Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

On 3/5/2023 at 7:39 AM, NintendoLogic said:

Sting has always said this, but it just doesn't add up. Not only did pro wrestling air in southern California, the territory was in the middle of a boom period when Sting was an adolescent. It'd be like if Mick Foley said wrestling wasn't on TV in New York when he was growing up.

Dave is the same age as Sting and also grew up in CA, and will frequently mention that not only was the local territory a big deal on TV, so was lucha. So even of he wasn't a fan, it seems implausible to have grown up where and when he did and not at least be aware pro wrestling is a thing.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

Dave is the same age as Sting and also grew up in CA, and will frequently mention that not only was the local territory a big deal on TV, so was lucha. So even of he wasn't a fan, it seems implausible to have grown up where and when he did and not at least be aware pro wrestling is a thing.

This out a visual in my head of Dave doing a cross body off of a balcony, and it made me smile.

Mike George was the WWA champion in Central States in the late 80’s. In that time frame noted there, I remember him more for being in Mid South. Obviously he worked for Geigel ad well and probably started there.

George also competed in IWE Japan near the end of its run, and in the AWA near the end as well.

I have a hard time with that match length, between those two, with no TV or even a real reference to that match anywhere else I’ve ever seen. I’ll stand corrected of course but I’d be more apt to buy it if it was at memorial hall in KC itself given the territory.

thwre are a few others on that list that make no sense to me either, especially in that they weren’t celebrated after the fact on tv as monumental events, at least what I’ve seen of those areas tv.

3 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Here's George wrestling a young Masahiro Chono during the dying days of Central States. He looks like a solid technician at least. Also, check out the handspring elbow from Chono.

"Dying days" is very true!  It's either "fans dress like empty seats" night or no one showed up for the card.  I enjoyed George's matches, from what I saw of them.  He was billed from St. Joseph, MO, so I agree with the poster who said that was probably the reason for the Flair match.  

10 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea of a 90 minute Pedro Morales match. :huh:

good lord, to think his hug fests on early 80s WWF cards make me long for the sweet release of death...

I don’t know exactly what it was, but apparently Davey Richards did something bad. He deleted all of his social media and independents are cancelling his bookings and rapidly distancing themselves from him.

Shows what I know. I didn’t even know he was still around, I thought he quit or something, but apparently he was in MLW recently.

10 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Apparently, documents from his divorce proceedings contain allegations of cocaine abuse and domestic violence. His MMA fetish is well-known, but emulating Jon Jones is taking it too far.

He has also always been a huge Dynamite Kid fan too…guess he took that to an absurd level as well? :huh:

He was VP of operations (the #2 guy on the corporate side) during the expansion era and one of VKM's closest friends. His tenure with the company ended after he picked a fight with Koko B. Ware during a European tour and got his ass kicked. The company fired Ware over the incident, but Troy either was fired himself or resigned after an investigation determined he was the instigator.

5 hours ago, Strummer said:

Yeah, Troy called Koko a racial slur. That happened in late 88 I believe and Koko was rehired around late 89/early 90.

When I read NintendoLogic's post I feared that there was some racism involved and not that Troy got into a fight and lost - the Bill Watts way.

I believe the Koko/Jim Troy hotel brawl was on the same European tour where JYD was fired for urinating on a bus that had a european tv exec on board and Muraco was fired for yelling at an agent  (Bockwinkel I think) in front of the boys and refusing to take a drug test. Or Muraco might have shown up drunk to a press conference. Or both.

Every bet one could place on the Universal Championship match at WrestleMania (Australian edition):

Match Winner, Will Roman Retain His Title, Method of Victory, First Near Fall, First Finishing Move Performed, First Signature Move Performed, No. of CrossRhodes Performed by Cody Rhodes, No. of Spears Performed by Roman Reigns, Will Cody Perform the Pedigree, Will the Rock Appear & Confront Roman Reigns, Will Any Member of the Bloodline Turn on Roman Reigns, The Announcers Table to be Flattened During Match, Cody Rhodes to Perform the CrossRhodes on Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso or Solo Sikoa (Bell to Bell), Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn to Appear Ringside, Cody Rhodes to be Superkicked by Jimmy Uso or Jey Uso (Bell to Bell), Solo Sikoa to perform the Samoan Spike on Cody Rhodes (Bell to Bell), WWE Championship Belt or Universal Championship to be used as Weapon, Either Cody Rhodes or Roman Reigns to be thrown through a table (not incl. announcers table), Sami Zayn to perform a Helluva Kick on Roman Reigns (bell to Bell), Kevin Owens to perform a Pop Up Power Bomb or Stunner on Roman Reigns (bell to bell), Rikishi to accompany Roman Reigns & The Bloodline for Roman Reigns entrance, Roman Reigns to Superman Punch Paul Heyman, Seth Rollins to Appear & Confront Winner of Match, Gunther to Appear & Confront Winner of the Match, Paul Heyman to switch his allegiance to Cody Rhodes.