion in the states as all Japan and later Noah was his home promotion. He got in there because he was a relative of Gordy's.

All I can find reference of is him doing some one shots for smw and wcw every so often but never a full run by the looks of it.

22 minutes ago, Richeyedwards said:

Not as far as I know, he was trained by the All Japan dojo so he never really had a home promotion in the states as all Japan and later Noah was his home promotion. He got in there because he was a relative of Gordy's.

All I can find reference of is him doing some one shots for smw and wcw every so often but never a full run by the looks of it.

Yeah, he had a try out for WCW in September '92 during the period Bill Watts was in charge but it never came to anything.

Has anyone watched that NWA anniversary show ? Cody losing the NWA title to Aldis pretty much kills all the hype the All In result had in term of what could be done with the NWA going forward. Aldis is not a blip on the radar in term of buzz. Apparently, they announced the return of a Crockett Cup, complete with too dudes cosplaying as the Road Warriors, with Animal by their side. This whole revivalist stuff is a major *yawn* to me. Let the past be. Give me more G.L.O.W. (the TV show, not the wrestling company) and Lucha Underground. Then again, Billy Corgan has reformed the Smashing Pumpkins (without D'Arcy, come on now), so what would you expect...

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, El-P said:

Has anyone watched that NWA anniversary show ? Cody losing the NWA title to Aldis pretty much kills all the hype the All In result had in term of what could be done with the NWA going forward. Aldis is not a blip on the radar in term of buzz. Apparently, they announced the return of a Crockett Cup, complete with too dudes cosplaying as the Road Warriors, with Animal by their side. This whole revivalist stuff is a major *yawn* to me. Let the past be. Give me more G.L.O.W. (the TV show, not the wrestling company) and Lucha Underground. Then again, Billy Corgan has reformed the Smashing Pumpkins (without D'Arcy, come on now), so what would you expect...

I saw some of the show. It was awful. If you took the idea of All In and stripped away all the attention to detail, the polished presentation, and the carefully crafted matches/angles, this is what you'd get. It looked low-rent and poorly lit. There were production issues from start to finish - inaudible interviews, Tony Schiavone's headset mic hovering about a foot away from his face, miscues on cutaways, and on & on.

I realize Tony is receiving a bit of love for his bounce back with MLW and the podcast, but Christ. He was terrible here. And who the fuck dressed him? If Lois let him leave the house looking like that, shame on her. Seriously. Listen to Tony talk about himself for thirty seconds & you'll realize he has self-esteem issues, but dressing in oversized, baggy suits is not a good look for anybody. He looked like an unmade bed.

Poor Cornette tried to hold it down at the announce booth, but he was fighting a losing battle there.

The NWA Title bout was the only thing worth seeking out, from what I can tell. And even that felt like a major step down from their match at All In. They tried to ape the same big fight feel, but it just came off as unnecessary activity & extra bodies tacked onto the match instead.

I tried a quick image search but came up empty. He looked borderline homeless though.

The new age Road Warrior ripoffs are Crimson and Jax Dane, by the way.

Dane is (was?) a decent worker and a former NWA World Champ. He's from my neck of the woods and first made his name paired off with Ray Rowe from War Machine back in the day.

Crimson is a former TNA discovery. They booked him like Goldberg for awhile, with this extended winning streak of barely watchable matches. They claimed he was the bigger (but younger) brother of Amazing Red. But his actual gimmick was basically just being the MMA fight fan in the tight-fitting Affliction shirt at Hooter's every weekend. And he's a ginger.

Crimson popped up around 2010 in TNA. Bet you wish you wouldn't have stopped watching now.

Anyway, they eventually realized he wasn't improving & sent him down to OVW for more seasoning. He never went anywhere else, and I *think* he had an American sniper gimmick or some shit the last time I tried watching their show. I hear OVW has improved but haven't had the time or the drive to check it out again lately.

So I'm not sure how they got together or how long they've been teaming. But putting the Road Warriors gimmick on them hardly seems like a fresh coat of paint or anything. I wasn't blown away by their offering here anyhow.

Dane was solid at one time. And I saw Samoa Joe carry Crimson to one or two good matches in TNA. That's all I got on them.

22 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

So I'm not sure how they got together or how long they've been teaming. But putting the Road Warriors gimmick on them hardly seems like a fresh coat of paint or anything. I wasn't blown away by their offering here anyhow.

They originally came together in Impact last year as The Veterans of War with a military gimmick using the names Mayweather and Wilcox. But they were only there maybe 4 months and have since continued teaming on the indies, now going by The War Kings. I think being NWA led to a more Road Warrior presentation.