TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, MoS said:

As an Indian, I just want to say that this is the worst thing to have ever happened in wrestling history. Of all the cringe moments wrestling has produced, this is the cringiest. Shame on everyone involved with this 

Come on. I really don't see what's the issue here.

(as I'm putting my baguette under my arm and my beret on my head, going out the door to the sound of the Amélie from Montmartre theme, crossing the Tour Eiffel straight away even though I don't live in Paris anymore, and all the people in the street saluting me with "Sacrebleu !")

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

Everything else aside. that cobra gimmick was the stupidest shit ever. I don't care that Santino was a comedy wrestler, it was the worst. 

Blame Mick Foley.

There's an entire study to be made about WWE "humor" over the years aka "Vince thinks this is good shit".

On 1/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, Zoo Enthusiast said:

We’re a couple steps away from Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta hunting poor people for sport. 

I mean, considering how the UFC pays its fighters, putting them against each other is maybe even more sadistic.

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

Everything else aside. that cobra gimmick was the stupidest shit ever. I don't care that Santino was a comedy wrestler, it was the worst. 

Santino almost beat Bryan for the Big Gold belt and it made it work in a non-idiotic way. Cobra included. It rocked!

9 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Santino almost beat Bryan for the Big Gold belt and it made it work in a non-idiotic way. Cobra included. It rocked!

I chalk that up to Bryan being a miracle worker more than anything else, that man can make literally anything work.

Santino was awesome. Not everything he was part of was great, but the great stuff made up for the bad stuff. He threw himself 100 percent into everything they gave him, and that's why he got so much dopey shit over. 
Blaming Foley for the cobra seems pretty short sighted as far as the big picture goes. Mr Socko was still a god damned mandible claw, a vicious move. The cobra was a stupid poke to the neck that looked dumb as a finish.

Never the less, Santino rules. He made me laugh legit during an era of WWE with a lot of really bad " comedy." 

"Jerry Lawler, I stole your delicious sandwich!" is one of the best bits ever on WWE TV and it was all Santino's delivery.

Santino never made me laugh out loud, but stuff like "Have you tried the Pepsi machine?" and referring to Cena as "John Chena" (the Italian pronunciation of Cena) was genuinely clever. Santina winning the Divas battle royal at WM25 probably single-handedly negates all that, though.

Speaking of comedy, I have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that My Breakfast with Blassie was actually a thing that got made. A full-length parody of an arthouse film is just about the last thing you'd expect a territory-era wrestling star to be part of.

On 1/23/2023 at 7:03 AM, NintendoLogic said:

Santino never made me laugh out loud, but stuff like "Have you tried the Pepsi machine?" and referring to Cena as "John Chena" (the Italian pronunciation of Cena) was genuinely clever. Santina winning the Divas battle royal at WM25 probably single-handedly negates all that, though.

Speaking of comedy, I have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that My Breakfast with Blassie was actually a thing that got made. A full-length parody of an arthouse film is just about the last thing you'd expect a territory-era wrestling star to be part of.

I say John Chena all the time.  Brilliant.

Santino was good at getting Vince's brand of comedy over as best as anyone could, but at the end of the day he was still polishing turds.  Funny thing is he just showed up in Impact as their new authority figure so I suppose we'll see if he can succeed in a non WWE environment.

4 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

For those fully immersed  in the bubble at the time, I’m sure Santino was great. But if you were on the outside looking in, he was putrid, lower-than-lowest common denominator wrestlecrap.

This.

He's the epitome of mid 00's style WWE comedy. Aka "don't enter the room while I'm watching this, please".

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Funny thing is he just showed up in Impact as their new authority figure so I suppose we'll see if he can succeed in a non WWE environment.

Yeah... ya know, I tried to avoid the subject in the IMPACT thread, because as much as I really enjoy the promotion, this one did not make me happy at all (not to mention his first appearance was a miss in term of booking to me). D'Amore was so great in his role of babyface authority figure, which was realistic (because, well, he is) with just a little bit of dry sense of humor, the last thing I want in my IMPACT program is a WWE comedy product. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (IMPACT has the knack for making things work), but I'm not thrilled about that one at.

I wouldn't write Santino off based on his WWE work because he has layers he wasn't allowed to show there. He's said that shoot-style/MMA-inspired wrestling is his favorite style. That was his gimmick in OVW.

He also worked one of the Bloodsport shows a few years ago. I don't blame him for going the comedy route since there's no way someone with his size and look was going to get a push in WWE as a serious shooter. It's the same deal as Nick Dinsmore. As deplorable as the Eugene gimmick was, appealing to Vince's awful sense of humor was his only real shot at the main roster since Dinsmore the wrestling machine would have been dead on arrival.

16 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I wouldn't write Santino off based on his WWE work because he has layers he wasn't allowed to show there.

We'll see. I've heard the same thing about Damian Sandow (which, ironically enough, I just saw debuted in my TNA watch in 2016 in a very much lolTNA moment, as he cut a typical "shoot" interview and was presented as a main-event level guy), and considering what I've seen him do out of the WWE system, well, nope. He was right where he should have been.

Damn. The fake Russian accent and all. "Different times" I guess...

It's fun to joke about Hogan carnying his way to the top of Scientology or refusing to do the job when hit up for donations, but let's get real. These aren't hick wrestling promoters we're talking about. Scientologists are workers on a completely different level. It's far more likely that they end up taking him for everything he's worth. Jeff Jarrett, on the other hand...

On 1/23/2023 at 9:29 AM, sek69 said:

Rocky Romero and Volador Jr have a banger in the main event here for the Historic (formerly NWA) Welterweight title. Starts about 2 hours in if you want to skip to it, and see why there's nothing like a Friday night Arena Mexico crowd. 

I finally took the time to watch this. The hype is deserved. Rocky Romero is one of those under the radar great worker who have been great for like 15 years now. I don't think I had seen him in Arena Mexico before, but damn this audience hated him. Awesome match, easy MOTYC level stuff, and that HEAT was just something else. Only in Mexico can you get that kinda heat anymore, and it's not like it was a full house either. Great, great pro-wrestling.

IIRC Rocky is in Mexico since he's New Japan's liaison to North America and Fantasicia Mania is coming up soon. He seems to be really good at being a proper buffer that allows companies that sometimes (or all the time in CMLL's case) act weird to play together nicely. 

Also there's probably going to be a rematch while the CMLL guys are in Japan that should be good. 

There's way too many guys in generic black (or mostly black) ring attire now. It's not just a WWE problem, but looking at the Rumble, it seemed like at least 75% of the guys in there resembled that remark. I understand it if it's part of their gimmick, but at least use some variety (maybe use rotating colored tights). Say what you will about Cody's Red, White, and Blue tights, but at least they stand out.

19 hours ago, JRH said:

There's way too many guys in generic black (or mostly black) ring attire now. It's not just a WWE problem, but looking at the Rumble, it seemed like at least 75% of the guys in there resembled that remark. I understand it if it's part of their gimmick, but at least use some variety (maybe use rotating colored tights). Say what you will about Cody's Red, White, and Blue tights, but at least they stand out.

Rollins' carreer turnaround started to take place when he began using RIDICULOUS flamboyant clothes. It's not a coincidence! Wrestling is colorful!

14 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Wrestling is colorful!

Steve Austin, The Rock and yes, Roman Reigns disagree. B)

Odd, that did not strike me at all this time, like for instance how everybody looked dull and the same in the mid 00's, with the short trunks, crew cuts and tribal tatoos. Maybe I just did not pay attention.

Seth Rollins looks like Juice Robinson now (the Flamboyant version, not the lame current Bullet Club one).