TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, strobogo said:

Where does Jay White-O end up? TNA seems below him as his homebase, I feel like he gets lost in the shuffle in AEW and also is going to be 2 heel at best for a while for MJF's run. I do feel like he fits in the best in WWE, but also feel like he'd just be alternate brand Seth Rollins at any point in time, which probably isn't the worst thing to be.

Both AEW and WWE have the built in Bullet Club angles with former leaders/members.  It'll be interesting to see where he decides on.

I could see him (at least initially) doing what Ibushi is apparently doing and just checking off bucket list stuff before settling down. Or maybe he signs something with Impact for a baseline paycheck and does other indies for shits and giggles.

If he just wants to get the most money, I would think WWE would probably overpay just to make sure AEW doesn't get him. Hunter's a body guy yeah, but deep down he knows when someone is money and to not let the other guys get them without a fight.

Maybe this belongs in the RIP Lanny Poffo thread, but I'm surprised that the WWE didnt acknowledge Lanny's death on any of their tv. He was there for quite a while, and you'd think being Randy Savage's brother they'd at least put an In Memorium graphic up there at least.

Other than Backlund, how many babyfaces have had successful title reigns after dethroning a long-term heel champion? It seems that long heel title reigns hinder the ability of other heels to get over at that level, leaving a dearth of strong heel challengers for the newly crowned babyface champion. That wasn't an issue for Backlund because the WWWF had an established business model of heel managers bringing in a revolving door of challengers for the champ to face. I suppose Cena also qualifies, but he was another special case as he switched brands after the JBL feud concluded, giving him a fresh set of opponents.

It's a little bit hard to untangle this question from places being heel/babyface territories.

I'm struggling to think of even a decent long-term reign by a face in Crockett/WCW. The Sting reigns (both after Flair and after Hogan), the Goldberg run - they're pretty weak, but that might be less about what the heels did and more that the structure of the booking didn't support the shift.

Taz in ECW is a good example for your point, though - he wins the title and there's just literally no challengers for him because no one's been protected other than the Triple Threat and Justin Credible.

On the WWF/WWE side - it's a bit hard to find examples because there have been so few face reigns following long heel reigns, up until the last 10 years (at which point the booking of babyfaces generally has completely cratered).

54 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I grew up watching it and its largely what made me a lifelong fan, but a big drawback of NWA/JCP/Crockett booking is that there was never really anyone built up that could be a credible babyface champion. 

Yeah, pre WCW you pretty much had Dusty and Flair when he was a babyface in that category and that was it.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I think that's why tag team wrestling got popular enough that it could main event in JCP, you always had multiple viable contenders who could hold the belts. 

Well that and it ruled. Haitch’s failure to revitalize the tag team division is my biggest disappointment thus far, in the realm of “things that could actually have happened”. Like I knew he wasn’t gonna fire the writers or change Kevin Dunn’s hyper-streamlined production and formatting, but credible tag teams seems like something he could have done, imo.

I think we are in a pretty decent era for tag teams, tbh. Usos have always been great, New Day still is around not only having main roster bangers but also helped up a rough NXT tag title scene, uniting Sheamus and Drew was a logical yet great decision, Street Profits are also very over, Imperium really improved as an overall act after Giovanni Vinci returned...

In terms of in-ring quality, it's great. It's not as absurdly over with the crowd as late 80s and early 90s, but I think they have done a decent job.