TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A take:

Disco Inferno is buried way, way too much online by both fans and other wrestlers. Guy was a very over mid card guy who was very dependable to have a solid to sometimes very good much with just about anyone from any division or size on the roster. Particular after returning in 1997 after that 6 month break or whatever when he came back leaned out and much more aggressive in the ring. 

I'm talking just about him as a performer in WCW, not anywhere else, and not in regards to any stupid shit he says on podcasts or tweets.

Agreed. Disco was an entertaining comedy act, and I'm old enough to remember when people were excited about the rumor that he'd be revealed as Honky Tonk Man's protege (a role that ultimately went to "Rockabilly" AKA Billy Gunn AKA Daddy Ass).

Glenn Gilberti, on the other hand, is the stupidest, smuggest motherfucker on the planet. Arrogance without intelligence is a toxic combination, and Vinnie Ru's "bro" exemplifies it in spades. 

So, I understand why Cody Rhodes and fans feel inclined to bury him - because it's enormously satisfying putting someone like him so squarely and firmly in his place.

Early puroresu music's love of cheesy slick jazz fusion made that stuff grow on me. NJPW had three guys come out to disco-era Maynard Ferguson at some point, one of whom was Hogan. AJPW's producers loved stuff orchestrated by Richard Hewson because he did the strings on "Sky High" (you are not ready for Dick Murdoch's theme from that period). There has to be an alternate timeline where Herb Alpert's "Rise" doesn't become a #1 hit off of General Hospital and thereby becomes cheap enough for one of the networks to license.

Speaking of which, Francis Ngannou, possibly the greatest HW of this generation, is a free agent. Could he make the jump to professional wrestling? He's build like a goddamn statue and has one of the best life stories in UFC history. Plus he could tank bodyshots. He didn't get the money he deserved, so would a more lucrative contract entice him?

Here’s the thing…

Scientologists usually end up forking over a ton of their earnings to support the “church.” I’m willing to bet as soon as David Miscavige approaches the Hulkster with his hand out, Hogan will stroke his moustache and tell the beloved leader:

“That doesn’t work for me, brother.”

On 1/12/2023 at 6:06 PM, C.S. said:

A couple of us defended Disco as a fun and inoffensive midcard staple, but this is why he gets buried routinely and people take such great joy in putting his smug ass in his place.

LOL!  And I doubt that many were legit tuning in for Chris either at that point!

Let’s see, main event that night, a Nitro, is Sting & Luger vs Bret and Hogan…Goldberg has a Big Gold defense against Al Green…Jericho retained his TV title in a 3:16 (heh) in a glorified squash of Disco…okay it’s in the final hour so *shrug* and there was no Raw that week.

[url]https://pdrwrestling.net/2021/04/08/wcw-monday-nitro-08-31-98/[/url]

15 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Here’s the thing…

Scientologists usually end up forking over a ton of their earnings to support the “church.” I’m willing to bet as soon as David Miscavige approaches the Hulkster with his hand out, Hogan will stroke his moustache and tell the beloved leader:

“That doesn’t work for me, brother.”

Hulk vs Miscavige seems like the final boss fight of carny, the only thing that would make it better is if the winner gets kabong'd by Double J.