Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Life in 2022 means YouTube recommends me an August 1995 Wrestling Challenge with a thumbnail of JR and Michael Hayes doing commentary and I'm sucked in for an hour. Anyone ever watch this era? I'm watching a Barry Horowitz-Hakushi banger in front of a red hot crowd. JR and Hayes sound just like their 1986 UWF selves! Was this when Watts was around? I was expecting them to be much more WWE-fied. Its so fantastic but weird to be watching this be labeled Wrestling Challenge, I need to see how long they worked together here.

Edit: Ah, just saw Wikipedia had the history of announcing on that show and this only lasted a month. Damn. Thought I might have 4-5 months of peak Watts feeling TV I had not seen. I put the JR/Hayes team up there with Vince/Jesse and Gorilla/Heenan and JR/King for great heel commentator announce teams. 

One of the most incredible things about the 83-94 period (Vince’s first decade) is that one still even now after years of on and off again obsession can find obscure corners one did not know about.

Tonight, I fell down the rabbit hole of All-American. Random discoveries:

- Bad News Brown had a physical altercation with Jack Tunney some time in 1987. I had never seen that before.

- Tugboat “transformed” into Typhoon on an Ep of Prime Time in 91. And is introduced to the studio by Jimmy Hart and Earthquake.

- Just before Wrestlemania IX on the March 28th 93 episode of All American, Heenan and Okerlund infiltrate WWF headquarters in search of Jack Tunney. The link segments definitely worth a watch with some cameos in there from Steph, Sarge and others.

- Around the late Summer of 1994, Ted DiBiase “bought the set” of All-American, decked it out with new chairs and displayed the Million Dollar Belt on it. This is a schtick maintained until the final show which has the set literally dismantled on air with Todd Pettigall delighted and Ted with head in hands. That final show has clips from the previous decade. Quite interesting. The DiBiase set running gag reminded me a little of the Ian Mooney stuff on Spotlight. Completely random in-show angle lost to the mists of time.

4 hours ago, JerryvonKramer said:

One of the most incredible things about the 83-94 period (Vince’s first decade) is that one still even now after years of on and off again obsession can find obscure corners one did not know about.

Tonight, I fell down the rabbit hole of All-American. Random discoveries:

- Bad News Brown had a physical altercation with Jack Tunney some time in 1987. I had never seen that before.

- Tugboat “transformed” into Typhoon on an Ep of Prime Time in 91. And is introduced to the studio by Jimmy Hart and Earthquake.

- Just before Wrestlemania IX on the March 28th 93 episode of All American, Heenan and Okerlund infiltrate WWF headquarters in search of Jack Tunney. The link segments definitely worth a watch with some cameos in there from Steph, Sarge and others.

- Around the late Summer of 1994, Ted DiBiase “bought the set” of All-American, decked it out with new chairs and displayed the Million Dollar Belt on it. This is a schtick maintained until the final show which has the set literally dismantled on air with Todd Pettigall delighted and Ted with head in hands. That final show has clips from the previous decade. Quite interesting. The DiBiase set running gag reminded me a little of the Ian Mooney stuff on Spotlight. Completely random in-show angle lost to the mists of time.

Seems like topics for Letters From Kayfabe. 

58 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I'm almost positive JJ popped up once or twice as part of a mass of agents 

He was one of the Suit Brigade and would show up in the background for contract signings and whatnot, but Okerlund actually addressed him as "Mr. Dillon" which is one of the very rare instances of him being acknowledged by name. (Another was Pillman's contract signing.)

13 hours ago, strobogo said:

Raven's promos actually fucking suck. ECW and WCW. I will never understand how he got the reputation as this great promo/psychology guy.

The Raven character was 90s grunge in human form, more or less, especially in ECW. 

15 hours ago, strobogo said:

Raven's promos actually fucking suck. ECW and WCW. I will never understand how he got the reputation as this great promo/psychology guy.

I never, not for a single second, believed in the Raven character.

It always felt like try-hard cosplay by a rich kid.

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

I never, not for a single second, believed in the Raven character.

It always felt like try-hard cosplay by a rich kid.

Which was why the WCW reveal that he actually was a try-hard cosplay by a rich kid hilarious. I'm pretty sure that actually was part of the character initially in ECW but was dropped early on.

But anyway, the content and delivery of Raven promos were garbage. Even the grunge deal had peaked and was on the way out when the Raven character debuted in ECW. I've seen most of his ECW/WCW/WWE/ROH/early TNA work and I can't think of a single stand out Raven promo or promo that sold me on needing to see a Raven match. Luckily with the right guys he could have pretty solid matches at least for a while, but his promos always sucked. 

By the time Raven debuted in January 1995, Kobain was dead, Pearl Jam was basically blacklisted in the US due to the war with Ticketmaster, Soundgarden was winding down, AIC was on hiatus, and pretty much all genres of rock had completely fallen off the charts. The time for a timely grunge gimmick was definitely not 1995.

19 minutes ago, strobogo said:

By the time Raven debuted in January 1995, Kobain was dead, Pearl Jam was basically blacklisted in the US due to the war with Ticketmaster, Soundgarden was winding down, AIC was on hiatus, and pretty much all genres of rock had completely fallen off the charts. The time for a timely grunge gimmick was definitely not 1995.

are you saying that Vince was also behind the times in April of that year when he brought us Rad Radford?